Ocean's Breath Plateau 'Cause I could be in love if I really tried
Moontide
Healer
123 Posts
Ooc — xynien
All Welcome 
Marina knew that something was wrong even before the fever set in, before the aching stiffness crept into her limbs and nausea began to plague her at a new intensity. Her first pregnancy had been no walk in the park, but this was something new. And it scared her.

For that reason, and for @Tullik's sake, she wore a brave face. She spoke nothing of her own discomfort. It would pass, she was sure.

But sometime in the night, Marina worsened rapidly. Her fever heightened; soon she couldn't sleep past her own trembling. There was a midwife in Moontide, she knew that, but in her muddled state she did not think of @Kukutux. As she slipped from the den in the early hours of the morning, thinking that she shouldn't disturb Tullik's sleep, she wondered about her husband. She wondered when he would come home.

Marina went to the water. She felt a little as if she might be dying, but there was no panic in her for it. Nothing but the distant notion that if she did die, it was best done in the water, so that Tullik would never need to see her like that. She closed her eyes as she stepped into the water, still trembling fiercely.
Moontide
First Warrior
851 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
tags for ref, hopefully good <3

in triumph, chakliux returned with @Raiyuk and matteo (@Taggak). the former was brushed with great joy, the second with thoughtfulness. in the days to come, the young man would choose to depart for a further seal hunter village, anticipating his own time upon the sea and the seal hunt to come. he would be laden with goods and meat, and chakliux would even travel with him a ways if so desired.
but in this hour, his sore feet could think only of home, of their beautiful lodge and his lovely wives, surely grown with life! he quickened his step, exhorting the boys on, shouting that he was home for the ears of @Rodyn and @Heph and his wives.
soon the sea was before them, and framed against it, marina. he called out to her, running in the salted shallows, and caught her in his arms, and presented her with the glimmering blackfeathered skin of a cormorant, all jubilation before he caught sight of her trembling. "wife?"
Moontide
Healer
123 Posts
Ooc — xynien
And there he was, just like that. Marina looked up with a little gasp, scarcely registering his presence before he caught her in his arms. She found a smile for him at that, in spite of her exhaustion, in spite of everything.

Chakliux, She murmured, for a moment wanting to forget how sick she felt. She tucked her face against his shoulder, breathing in the scent of him. He was home. It's beautiful. Thank you. I missed you.

But of course he noticed that not all was well. Guilt surged in her; she didn't want to ruin this moment. But she couldn't deny that she felt weak and her thoughts were muddled, and neither did she want her husband to see her this way. He'd wanted her because of her strength, had he not? Because she was capable, because he knew that she could raise their children.

Except she'd lost her children. Her oldest children.

Was she truly capable of anything at all?

I've been feeling a bit - a bit sick. I'll be okay after I talk to... Marina struggled to recall her name. Kukutux. And I will. But first, I want to kiss my husband. She held his gaze for a moment to be sure that his worry was soothed. The midwife would have answers for her later. Marina was determined to give Chakliux this moment of reunion. He deserved that. He deserved the wife he'd thought he would get. Not this.
Moontide
First Warrior
851 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
"i missed you, annak," he breathed, eyes softening, heart gathering its great affections as their eyes met. "sick?"
but he kissed marina then, as long and lengthily as she wished, laughing against the corner of her mouth and breathing in the good sweet perfume of her, feeling the warmth of her slender arms around him.
she overjoyed him so much; chakliux did not mind being a fool for marina, a fool in his love for her, which brought him to joyous grinning and a kiss for each temple, each cheekbone.
it was so beautiful to be home, to stand in the cold water with her and feel the surge of moontide's power around them. "i can take you to kukutux. what have you been feeling?" he asked with attentive concern, seeking to guide them both now from the sea.
Moontide
Healer
123 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Yes, it was good to steal this moment, for herself as much as her husband. Marina closed her eyes and lost herself in his warmth, his gentle reminder that she would never be alone in this. That here she was surrounded by love always returning, love waiting back at the lodge, love sparking into new lives within her. Here she was safe.

But the demands of her body wouldn't wait forever. Marina was quietly grateful for the initiative her husband took. In motherhood she'd found strength, and perhaps it was true that this was what had drawn Chakliux to her, but she was reminded now that he had always sought to ease her burdens. And so in marriage she would now find peace. Her racing heart, set aflutter by her husband's touch and the love in his eyes, steadied to a softer cadence. She let him lead her from the water.

Vulnerability still didn't come so easily to her, but after a moment she let out a breath and answered him. Dizzy, She confessed, her steps slow and careful as she followed him from the water. Stiff. Exhausted. I hope this isn't what being old feels like.

The humor faded from her voice as she went on, though her tone remained light. I wish I could have been with you, A soft, longing glow lit her expression with the words. She knew that there was no place for her in the journey Chakliux had undertaken. She would never have asked. It was only that weeks of confinement to Moontide had left her own sense of adventure calling desperately for nourishment. We should do that sometime. A trip, together.

But how was it? How is Raiyuk? Matteo? Marina cast an eager glance at him then, curiosity sparkling in her eyes. She'd missed them all; the lodge had felt empty without them. She touched her nose to his cheek. And how are you?
Moontide
First Warrior
851 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
"i would like that, marina," chakliux said softly, and meant it. he had never been alone with her, it seemed; he had helped her with the first children and then she had come to live in the lodge with he and tullik. and now their children would come.
a journey just for he and she; the idea of it shone pleasure through his eyes. "i do not think you are old, wife, just very pregnant." his teeth glittered beneath his scars. "i am so happy to be home. relieved. i worry for you, but now that i am back, i am more confident that i can take care of you."
they moved toward the lodge; he kissed her shoulder, her throat.
"matteo is called taggak now. he wishes to learn the ways of seal hunters in a village away from here. and raiyuk! ah! he was magnificent!" and he told the story of going below the water, of the seal's blood and his son's striking.
"i want to take you there, to the sea ice. i think it will bring you joy."