Emberwood and the ravens are leaving the tower
Private 
set on the 19th directly after this thread
He falls silent as he leads @Phillip to the borders and beyond, lost in thought now that he has a moment to fully register the situation. He hadn't realized how much he's been craving the presence of another his age in Helios's absence — likely because he'd never really considered that anyone else would want his company. Everyone but his brother has found some reason to hate him, usually immediately. This boy seems to have somehow missed the memo, though. Like Helios. He glances back at Phillip briefly, gaze sweeping over his features before he turns back to his quest for a cache.
It doesn't take long to find one — or at least, it feels fast, distracted as he is by his thoughts. For a moment he considers asking someone for permission or something, but the idea sounds dumb to him, so he dismisses it. He's certain his father would be fine with it, and that's what matters, though he has no intention of bringing him into this. He gestures silently with his muzzle in case the boy had somehow missed the (admittedly small) pile of dead things. It seems speech has abandoned him for now, and he doesn't try to force it, figuring Phillip will want a moment to eat in peace.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
As they get closer and closer to Zephyr's home, anxiety blooms in his chest. Phillip had never been in a place with a large group of wolves before: most of his life was spent wandering with two at the most and he had only just recently been part one (significantly smaller) group. This place was brimming with life, he could tell just from the borders alone.

Twig retreated into the branches as soon as they stepped across the threshold. Phillip felt even more nervous without his friend on his shoulder, so he discreetly moved closer to Zephyr. He felt a bit comfortable around the boy, even if he was kinda scary at times. 

His eyes lit up when he saw the small pile of food. As eager as he was, Phillip still waited for a moment, glancing at Zephyr to see if it was alright to proceed. He took the gesture as a yes, and slowly took some meat from the pile before eating.
He glances elsewhere and stays silent until Phillip finishes his meal, though not without great effort. As soon as the movement stops, a million thoughts begin to flash through his mind, questions and possibilities and other things he can't quite keep track of in the flurry. Most of all, he wonders about Phillip; about who he's searching for, how he'd forgotten his past home and life, where he intends on going next. Resisting the urge to voice his questions feels similar to holding his breath for a very long time, and by the time the other boy finishes his meal, Zephyr feels ready to burst.
Who are you looking for? He tries to look and sound casual when he finally speaks, facing the other now, but he's only half-successful, and his curiosity is evident in his tone. He can't help but wonder if Phillip is looking for his own brother, or maybe one of his parents; it would explain why he's alone. Or maybe he's looking for a friend — but for some reason, Zephyr doesn't like that thought, so he dismisses it and instead waits for the true answer to his question.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
It wasn't much, but at least it was something. It felt good to have something in his system after such a long period of time. As satisfying as this was it sparked a bit of worry in him. How many times would he go hungry on this journey? Phillip was unskilled, especially when it came to hunting. There was no one to teach him either. The boy took a deep breath and swallowed the last of his food. He'd just have to find a way.

Who are you looking for? Phillip lofted his head and blinked. Oh um, I’m looking for my friend. He’s been missing for awhile now.
A friend. The sends an uncomfortable prickling across his skin, but he does his best to ignore it. It's easier to focus on the idea blossoming in his mind anyway. What does he look like? I could help, He blurts, eyes a little brighter as he says it. I'm looking for someone too. My brother. We could look together. The idea seems flawless to him; he wouldn't have to be alone anymore while he looks for Helios, and maybe with two wolves searching, they'd actually have a chance of finding one of their missing loved ones. He'd never intended on staying here long anyway — not in the face of the strange tension he feels around his remaining family members, and certainly not with Helios still missing.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
You will? He perks up, eyes alight with hope. All this time he had been loosing hope one day after the other. The offer caused a sparked some new determination. Ok, let's do it then! It was a brilliant plan; he'd find Alarian, Zephyr could find his brother, and they wouldn't be alone. Everyone would be happy in the end.

Well he's small, bigger than me though. And he's got a golden belly and cheeks. Oh, and he's a lotta scars on his face. He's the most unique wolf I've ever seen. One of five tops anyways. What about your brother? What's he look like?
It seems almost too simple. Everything is oddly simple with this boy, actually. The realization strikes him hard, coasting on an unexpected wave of emotion. Things have rarely ever been simple in Zephyr's life, and he'd almost forgotten how it feels to be met with something other than disappointment at every turn. He blinks back the beginnings of tears for the second time since meeting Phillip, but this time he finds no anger to mask his mild embarrassment; he's too relieved for anger.
Helios is golden, too, He says, struggling to keep the emotion from his voice. Small and gold with lots of scars, he reminds himself, determined to remember Phillip's description. Black and gold, and really tall. He swallows, slightly uncertain when he starts again. Some part of him still can't quite accept the simplicity of all this, and he half-expects an argument. Let's — I want to leave today.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
He frowned a bit as he watched Zephyr grow faintly upset. S-sorry! Had he said something wrong? No, he couldn't have! Right? Maybe he didn't want to talk about his brother now. After all he had refused to speak about him before. But Phillip was even more confused when he went on to describe his missing sibling. If it was not Helios he was upset about, then what could it be?

There was little room to ask questions. Zephyr insisted on leaving today. Today? he repeated, Are you sure? Phillip was no doubt eager to go on this search and as far as he could tell Zephyr was too. But this was his home; surely there was someone here who should know of his departure. Don't you want to say goodbye first?
He isn't sure why Phillip is apologizing, so he decides to ignore it, moving on in favor of answering his questions. The announcement isn't taken as simply as he'd hoped, but the other boy isn't exactly arguing, so he tries not to sound annoyed when he speaks again. Yeah, I'm sure, He glances past the boy briefly, hoping his father won't show up and ruin everything. I'll come back and tell my dad where I went after I find Helios. The lie is sour on his tongue, but he forces it out in hopes of soothing the other's doubt. He just wants to leave.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
If it were him he would most definitely let someone know he'd be gone. It was just the right thing to do. He wouldn't anyone worrying over him like he did about Alarian. Surely Zephyr has put himself in his father's shoes too? But Phillip had no right to judge. After all, he had left neverwinter without a word.

The boy kept his thoughts to himself and just nodded. Ok, if you say so. Right then, I think you should lead the way.
archiving ❤
He's relieved when Phillip finally agrees, and wastes no time turning for the borders again. As far as he's concerned, he's already spent far too long here. As they head back toward the outskirts of the territory, he reaches for something to fill the silence. So, what's your friend's name? What are his scars like? He's (presumably) satisfied when he receives his answer, but at some point he starts to tune out, letting the conversation lapse again. Later, he'll hardly remember he asked at all.
common || « french »