Bearclaw Valley saturn
28 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 

he departed from the goat littered hillside with little to show for it. down into a meadow where he found a few birds to tide over the worst of any hunger. it was a pitiful kind of existence, the best he knew.

until he smelled borders at the edge of the meadows where the land once more rose. there was always more potential in numbers. it provided safety, food and some semblance of order.

he offered a whooping call, more muddled by coyote instinct than wolf. then waited a few yards away from the most distinct markers.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
The call from the borders sparked resentment in her heart. Who had come to the valley? Another traitor who would pretend to be worthy until it no longer suited them? She thought it was likely. She made her way there, anyway. She was at mosskeep, so the trek there didn't take her very long.

She strode gracefully from the shadows, her expression menacing as she took in the stranger. She studied him shrewdly for a few silent moments, unsure if she would ask questions or go for his throat; the latter was probably where it would end up anyway.

You have requested judgement from the bear. She was feeling merciful today. Why.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
I'm skippable since I don't want to hold this up, I'll post when I can!

Like Arielle, Aventus attended the borders out of a sense of protectiveness rather than any belief that whoever was calling would be a benefit for Ursus. The pack was very small now, and there was still the matter of the dog. Bernadette's resemblance to a bear made his stomach churn with hate and grief. How long could he abide her living here when she reminded him so much of Merrick's spirit and how it had sowed nothing but pain into his life?

He came from the opposite direction and arrived in time to hear his wife's words, which made his gut clench. Long had he deliberated how to tell her that he was through with following the bloodthirsty bear's will, but he could not do it, not yet, not knowing she might consider him a traitor as well if he spoke it out loud. He joined her silently, troubled but saying nothing, and fixed his gaze on the dark stranger instead of his wife.
28 Posts
Ooc —
the bear? was she the bear? or perhaps the man who drifted to her side was the bear. whatever the bear may be, it didn't cross cyril's mind that she may be speaking literally.

be stupid not to. he admitted, bland but honest as his beady black eyes tried to avoid her shrewd gaze. not creatures made to be alone. still honest, still plain in his intentions and looks.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
She felt her mates presence more than anything and shifted closer when he arrived at her side. He said nothing; she knew he felt as she did, that no one could be trusted. 

The man spoke and seemed like he was being honest, but the bruin-heart couldn't be sure. How could she ever trust anyone other than her mate ever again? Val had proven worthy time after time, and look where that trust had gotten her. Stryx and Ash too—almost everyone had let Ursus down in when it came time to see where their loyalties truly lay. 

You wish to stay here? she asked. A pensive frown crinkled her face. Ursus is not for the weak. How do I know you are not weak? She supposed she could put him through some kind of test, but Val had come face to face with the bear and still ended up being weak; a test would prove absolutely nothing.
28 Posts
Ooc —
the age old question. time and time again all groups, packs, bands always wanted to know. how was he not weak? what could he do? how could they trust him? no time had he had some sort of cunning answer to give and that remained true even now.

you don't. he rolled bony shoulders. kick me out at the first sign, chase me off now. make use of me and then chuck me out before i show any weakness. so that he could do all of this all over again.

whatever you do, i ain't here to force your hand on it.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
She laughed but it was not a sound of amusement; it likely sounded more mad than anything else. If we discover that you are weak, the bear will demand your life. There will be no kicking you out; there will only be our teeth. And blood. Like Stryx—her blood was a congealed pool at the bottom of stillrift; the memory of it pleased her. 

Do you still want to be judged by the bear? She shifted some next to Aves, unconsciously moving closer to him.
28 Posts
Ooc —
as much as he could convince himself that he didn't have to do this — joining, the bear judgement, entertaining her answers — he knew he also very much needed to do this. despite his lacking personality, he had meant it when he said he wasn't a creature built to be alone.

yes, he answered. still honest. maybe a bit more serious and solemn now at her words. but what end would he rather meet? a death with a belly full and sheltered place or a death out in the wilds hungry and alone.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
He had to posses some level of bravery to agree to be judged after learning it could cost him his life—that or he was stupid or crazy, maybe both; they would find out soon enough. If he proved weak, then he would join Stryx's body in stillrift to rot there with the other traitor. 

Fine, she said with a probing look. The bear will know your heart soon enough. And then she would know it too. The bear had spoken to her more since the dark day than it ever had before. 

She would allow him to cross the borders unless Aves did not agree with her decision.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
No telling whether this guy was brave or stupid. Probably some combination of both. Aventus observed the exchange between his mate and the stranger with an inscrutable expression. Internally, every mention of the bear made him wince.

Would Arielle spill his blood if she knew his heart? He admired how she fit into Ursus like she'd known it all her life. She was a shining paragon for the type of recruit Ursus wanted. He loved her, but quailed at how much her newfound savagery unsettled him.

And what, exactly, do you bring to Ursus? That was the other side of it. Aventus hadn't cared for Merrick's joining interviews before, but with a dog in their ranks that he considered useless and a host of formerly trusted comrades showing their true colours after taking resources, leaving Ursus shorthanded indeed, he didn't have much tolerance left for charity cases.
28 Posts
Ooc —
very excited :D thanks you guys!

i'm a good hunter, he would do better now, he thought. more teeth to help and he could spare a meal in exchange for skill. this skill set would show better in a group than it would by himself.

also good at reading the land. plants, animal patterns, weather. learned it while traveling. he figured if they weren't pleased by this answer then perhaps it was for the best he had led with hunting.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
<3

Her husband brought up a good point. It might be helpful to know if this man would actually provide something for the pack. She had been preoccupied with whether or not he was worthy. Both were important, but that just told her that she and the bruin-jaw were two parts of a whole. They balanced each other; she thought so at least. 

Her eyes focused on the coywolf again, silently willing him to answer. 

That he was a hunter was mostly unimpressive; most wolves could hunt or they wouldn't be alive. But the reading of the land and the weather, that piqued her interest and it showed in the slight raise of her eyebrows. 

If my husband accepts your answer, then later you will tell me how you read the earth and sky, she demanded.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Aventus didn't put a lot of stock in things like weather watching — he didn't put much stock in anything anymore, truth be told — but from his periphery he took note of Arielle's interest. Cyril would prove to be an asset to Ursus or he wouldn't, but finding out might be worth it if his mate could learn something new.

Very well, he said, lowering his muzzle and giving Cyril room to cross and trade scents across their pelts if he wished. What are you called?
28 Posts
Ooc —
he walked into his new home. mingled their scents as was only right, so he didn't get...tested by the bear or whatever. he was convinced it was a saying at this point. maybe the bear was like a spirit or concept more than an actual bear come to devour him.

cyril, he offered with a brief flash of a grin that looked out of place on his features. not an expression that was worn often enough or well enough to have any home on his face.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
Arielle, she offered in return. She would allow Aves to introduce himself before continuing. 

She allowed the brush of the skeptics fur against hers, then she turned to Cyril. Once you feel settled, come find me; we have much to discuss. She wasn't offering him a choice. If he proved to be a traitor bound to rot in stillrift, she wanted to get as much information from him as possible. 

That was all she had to say to him for now. Excitement welled up in her chest and she released it by reaching up and brushing her muzzle through the dark fur of the bruin-jaw's neck. 

She had work to do in mosskeep; maybe her mate would join her. 

last from me <3
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Aventus, he said right after his wife had given her name. He leaned into her gentle touch against his jaw, and yearned to follow her wherever she went, but he had his own duties. Paranoia had a tight grip on him these days. There was only a small stretch of borders to man thanks to the high walls of the valley. That had always been enough for Aventus to feel secure, but not anymore.

You may find me patrolling if you need me, but I will leave you to check out the valley for yourself, he told Cyril before peeling away to his own perceived duties. The valley was safe. The valley was secure. But he had to check one more time, just to be certain. It was always one more time, ever since smacking his head.