The Heartwood short sleeves
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Spree 
@Bartholomew spree request?!

After that incident, Diantha needed something to clear her head. And get that awful taste out of her mouth. She headed toward the nearest source of water, which happened to be a river that flowed on the eastern edge of the forest. Here, she dipped her head and drank deeply, filling her belly with as much water as she could stand. The taste and smell wasn't quite gone, but it was certainly an improvement.

It didn't exactly fix the fact that her stomach was empty again, though. She was hungry and she was still a shitty hunter. Groaning, she figured she had better seek out somebody else to do the hunting for her. Lord knows she wasn't going to catch anything on her own.

Maybe it was pathetic, or maybe it was smart. She liked to think it was the latter when she lifted her head and called out to anybody who might be near. Then, she waited.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
:D !

he was not much of a hunter, but he knew one and he had learned how to be of assistance to a hunt.

besides, it was always good when somebody wanted company. it meant he could swoop in and converse with them on the many things he knew.

what he had not expected was who he came upon.

a lone young woman. unguarded, not marred with the scent of much besides…something ever so slightly acidic and unfavorable?

He had never turned away the sick and bartholomew would not do the same.

a blessed day! he called bright and warm to her.
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Jackpot! was the one word that came to mind when the stranger approached. Sure, he was a little weird-looking, but it wasn't like she could stand to be picky right now. And sure his greeting was a bit off-kilter, but Diantha preferred this to the gruff asshole she'd been stalking before. And it was certainly better than watching some boy shit himself right in front of her. So far, this was the best of her options.

Blessed day! she echoed. That was another tip she'd picked up from Tierra. Do what others do, and you'll blend in. Act like them, and they'll like you. Or something like that.

I was hoping you might be able to help me, she said. I could really use a meal.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
ah, what was this?

she returned his greeting and the top of his folded ears perked slightly. how odd! he could only hope this was a good omen.

even if she did seem to beg for a meal.

i travel with a strong hunter, perhaps it was not his place to offer @Shiranui but he did so all the same. i am certain he can feed you, if you are interested.

bartholomew could go short one meal in exchange for this young girl.

i can take you to him?

an offer with his own intentions behind them.
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Dang, she was right on the money with this whole jackpot thing. And really, what did she have to lose? She was here to survive, not to make friends. Not that he needed to know that.

Oh, that would be so gracious of you, she said, already feeling the saliva pool in her mouth. A fresh, warm meal would go a long way to keeping her alive. Then she could cut and run like she always did.

My name's Carla. Do you live around here?
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
he, of course, felt bathed in light at her graciousness compliment.

not that he’d let it show as he kept his eyes fixed to where the hunter should be. never very far, was he? bartholomew only hoped that held true today too.

i am bartholomew. i travel with a hunter to spread the good word.

his lips momentarily curled.

are you familiar with it, carla?
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
A traveler then. Spreading the good... word? She was not familiar with it, but her spidey sense told her to tread carefully here. He did have a pretty name, she had to admit. But where was this hunter of his? Diantha knew her patience wouldn't last long, but some patience was necessary if she wanted to eat.

She sat down, feigning great interest in "the good word" with her ears tipped forward and her eyes wide. What's the good word? she asked, bracing herself for any number of crazy half-baked explanations. But she'd put on her innocent face and listen for as long as he wanted to talk... so long as that meal was delivered in a reasonable amount of time.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
it’s God — and how He created everything we see around us! even us!

he started simple and with a warm smile. words he had said tens if not hundreds of times. this was a very familiar pattern for him by now.

are you familiar with Him at all?

he had his doubts seeing as she did not know what he had meant with the good word, but perhaps she knew Him by His name.
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
God? She hadn't heard of that guy before, let alone some crackpot idea that he'd created everything. This guy was a total nutter, but she was hungry. Maybe his hunting buddy would be here soon. And maybe he was a little less nutty. In fact, maybe the hunting buddy was the caretaker of this obviously ill dude. That seemed to make a lot more sense, so she decided that was the truth of things.

I don't believe I am. Where does this God fella live? Or does he travel with you, too? Like your hunter friend?
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
i suppose He travels with us through my faith, but He is not like my hunter friend.

not at all!

He lives through His followers, but He has a heavenly kingdom that can be joined if you devote your life to Him, let Him shine through your actions and words.
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Yep, yep, yep. This was total nonsense. Diantha had heard tales of religion, but she'd never actually seen it up close. Now here she was, standing face-to-face with somebody who believed that if you followed some kind of moral teachings, you would be rewarded. What a load of horseshit that was. Diantha had only ever been rewarded with hardship when she'd been younger, and what had she done to deserve that? Fucking nothing.

Still, she kept her stoic face, careful not to let on that she thought he was absolutely off his rocker.

And you, you're one of his followers? And your hunter friend, too? Where was that guy, anyway. Bartholomew was talking a big game, and "Carla" was going to split soon if she didn't see any evidence of this hunter.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
i am a follower, yes. a missionary sent to spread His word to wolves like you.

a brief curl of his lips in what could be considered a smile.

my hunter is not, but he provides for me and i pray for him.

it was a bit foreign, but bartholomew allowed it. mainly because he had grown soft in the face of the man who fed him. survival sometimes brought out the best — just as it did the worst.
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Diantha was unlikely to devote her time to anyone, let alone a whole lifetime. Carla, on the other hand, was very, very interested in what Bartholomew had to say. She just had to keep reminding herself of that. Carla wanted into this kingdom, and Carla was a gullible dummy who would fall for something like this.

"Think like Carla," she thought to herself.

And he would provide if I prayed for him, too? she asked, eyes wide and glassy.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
i am certain he would.

his sharp features soft with his warm smile.

he is a kind man despite his waywardness from God. sometimes he wanders from me, as well. an attempt at humor before he called for the man, not very inclined to search for him when this woman was so polite and waiting.

a warm call for @Shiranui to come to his aid, there is a mouth to feed that is not either of their own!
107 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Well, wasn't that somethin'! This mythical "God" was gonna give her grub, and all she had to do was some silly praying. Don't worry, we can wait here until he comes with food, she assured Bartholomew. Of course, Diantha didn't plan on sticking around much longer after that, but he didn't need to be burdened with those pesky details.

fade here and make some assumptions? i figure she'd stick around for a few days and then eventually slip away. :)
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
perfect with me! :D closing up!

she was an angel in disguise, perhaps.

clueless and wayward but a kind soul. patient and eager to learn. it was the sort of thing that made bartholomew feel even further inspired in his tasks.

he would grow to enjoy her company — oblivious to her blasphemous act.