Hushed Willows So Hungry
86 Posts
Ooc — Tuft
Joining 

"Hunger." That’s all that Tuft could think about. It has been about two and a half weeks since his last meal, and even then, it was a measly squirrel that he found dead and half eaten. 

His ribs can clearly be seen under his dark gray fur. The white fur on his stomach shifts as his stomach growls in pain. "This might be my last day here." He thought solemnly. Tears stream down his black-streaked white muzzle, remembering the night that he became the sole survivor of his pack. "At least I’ll be with my pack again."

Tuft had been on his own now for the past three months, wandering the Sunspire Mountains in hopes for food. Now looking for a place to rest, he picks the closest tree to him: a willow tree. A burst of scent, a marker signifying that this is another wolf pack’s territory, bombards his nose. Worry fills him for a brief moment, but he tells himself that he’ll probably be dead way before anyone could ever find him.

He circles around on a spot under the tree before plopping down on the hard crunchy snow. He starts to close his eyes, the mist surrounding the area turning into snow. 

Suddenly, Tuft hears a twig snap. He jumps up, the scruff on his neck raised.

He whispers in the open air, “H-Hello? Is there someone out there?”.

lawmen, women or a shallow grave
same ol' blues just a different day
146 Posts
Ooc — Twin
boone had not been far. the marsh was open and vast, and the least defensible of hearthwood's land. this meant stronger marks were necessary, and the harbinger was not a man of nonsense nor wasted time.
by the time the sun lurched central to the sky, every tree smelled strongly of him. save for one.
as he approaches, he notices the form of a young man followed by a sheepish call out, and quickly drinks him in with a stern squint of dark eyes.
hey, fella, his voice is thunderous. his paw reaches out to touch the exposed spine. get up.
86 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

Tuft glances upward for a brief moment at the voice that called out to him, immediately averting his eyes at the massive and dominating wolf.

Struggling to get back up, Tuft wearily stands. "Please...Please don't hurt me." Tuft shakily says. "But if you have to, make it quick. I deserve it." I bow my head deeply in recognition of his power and authority.

146 Posts
Ooc — Twin
i ain't gonna hurt you, son.
not yet, at least.
boone shuffles backward to allow the man his space; to run, or perhaps to prepare himself for an impending attack. his eyes glisten as he scans the frail figure. his tail stands stiff in a proud flag.
this is hearthwood's land. name's boone. s'my pack, his head dips. you don't know nothin' 'bout where you are, do you?
86 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

Even in his own state of starvation and exhaustion, Tuft couldn't help but feel embarrassed. "Heh, I guess you could say that. My name's Tuft. Before three or four seasons ago, I never even left my den." 

Tuft paused to gather his thoughts, tail tucked between his legs. "I...I know that this is a lot to ask...but is there any way that you could spare a scrap of meat? I promise you will never see me again after, I swear. I just haven't eaten anything in a while."

146 Posts
Ooc — Twin
food. this guy wanted food.
he was lucky that hearthwood kept an overabundance from the recent bison hunt. otherwise, boone may have said no. somewhere in the snow and dirt, scattered across the willows, were many caches he had dug for safe-keeping; all storing frozen meat. with a soft sigh, boone padded toward the nearest one now.
after a time, he returns dragging a section of ribcage, meat still hanging upon the bones. he would stay to watch him eat. you got anywhere you call home, tuft?
86 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

Meat! He would have never thought he would see such a glorious sight. Drool immediately starts dripping from his muzzle the moment he first laid his eyes on it. Pure instinct took over as he gorges himself on the frozen and rock hard piece of rib. Bits of food and blood smear all over his muzzle.

After he finished devouring the meat laid before him, he expresses his gratitude towards Boone.

Boone, thank you. You saved my life. I did have a home. It was north of the Snowforest Taiga called “Glacia Tempest”. My pack, The Frostbites, were attacked by a bear called Noctus. I was just a pup at the time. Noctus killed everyone in my pack and destroyed my den. That was about a year and a half ago now. I’ve been on my own ever since.”

The expression on Tuft’s face changed from fear and worry, to a look of confidence and courage. 

“You saved my life.” Tuft said. “And for that I must repay you. If your pack permits it, I could be your protector. I have fought many creatures before by myself. If you don’t want me to do that, please let me aid you in some other way.” 

146 Posts
Ooc — Twin
the boy spills himself before boone could even have a chance to interview him. he seemed genuine. this pleased him.
he tells a tale of a home wrought by an ursine; a long travel here. boone knew the feeling, even if he did not say it.
you must be awfully determined if you've made it this far, he quips, the hard edges of his façade softening. tell you what. you can rest up here, see how you like it in these parts. then one day we'll see about makin' a warrior out of you. deal?
he'd have to alert his wife of the new mouth to feed, though he couldn't help but assume she wouldn't mind. a small smile traces his jaw. just remember not to go wanderin' through borders uninvited. not everyone will give you the time of day to explain yourself.
86 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

A grin spreads on Tuft's face. "Deal!" Tuft's tail starts excitedly swaying at the small bit of hope that he might have a new pack. He could actually protect people. 

"I would like to think that my determination is the one thing that has kept me alive this far." Tuft said in a confident manner. "My mother was the most fearsome predator I know, I would like to think I learned a thing or two from her." 

"Once again, thank you. Your kindness and generosity will forever be remembered and appreciated. I promise I will help you out as much as I can." Tuft said. "Should I wait here until you have told your pack about me?"