Redtail Rise israfel
Dragonspine
Alpha Female*
915 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade’s expression froze as the story unraveled from their mother’s clipped tongue. Their head filled with buzzing questions. Weren’t Ancelin and Lilia already planning to leave the rise themselves? Why had Avicus abdicated Wealda to Augur? What about her heir?

Their golden gaze found Mulherin, the final piece of the Redtail puzzle falling into place. Masque was glad to see him. Despite their age difference, he was their rock in many ways. But looking at him—and seeing the way Sky and Watcher looked at them—made the yearling’s heart pound.

Avicus made a hasty executive decision, announcing her imminent departure for parts unknown. Masquerade’s stomach rolled. They didn’t want to refute their mother’s decision, yet they instinctively resisted the thought of leaving the only home they’d ever known.

Everything was spinning off its axis again, this time at warp speed. They yearned for something to ground them. Redd and Mulherin seemed ready to go without hesitation or question. Perhaps they should be that unflappable too. But they weren’t. The yearling swallowed thickly, their belly knotted and legs suddenly trembling slightly. They couldn’t just leave.

Wait, Masque entreated them all, looking beseechingly toward Avicus. Lilia won’t remain here. She and Ancelin planned to leave anyway. They took a shaky breath, swallowed, steadied their voice. And this is Redtail Rise. Nobody should be able to just force us out of our home.

They didn’t understand why those two couldn’t leave now. Surely they wouldn’t want to stick around any longer, given the circumstances. Expediting their departure was the only viable solution to keep everybody’s peace and give them all what they wanted in the end. But surely this must have been suggested during the leaders’ meeting. Lilia must’ve refused to capitulate if Avicus was proposing something this otherwise preposterous.

Masquerade’s jaw creaked as they glanced at Mulherin again, drawing strength from their stalwart charge. Their eyes flicked to their other brothers and sisters, trying to remain calm. They thought of the other faces that should be here. They thought of Augur’s family. They thought of Ancelin and Lilia, bitterly now.

After another breath, they pointed at Nova Peak and implored, If we must leave the rise, it should only be temporarily. We should consider regrouping on the ridge to figure out what happens next, together. I know the territory well. I was hoping to suggest it as the site of a sister pack someday, Masque explained their proposed destination, swallowing a sigh along with all of their hopes and dreams.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messages In This Thread
israfel - by Avicus - November 01, 2023, 06:15 PM
RE: israfel - by Redd - November 01, 2023, 06:38 PM
RE: israfel - by Carrion - November 01, 2023, 06:50 PM
RE: israfel - by Raider - November 01, 2023, 07:07 PM
RE: israfel - by Roamer - November 01, 2023, 10:44 PM
RE: israfel - by Redsky - November 02, 2023, 02:30 PM
RE: israfel - by Avicus - November 02, 2023, 03:05 PM
RE: israfel - by Redd - November 02, 2023, 03:36 PM
RE: israfel - by Mulherin - November 03, 2023, 02:13 AM
RE: israfel - by Raider - November 03, 2023, 07:33 AM
RE: israfel - by Roamer - November 03, 2023, 08:03 AM