Ankyra Sound There are times that walk from you like some passing afternoon
what's a little sweetheart like you
doing with a bloody nose?
576 Posts
Ooc —
A silence, mournful and interminable, set between them. For a long time while Ephraim tried to make sense of what Raleska had said, Raleska tried to make sense of life -- and how it had gotten to this.

At last the spell of quiet was broken. What do you mean? Raleska looked up to Ephraim helplessly, gesticulating with an upturned spread of her forepaws -- as if to say -- how to even start?

And how to start? Her gaze hardened as she looked back to the ground, studying the cracks in between her pawpads, the blunted edges of her claws. Little fissures here and there, callouses, worn skin..  Where to start?

She heaved a sigh. This was a story she did not want to tell Ephraim. Not because he didn't deserve it -- she believed he deserved closure same as her -- but because it painted her explicitly as the culpable party. It would put her in a black light, and once she spread it all out there on the table for Ephraim to see, it would likely change how he looked at her -- permanently.

And they were such strangers, weren't they? If it weren't for the fact they were siblings, would he -- or would she -- have put all of their bad blood behind them in this moment?

"She left." Raleska's voice was despondent, but tightened. "Sometime last spring, once it was sure that Drageda was gone. She went back to Easthollow, with one of our packmates... Vercingetorix." She glanced up to read if there was any recognition at all on Ephraim's face - either for Easthollow, or Vercingetorix. She barely remembered Easthollow at all.. but she would never forget Vercingetorix's face. "He came back, without her. He told us she had killed one of the Easthollow puppies and that he did not stick around once he realized that was her reason for the trip." A sad smile danced briefly across her face, as fleeting as light on the water. "And he said she was as good as dead. And for a long time, I believed it. Svalinn had gone after them when they first left, and when he returned to us he said she was dead -- that he had left her, too.." Her voice cracked -- she realized now, all of Caiaphas' children had left her.

Another sigh, with pale plumes like dragonsmoke rising from her parted jaws. "So much happened while she was away. Vercingetorix turned on Illidan, and became alpha.. And then there were others, and then Aningan chased Vercingetorix out.. And I had to find a new family, because mine was all gone.. My mom was dead, Illidan had just walked out one day and never came back.. and..." Raleska looked to Ephraim almost apologetically as she continued: "..and well, you were dead too.. but in a different way. So I found my place, but it wasn't with my blood-kin. It was with Rosalyn and Erzulie, and their family.. Because they had always been there, and unlike mom they didn't bring chaos and misery wherever they went."

Raleska paused, realizing now she was at the point of her story where Ephraim would see her in her real light. Would he rip the throat from her like she deserved? Would he even understand -- and if so, how could he? She couldn't delay revealing her hand in this all much longer, but all the same, she dreaded it.

"Then, a month or so ago -- seven months after I had seen her last.. Mom showed up at Rusalka.. but Rosalyn was already there, and I had to pick!" Her voice took on a pleading edged with desperation. "I had to decide between someone who hadn't been in my life for months - someone who just.. went on and on and on, always fighting, always some new enemy to kill or plot against, to the point of exhaustion..  I had to pick between that and stability.. and I.." Quietly now, Raleska admitted it all. "I picked Rosalyn. Rusalka.

And.. she didn't even fight it. She just looked at us both, and then at Aningan.. and she left." Raleska's voice choked as she remembered how Caiaphas had sped away.. How she hadn't even looked back. "She wasn't.. sick then.. but she wasn't well, either. I don't think she was ever well.. but it was my fault. I should have stayed with her, or followed her.. and instead I.. turned my back on her and....."

Well, they both knew what came next.
all of which makes me anxious,
at times unbearably so.
Messages In This Thread
RE: There are times that walk from you like some passing afternoon - by Raleska - January 26, 2020, 04:16 PM