Noctisardor Bypass there’s comfort in my dark seat and chaos in the aisles
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
All Welcome 
She had no choice but to return to the den in Dawnleaf. Hobbling and grimacing, Druid poked her head inside the gloomy space. Minding the other inhabitants, she crawled inside and slumped to the floor, trying to stifle the whine that gurgled in her throat. She didn’t want to disturb anyone’s rest. She panted harshly through the fresh ripples of pain.

When she could, she began collecting children to her belly. She didn’t bother differentiating between her own and her sister’s. She knocked her bad elbow in the process and began crying, muffling the sound against the babes as she shakily began cleaning them. Her mouth tasted like copper and her gums ached, though it was dull compared to the excruciating pain radiating through her ulna.

She felt utterly downtrodden, though that was really nothing new. Now her exterior just better matched her interior. When she finished with the pups, Druid’s head fell back against the rock wall with a small thump. She wanted to sleep, though her mind raced as she relived the volatile events of the past day.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Butternut
28 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Kikimora was asleep when her mother returned, though her stormy gaze cracked open as soon as her tiny body was nudged closer to a caregiver's undersides. Usually this meant feeding time and at once she began rooting for a willing teat out if habit, despite having only recently nursed enough to fill her belly.

The child blinked, eyesight still bleary in its newness, and soon she grew disinterested in nursing. Kikimora lifted her head with a soft sound, seeking attention.
Rivenwood
Ash
155 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
just a cameo to establish some caretaking. <3

Once she had gotten Druid safely to Dawnleaf, Fiona beckoned @Prowler to help her gather the herbs that might dull the pain and send sleep to Druid. The raccoon knew what to look for, and she sped off with a chirp. Prowler wouldn't know which were safe for a nursing mother, but Fiona would be able to sort through them once they were gathered, and that would help. This early in the spring, it was unlikely that there would be a lot, but she would have to make do with what they could find.

This left Fiona free to track down a few decent meals: one for herself, one for Druid, and a final one for @Heda. Three rabbits. The first she practically inhaled, and the second two she left with instructions for Heda to chew the meat for Druid. Those broken teeth and bones were going to need a lot of energy to heal.

Finally, the witch headed back to the hollow, hoping she could make it back to Rivenwood by the first light of the following day.
Rivenwood
NPC
Burnt Puptato
5 Posts
Ooc — Kitt
He could feel her tears, his own body rocking with her sobs as she cleaned them all. Artio did not like this heavy blanket of sadness, of pain, of detachment—he did not like it at all. Rolling onto his belly, all four paws stretching and reaching toward Druid, hoping to cuddle her face and dry her tears. She needed love herself, his poor momma.

All he wanted to do was hug her and tell her, in his own puppy way, that everything is okay, don’t be sad anymore. He is right here with her, always

His momma.
“A bear does not fear his strength, but knows the power lies within him.”
[Image: artio.png]
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Little Kikimora roused. Druid lowered her head, prepared to soothe her should she start fussing. But she just began to root. Expecting her to latch on, the Den Mother sat back again. She wouldn’t use the word “relax,” though she turned her mind to loosening her tightly-wound muscles.

When she glanced down a moment later, two of her children were looking up at her. Druid stared back at them. She couldn’t actually tell if Artio’s eyes were open, though she could almost feel little Kiki’s blue eyes piercing her.

What’re you looking at, huh? she said quietly, bending to touch her nose gently to her daughter’s, then her son’s.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Butternut
28 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The Den Mother seemed uncomfortable, unsettled. The energy that radiated from her was different somehow, though her little daughter did not understand it. She remained silent and watchful.

Curious. 

Druid's mismatched gaze returned to her cubs once more, and first her focus lingered on little Kikimora. She leaned in close so that their noses gently touched, and the littlest girl reached to deliver a fleeting sweep of her tongue to the leader's dark muzzle.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Since Fiona was a cameo and Artio’s an NPC, do you wanna go back and forth another few rounds, Rebel? We can fade it whenever you like. :)

If Artio had been peering up at her, he soon settled back and pressed his face into her fur. His legs came forward to knead at her. Druid understood that it was an instinctive behavior, though it felt a little like a tiny hug. Her lips twitched faintly.

Still she and Kikimora gazed at one another. Then the runt’s tongue poked out in a sweet little kiss. Druid’s body was very tender, though her hurts faded into the background a bit at this small gesture. It was probably just instinctual, like her brother’s kneading, but she still savored the affection that stirred inside her. It didn’t come easily, after all.

My little Kiki, she whispered, nosing the whelp’s cheek and gently pressing her own kiss there.
Rivenwood
Butternut
28 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
I'm good to continue!

Kikimora did not look upon her care-giver and feel connection, not in the way one might expect little daughters to adore their mothers. She loved her for what she was: a milk-giver, an embrace that provided warmth, one who cleaned her. Druid offered what was expected of her with her body, but had not truly given much else of herself.

Until now? 

The smallest of her brood hadn't yearned for her affection for she was too young to expect anything more. Kikimora's denim gaze blinked slowly and to ruin the moment they shared, she sneezed in the direction of her dam's muzzle.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
When the child sneezed, Druid automatically leaned in to clear Kikimora’s nostrils of any bothersome snot. Her gums ached, her tongue pulling back into her mouth to prod at the tender gaps where her teeth had been. She could still taste traces of blood, which she just hoped she hadn’t smeared on the poor Butternut.

You know, she said quietly, trying to capture the pup’s hazy blue eyes, just seeing you look back at me… it hits different.

She snorted under her breath, then gently began coaxing Kikimora closer to her belly. She was still the smallest, so Druid tried to encourage her to eat at every opportunity. If she was awake—and sighted now—the Den Mother may as well wave a tempting nipple in her face.
Rivenwood
Butternut
28 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
A string of snot clung to a nostril following Kikimora's sneeze and she sniffled, aware of the discomfort as it partly clogged an airway. Her mother was quick to correct the issue, however, and the child did not object as Druid set about carefully cleaning her speckled snout.

She cooed softly, obliging as she was then guided toward the Den Mother's belly where a sweet-scented milk source was presented. Kikimora latched and suckled, drinking deep until she drifted off to sleep once again.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
The tiny girl didn’t put up a fight. She latched and suckled herself to sleep as Druid watched. She was almost sad when those little eyelids fluttered shut. She’d heard sayings about eyes being windows to the soul, though she’d never given it much thought. But being able to look into her child’s eyes had shifted something inside her.

The others were fast asleep too, so Druid sagged again, letting out a long breath. Today had been an awful day. She was still in a good deal of pain. She figured she would likely have nightmares, if she could get to sleep at all. But when the Den Mother finally closed her eyes, she pictured Kikimora’s looking back at her, and this image eased her into a surprisingly restful slumber.