Duskfire Glacier and suddenly i'm someone that prays
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Arius's measured bearing broke, and Lane briefly witnessed the grieving child within. Here was a great pain, lashing out at the bars of its cage, but truly, what was was it that sought to contain this pain? Was it cold, cunning ambition that caged the boy's emotions? Lane's feelings for Arius were now a blend of deep empathy, fear and mistrust. She had no idea how to begin to sort out her emotions.

"I'm sorry, Arius," Lane murmured. It could be worse, she supposed. He could have blamed Lane or Eldrtich, or even himself for failing to save his father. At least he was only blaming the medicine, which was indeed quite limited in its ability to truly heal. In fact, this was why Lane insisted on being called a medic rather than a healer. There is no mysticism in medicine. She does not heal a body, a body heals itself. Or it doesn't, in the case of Wintersbane. 

"Issorartuyok is a leader because he has earned my respect. He was elevated to aid me and lead at my side, similar to how your father elevated Tzila to lead at his." As she spoke the words, Lane realized exactly how Meerkat had drawn the conclusion that Lane and Issorartuyok were coupled. Lane banished the errant thought. 

Something ugly shifted inside Lane when the boy purported to know Wintersbane's will. "Wintersbane did not found Duskfire Glacier alone. I founded it alongside him, before you were ever a twinkle in your mother's eye. And now I am the only founding member who remains." Wintersbane and Tzila were dead. Iana was gone. Imaq was gone, with Rye chasing after her. "Wintersbane was my friend." Once, he was even her lover. "Do not deceive yourself into thinking you know better what Wintersbane wanted, or that you are the only one given to living out his will." Hot tears stung Lane's eyes, and she turned away from the boy.  

Wintersbane's children would have their legacy, she would make sure of it. Truly, that was the reason Lane had volunteered to lead. She wished to protect the Duskfire legacy for the Duskfire children-- hers included-- and to cultivate the legacy's growth. But she would do the Duskfire heirs no favors if she promised power to children who had not earned it. She wished for Duskfire to remain strong, and part of that was insuring that it was not inherited by spoiled, entitled children.
Messages In This Thread
and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 06:48 AM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 12:06 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 12:25 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 01:12 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 01:20 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 02:05 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 02:27 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 03:01 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 03:24 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 03:56 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - November 28, 2021, 04:13 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - November 28, 2021, 05:17 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Ensio - November 28, 2021, 08:54 PM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Arius - December 01, 2021, 06:58 AM
RE: and suddenly i'm someone that prays - by Lane - December 02, 2021, 03:28 PM