Firestone Hot Springs leave the weak, leave the young
Private 
backdated to 01/04
When he wakes, he knows immediately that he'd had that dream again. The world is still dark, crawling through the earliest hours of the morning with only the moon and stars for light. Not far off, his companions are asleep; a safe distance from the hot springs, he thinks, but the smell had made sleep a bit difficult regardless. He wonders if they'd wake as easily as he had.
He tries @The Wayfarer first, but his gentle nudge does nothing to rouse his companion, and he can't find the courage to try anything else. So he moves away, toward @Phillip, and lingers hesitantly for a few moments. Indecision slows his movements as he settles next to the sleeping boy, shifting to tuck himself lightly against him. His movements are sleepy and clumsy, though, and he ends up lodging himself against Phillip rather abruptly. Oops.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Phillip had been exhausted by the time they had came across the hotsprings. As soon as he laid down that night, he had fallen into a deep rest, undisturbed by the world around him. He could have slept for days if it were not for a sudden shove to the right.

He opened his eyes just before his face was forced into the earth and snow. Mmph--! Phillip yanked his head back and gasped as if he had just been submerged in water. He blinked for a moment, then looked down at his friend's delicate form. 

Zeph? If the noise didn't wake him, then the question surely did. When Phillip realized this, his cheeks grew warm from guilt. Oh, s-sorry! I'll be quiet now.
He flinches when Phillip starts to make noise and gasp, ears pinning back as he leans away slightly and watches. Guilt floods him. I'm sorry, He starts, but Phillip is already talking and it seems like the words are lost under the other's. He swallows, and tries again when the other boy finishes. I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd — uh, sorry I woke you up. His head ducks, ears flushing. For some reason he feels like Phillip had caught him doing something embarrassing, and he doesn't like the feeling at all.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Can't sleep? Well, Phillip definitely wasn't helping the situation. His gaze dropped to his paws as even more guilt weighed down on him. At least Zephyr wasn't upset, or he assumed he wasn't anyways. No glaring or yelling, just apologizes.

It's ok, I think I had enough sleep anyways. Phillip yawned and rested his head on his paws. But y'know.. a little more rest.. wouldn't hurt.. But he can't sleep now! Not when his friend couldn't sleep for whatever reason. 

Why can't you sleep? He turned his head to the side to look at his companion. Are you alright?
He mimics Phillip's movement as he listens, albeit more slowly. His ears lift as his head drops to his paws, standing tall by the time his friend finishes. It's not embarrassing, he tells himself, it's normal, he thinks so too. But that doesn't explain why his heart is beating so fast.
I'm fine, He says, sucking in a breath and burying his head between his paws. This was a mistake. But he's trapped now, Phillip is awake and looking at him and much too close to him — and it's his own fault. He can't be upset with anyone but himself.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Phillip was doubtful. He thought back to the morning on the mountain. Zeph had acted out, broke down, then snapped back to a somewhat normal state. It never came back up again. Now he was hiding his face.

Are you sure? That sounded too direct. Phillip gulped and looked away. I mean, you can talk about it. But, o-only if you want to of course! I just don't want you to feel upset or anything.
Maybe tomorrow, He says miserably, overwhelmed by Phillip's rambling. He just wants comfort, and he's always found it in silence — but he doesn't exactly want to tell his friend to shut up. He isn't that mean. I'm tired, and I don't want to be sad right now. His words are slightly muffled by his position, but he hopes they're clear enough. He swallows his anxiety, shifts closer, and lifts his head to bury his face in Phillip's scruff. He hadn't seemed to mind it that night with Lainie, and it had helped a little, so it seems like the best way to continue.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
There had to be something that was on his mind. Being the caring soul he was, Phillip had grown distressed about this behavior. But as he much as he wished Zephyr could talk about it, he'd pry no further. He wanted him to be happy after all; if silence could grant that happiness for the time being, then he'd be silent.

Phillip didn't think of Zephyr as the physical type, so he was surprised  when he buried himself into his fur. Surprised yes, upset? No. He took comfort in this unfamiliar warmth and did not want it to go away. Phillip hummed, then rested his cheek next to his friend's face.
As soon as Phillip goes quiet, Zephyr's racing heart starts to slow. The contact suddenly seems comforting rather than overwhelming, as he'd hoped it would, and his mood quickly shifts. Still, it's awhile before he speaks again.
You're really nice, The words come out as a distracted mumble. He hadn't actually meant to say it; it'd just been one of the half-formed thoughts drifting through his lethargic mind. But it's out now, and he decides he won't regret it. Phillip is nice, and he likes him for it, even if he can't help feeling a little jealous sometimes too.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
They lay in silence for awhile. Phillip hates silence most of the time. It made everything feel so empty and lonely. It was a frightening thing he did his best to avoid. But he didn't bother to make a sound now. This was a different type of silence; it was comforting, so much so he could feel himself drifting away.

You're really nice. No one ever called him that, or anything else for that matter. Phillip opened his eyes and glanced at Zephyr. Oh, thank you. A sheepish little smile forms on his face. You're really nice too.

He looked out over the flatlands, watched the steam rise from the hotsprings. I'm glad you're here with me.
He knows Phillip is lying when he calls him nice in return. Zephyr is can think of several things to call himself: a stubborn survivor, a loyal friend, even a protector of sorts, though he's yet to truly demonstrate that. He knows he has something to offer, or else Phillip and Firestorm would never have bothered with him. But he's never been a nice person, even to those few he likes. He's selfish, and moody, and he knows it better than anyone.
Still, the compliment feels nice. And Phillip's next words even seem like they might be true. I'll stay with you as long as you want, He promises sleepily, voice still muffled by fur. He could continue, explain his reasons and his feelings, but it's dark and he's tired, and he's never been very good at expressing his feelings anyway. They've never seemed to matter much to anyone else, except when they ruin everything.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
The words comforted him, but there is lingering doubt that grows stronger by the minute. When he became aware of the world, there were only two wolves in his life. He wanted them to stay but they disappeared without warning. What if Zephyr disappeared too?

Phillip looked down at his friend. You promise? he asked softly.
fade with your post? <3
The words stab at his heart unexpectedly, and he swallows hard, hesitating for a moment before he answers. He knows too well by now that the world often separates loved ones through sheer force; as much as he wants to give Phillip the promise he asked for, he knows it would be a lie.
I can promise I won't leave on purpose, He says instead, words careful and tinged with sorrow as he lifts his head slightly to finish his answer. But... a big rock slide separated me from most of my family, and then a fire separated me from my brother. I can't promise that won't happen. But I'll look for you, if it does. It's the best he can offer.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
yup <3

The answer is somehow worse than he feared. Phillip wants to believe him when he says he'd look for him, and he does to an extent. Did he believe he'd actually be able to find him? Well, they hadn't found his brother yet, nor Alarian. Maybe Zephyr wouldn't find him either. But it wouldn't come to that right? Nothing bad was gonna happen.

Phillip rested his head next to Zephyr's, dismissing his anxiety with a, Alright. Everything is going to be ok.