Northstar Vale tracking
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
All Welcome 
maybe @Arsenio? :D

he had settled into a routine. when he and @Towhee were not among the lotus spring, he was trying to learn the other animals that called epoch home. so far he had discovered the ptarmigans along the rocky sides of the vale seemed easiest.

but they would not survive on birds alone.

which meant he must learn where the nearest herd to the vale wolves might cross. perhaps the northern meadow, not so far from the springs.

how nice that would be...

learing ptero from towhee. words that are signed will be portrayed -like this-
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The redstone man was fortunate to cross paths with Maxim. There had been little time for Arsenio to get to know Towhee’s husband. She had mentioned him, with her children, and had appeared to be happy with the family she’d made. He knew there were many others of course. She boasted the size of the Redhawks, and with good reason. It showed that she loved her kin.

Maxim, hello, the russet-furred mercenary greeted in his approach. The strides that carried him closed the space between them swiftly. Glacial blue eyes traced the frame of the man. His coat was dark, softened with marks of earthy brown.

What can I help you with, today?

The query was warm and made with a toothy smile. Arsenio meant to assist Maxim in whatever he was doing.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
it was the head man himself! yet maxim knew better than to treat him like the imperator. so the extent of showy respect was a nod for a moment.

i should ask you that, no? he beamed with humor before he motioned for the man to come closer. they could walk as a unit. but i am hoping to learn what prey calls epoch home too. i figured another trained hunter for the winter will be nice — and tamar suggested it as well.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
No, Arsenio did not think that his wolves owed him anything. Their home was one of education. If Maxim sought to expand his knowledge and to begin teaching classes to their young ones, the Arche would support and assist in any way he could. Towhee and her family were an important addition to their vale home. They would be treated with fairness and respect.

There are many that favor the vale. We are not the only ones to see it’s best qualities, Arsenio offered, smiling broadly.

I have seen the deer come to drink from the lakes and bed down in the trees nearest the mountain. The goats venture down from the rocks to feed, too. There are weasels, voles, beavers, otters, and frogs. These were just the prey animals that he had stocked their caches with. Having such a lush territory allowed them to find a variety of prey. We have not even talked about the fish! A laugh sounded from the red man’s lips.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
start me with the land first! he laughed warmly. delighted to be given such a grand list. it would be good to see all these things, learn to hunt them all.

the herds will be valuable, if make them feel...safe? it was not a proper word! they would never feel safe if they were hunted but — not be greedy with them, i suppose. another smaller laugh before he came thoughtful once more. i would like the task of watching the herds most, i think.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The land, first… but before that, Arsenio would mention the gold-furred stag.

There is one I am not sure I wish to hunt. A stag with tines of many seasons on his head. His fur is golden, bright. When I have seen him, he is not afraid. I believe he may know more of the vale than we ever will.

Arsenio wondered what Maxim would say to this. If their families suffered during the cold of winter, the Arche would not stand by his decision to spare the majestic beast. It was a matter of survival. If their children did not starve and they were not subjected to suffering during the cold season, Arsenio saw no reason to take the stag’s life.

As for the land – we are protected on all sides by the mountain. If that were not enough, there are four major bodies of water that feed into several streams and rivers. In the center is a bright red-leaf forest. There is green woodland in every corner. Epoch is a paradise to many animals, I believe.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
it was a wondrous thing. truthfully, he could not ever imagine this in mereo. then we will learn from him. not hunt him. he agreed with a firm nod. if the day ever did come, he imagined it might touch upon the heart of the arche.

but they could move on with an understanding among one another.

i will see to it that they continue to make epoch home for a long while, so that we make epoch home for even longer. his tail swayed behind him. uncertain how he would do such a task! yet he felt committed to it. you have the mind of a skilled man, arsenio. he rumbled warmly, eyes bright.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Appreciation for Maxim warmed the Arche. Even if the hunter did not agree, he seemed willing to spare the stag. He suggested that they learn from it. How fitting for Epoch to expand their knowledge on what might fill their bellies. Arsenio believed that they would have stores for the winter and fish for when the meats ran low. The deer were more likely to return to the vale if they were intelligent about how many they took from their herds.

Maxim was swift to give his compliments. The redstone wolf eyed his companion with a toothy smile. He liked to know that there were talented wolves in Epoch. It made him feel that they had a good chance at a sound future. The potential existed and that was enough.

What kind of a man are you, Maxim? A hunter. A husband. A father. I know these things, but you were a man before that, too.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maxim felt a bit...shy under the question. he had not been a man before those things! he had been a boy, finding his place in the world. mereo had given him order. towhee had given him family and later on love. all of the things before felt that they had not mattered anymore.

i was not, i do not think. i was young — he practically still was! before mereo i was a rowdy boy who wished to take the world by storm. now i am...here! loved and entering a period of teaching with a wife by my side, children too. i do not think of the times before anymore.

in fact, he only ever looked to the future now.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Are you alright if we fade this one? I’d love a more recent one, now that the holidays are over! <3

Arsenio understood what Maxim was saying. He had only been a boy.

The Arche’s youth had been filled with war and marching. He did not look back on it fondly. Similarly to what the hunter said, Arsenio preferred to keep his sights trained ahead. To look back was to lose oneself in things that could never be changed. Both men had grown out of that stage and stood in the lush paradise of Epoch.

To what lies ahead, then. Arsenio nodded and smiled warmly.

It was time for them to hunt.