Stone Circle you can't go home again
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Joining 
set after this thread

Soon after they had divided up as much as they could carry and thoroughly buried the rest, to access later, Shale followed @Murdock south to his pack's territory, crossing through little glens and meadows on the way. In the distance appeared a circle of stones, the organized nature of which stood out to him as odd against the wilderness. He wondered briefly how it had come to be, but perhaps Murdock could tell him.

He lay down the leg he had been carrying and looked to his brother, waiting for him to make the call. . .or just stride right in. Shale still didn't know whether he led this pack or was merely a member, as they had all been up in Sameth. Come to think of it. . .he wondered if Grayday led a pack of his own. He had been, after all, the strongest of the litter, and the heir apparent to their family's land up north.

Shale had reservations about getting close to any of these wolves here. He had no idea whether he was just passing through, looking for family, or if he would stay. The winter would not dissuade him from continuing south; he thrived on the cold and snow. And he knew just how painful forging bonds with others could become.
304 Posts
Ooc —
"Buck up, buttercup," Murdock said bracingly, setting down the haunch he'd carried to lick a dribble of blood off the younger wolf's muzzle - any only succeeding in further reddening his fur, since his muzzle was as bloody as Shale's.

With that, Murdock tipped back his muzzle and howled for @Valette, not wanting to bring Shale any further without the woman's approval.
[Image: AIUhSFO.png?2]
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
SORRY FOR THE DELAY MY GOODNESS <3 it wasn't in my threadlog so I looked over this!

Valette heard Murdock's howl. She was quick on her feet to look what was going on. Valette approached the scene of where Murdock was licking a stranger. She was a bit surprised at the sight at first, though the stranger did look a bit like Murdock. Valette trotted closer. "Hello, Murdock," she greeted and then looked at the stranger. "Does this wolf wants to join?," she asked curiously. Valette knew there pack was pretty full already but perhaps there was a spot for him left.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
no worries <3

Shale flinched a bit as Murdock started to clean his muzzle, but otherwise said nothing, standing stoically as he waited for his brother to end his intrusive ministrations and for the alpha of this pack to arrive. In fact, relief far outweighed any sort of nerves as a dark female arrived, carrying herself like a leader.

He wondered if she knew Day or Spot. She addressed Murdock directly, but Shale would be damned if he let his older brother speak for him. He was, after all, not a baby anymore--if still the baby of the family.

"Greetings, ma'am," Shale said, dipping his head and lowering his tail in a manner that befitted speaking to the leader of a pack. He had been submissive for most of his life; he knew how to play the part, and well, at that. "My name is Shale. I have come to see if you'll have me here, in your group. I have lived through several winters and can provide for you and yours.

"I am Murdock's brother, too. And Grayday's littermate,"
he added, to see whether there was any spark of recognition in her eyes.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock just licked him once and then howled for Valette XD
Valette arrived in good time and made sure to say hello before turning to business - something Murdock always appreciated in other wolves. Especially when his own brother simply dove into negotiations without so much as a 'how do you do'.

"Hello, Val," Murdock replied when Shale was done speaking. It seemed as though his brother had gotten all the necessities out of the way. Nice of him, Murdock thought, pleased to have very little in the way of explaining to do. "You look stunning today, by the by."

But really, Murdock only had eyes for his brother, and could hardly keep himself from glancing in Shale's direction every few seconds, a dumb-struck look in his two-toned eyes. How was it that those of Sameth blood continued to find each other in this big, sprawling wilderness? Providence, surely.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette offered him a smile as she approached. Instantly he started to introduce himself. She was about to say that they didn't have room anymore, but she felt even worse when he explained he was Murdock's brother... AND Grayday?! Valette's head snapped to Murdock. "You never told me you were Grayday's brother?," she spoke in surprise. She was rather surprised by this news. No one ever told her.

"Gosh. I am so sorry but our ranks are full," she spoke. 'We have one traveling to find her children but I assume she will return to her ranks. We wouldn't have enough meals to feed all the adults, I think," she explained. But it was clear that she wished she could have done something. "I'm sorry, Shale. Grayday has been... loyal to a point and well Murdock saved the life of my daughter. So I would gladly give you a place in our ranks But there isn't a spot open right now," she spoke with a soft sigh. "Have you checked Grayday's pack?," she offered.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Shale felt a small rush of pleasure as her eyes widened and she spoke to Murdock. She did know Grayday! But any pleasure that came quickly dissipated as she launched into an explanation--the ranks were full, worried about food, and the like.

He knew she was right not to take on more wolves than the pack could feed. Winters were brutal--though not so much as up north--and Val had mentioned children, which threw an extra complicated variable into the mix. While disappointed, Shale could understand her reasoning.

"It's not a problem," he said politely, trying to keep his voice from sounding too flat. "Grayday's pack. . .I mean, no. I didn't know he was down here. I didn't know where any of my family had gone," he added, with a sidelong glance at Murdock. He flicked an ear at the alpha female, curious. "Do you know where his pack lives?"
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock wasn't surprised when Valette ignored his compliment. She'd made it pretty clear that she wasn't interested in him, but Murdock thought it might make her feel better to know that someone thought she was desireable.

He was surprised by Valette's reaction to the simple fact Shale had shared. Apparently, Grayday's name was known rather well at Easthollow - by its leader, at least. Murdock wondered if there'd been anything between the two of them. "I wasn't sure it'd be relevent," he replied, feeling chastened by Valette's near-accusing tone. "I found out a while ago that Sunny was my nephew, but after he left... I didn't think there'd be anyone left to care."

He looked to Shale for a moment, wondering if he and Grayday were still as identical as they'd seemed when they were young. "And anyway... neither of us have seen him in years." Murdock wondered if Day would even want to see them. Sometimes, he still wondered whether or not he wanted to see Day.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette didn't ignore his comment on purpose. She was rather focussed on the new wolf before them. These were all Grayday's bothers. Wow. She didn't know. Shale explained that he didn't know about his family and then Murdock followed that he didn't think it was important. Valette looked at the two of them. " I didn't know," she spoke. Just a general comment about they were family and that they hadn't seen each other.

'Um yes! He moved from this region to another. It was on the other side of the mountains. I don't know the exact location," she admitted. The female then looked at Murdock. "Sunny should still be there. Anyhow, perhaps there is some space in your brother's pack?,' she offered. "I'm sorry I can't do more now." She then looked at Murdock again. "He should be around somewhere. Cross the mountain range to the other side and then follow it west," she suggested.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Her voice grew faint in his ears as the realization of the conversation hit him. Grayday was here. And nearby. He had missed his littermate, his closest brother, for years. Now, at last, he had a chance to reunite with him once more.

Dragging himself, though quite unwillingly, back into the conversation, Shale nodded, giving the dark female a small smile. "Thank you, Val," he said, voice trailing off at the last word--had Mur used her full name, or was it a nickname--but sounding grateful all the same. "I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction."

With a flick of his tail, he stood uncomfortably, waiting to see what Murdock would do or say before departing himself.

last post
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock's expression grew somewhat slack at Valette's directions. How close was he? Had Valette been there? Would it take long? Would Stephie miss him? "Do you know... about how long it would take?" he asked, his voice cracking a tiny bit near the end. He glanced at Shale, begging him to wait a moment. There were many paths suddenly laid out before him, and it'd been a long time since Murdock had felt the weight of such decisions.

"I think - I need to see him. But I don't want to be gone too long..." He wondered if he needed to say Steph's name, or if Valette would simply know. He supposed it didn't matter either way.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded shortly to the male as he thanked her. "You are welcome, Shale," she smiled. She was a bit uncertain about him using her nickname but then again, it wasn't like he had offended by it. Mostly formalities. Seeing that she didn't accept him as a pack member it was just stranger. "Feel free to go with him, Murdock. I can hold down the fort, especially with the pups. I have Nanook and Noma helping, plus Ezekiel stepped up too. I can tell Steph you will return soon if you like that?," she offered to him.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock looked briefly uncertain; he wanted to say goodbye to Stephie himself, but Shale seemed ready to go, and he wasn't about to let the boy walk out of his life again. He was sick of being the odd man out, and getting in with Easthollow had proved to take more effort than Murdock had left in him.

"Will you tell her I went to visit my brother?" he requested, hoping Valette would agree and then actually follow through. (Murdock had agreed to do a great many things he never actually got around to.) "I don't want her to think I'd up and run for just anything," he explained, worried that his absence might hurt the dark girl's feelings.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded at Murdock. "Of course, Murdock. She will know that you will visit your brother. She will understand," she spoke and nodded once more. She didn't want her daughter to be hurt either so she would tell her. She wouldn't ruin their relationship on purpose. Valette offered him a smile. "You deserve to see Grayday, Mur," she spoke. "Now I will go tell, Steph."