Lion Head Mesa It's always gonna stay the same
teach me your way
122 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Away
All Welcome 

The days came and gone, each moving slower than the last. There was only ever silence, save the patter of feet through the corridors and soft whimpers of those who still bore tears to cry. Sokha was beside herself, restless and unsure of how to best spend her time. The Pharaoh had not requested her presence. If not to be with him, who else? Sayf was suitable company, but it felt as if he neared only to please her every demand... and she had very few, if none at all. 

So, to pass the time, the girl quietly stalked through the halls, tending to her duties as a mazoi. The soldiers of Mereo had gone, aside from one. It was her turn to play the part, guarding the inner walls of the palace. But surely nothing would happen. Now she could only wait until her feet grew too tired to bear her weight.
Loner
seraphs sob at vermin fangs
693 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The palace remained one of Glaukos' least favorite places to have ever visited. It made sense to him that the pharaoh would favor vermin as his subjects, given that they could squeeze in to the most inhospitable places.

He took to watching as the fellahin went about their daily tasks. Sometimes he would catch them standing around but it was rare; so in this case, as he came upon the mazoi where they were stationed, he gave them a scrutinizing look.

To him it seemed suspicious. Glaukos did not know everything about Akashingo and its people, however. He had no knowledge of their combat readiness, for instance — so to see this waif milling about was, in his mind, something unnatural.

He leisurely (or as leisurely as a claustrophobic giant could manage within the tunneled hall) moved to a spot adjacent to where the fellahin was standing as if he meant to guard the opposite wall, and peered both up and down the corridor.

You one of the lazier of the slaves, then? Glaukos murmured in his puerile attempt at conversation.
teach me your way
122 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Away

Lacking its usual, soft glint, a barren gaze fell upon the man. This was one of the few times she'd seen him. As she remembered, he was the soldier Mereo had left as an extra means of defense for the tension filled palace.

I would not consider myself being lazy, She answered simply, ears flattening in slight towards his harsh assumption. This is what we mazoi often do. Our two worlds have their differences. You should not be so quick to judge. Now she sounded like a scolding mother. Sokha wondered how he would respond to such a sounding. With what temperament he now showed, she doubted it would end with a pleasant departure when the time came.
Loner
693 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Mazoi was not a word he knew, but he pocketed this as he'd stored many tidbits during his time here.

I do not judge, he clarified. His scouring of the hallway ended there, as he turned to look pointedly upon the woman. They looked to be of good health for all he could see, but small, and so he presumed many things.

You have the look of those fellahin that are always running around. I presumed that was your role here. A blink. You call yourself a mazoi, is that somehow different?

Perhaps those that the pharaoh tired of, or in some manner used up, were relegated with guard duty.
teach me your way
122 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Away

"I do not judge," he said.

It did not seem to be a fair reply, as his words held judgement within them. Perhaps she thought too quickly of judgement over other possibilities. 

Both roles have the duty to serve, but in different ways. You see, the fellahin are often beckoned to tend to personal needs... mainly those of nobles or stature seen suitable by the Pharaoh. The mazoi, however, use their free time to aid in guarding and patrolling the palace. Sometimes we are delegated special tasks or asked to receive and carry messages between one or more parties within these walls. When requested, we may also present ourselves to the Pharaoh to keep him company and even entertain him. There wasn't much to explain, but she was sure to include every detail she could offer.

Sokha looked upon him fully now, gaze more-so inquisitive, curious to see if he understood it all better.
Loner
693 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
From what Glaukos understood after the woman's explanation. she was little more than a servant, like the rest. He kept his deeper opinions to himself but did nod to show he understood.

So you are the same, but you have the added duty of protection. Here he drew a breath which sounded almost like a scoff. I wondered why Mereo would send a compliment of soldiers to look in to the queen's death, but I guess I have my answer. You don't have an army of your own.

That also gave Glaukos a further understanding of Mereo's importance to the pharaoh; suddenly the canyon that Glaukos missed so much felt imbued with power, whereas before he had not recognized it.