Neverwinter Forest the price of change
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
All Welcome 
For any MWF members, more specifically those Kyr hasn't met yet.

Early morning, Vallkyrie was uncertain how many she would draw attention from. Be it they moved during the day and had not woken yet or be them night walkers whom just settled down. Vallkyrie had no set schedule, sleeping here and there and going out as she pleased. This early morning she clutched a plump, fluffy brown vole in her jaws. Having been lucky enough to have caught too, she had finished hers and brought back the other. Maybe the scent would bring out her younger packmates looking for an easy meal.
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
It wasn't the scent of an easy meal that lured Simmik from her patrol, but rather the prospect of learning more about a packmate she wasn't very familiar with. Eating was never very high on her priorities; she had eaten early this morning and had not felt the pang of hunger since. The woman's scent continued to pass by on the breeze as she followed it from the edge of the territory; she recognized it from the borders and knew that it belonged to Vallkyrie. she had seen the woman here and there but had never really had a conversation with her.

She tracked the scent through the trees, slowing when her packmate's dark form appeared in the distance. She moved a little closer before stopping, releasing a low chuff in greeting and waiting to see if the other wolf was in the mood for company.
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Soon then came along Simmik. She knew the woman by name, sight, scent... she just did not know the youth on a personal level. A mercenary in training, Vallkyrie turns to greet the stark white woman. Hello Simmik. She greets with a wave of her tail. The young adolescent is tall as herself but with much more muscle and underlining strength of her. She looked to be an Arctic woman, those whom were built of some mighty stuff, like Vallkyrie's Makenzie Valley decent. The girl before her wasnt even a year old and yet held a promise that made Kyr smile. Would you like something to eat? She inquires, tipping her long muzzle down to the fattened vole.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
She moved forward when greeted by name, dipping her head in return. Hello, she offered as she stopped in front of her ebony pack mate. Her fiery gaze met the other woman's piercing blue before moving down to the food she offered. Some might accept the gift to be polite, but she was too pragmatic for such pleasantries. She shook her head. Thank you, but I'm not hungry, she she answered, her gaze lifting again. I can take it to the nearest cache, Simmik offered instead. That way, it might better serve a hungry packmate. She was, however, struck with a sudden idea, something she did think Vallkyrie could help her with. I need more practice hunting. She was prideful but not enough to go on lacking in skills just to keep her ineptitude hidden. Would you be able to teach me some things? she asked. Simmik had caught a vole or two herself, but this woman looked like she might be a good hunter. She was tall and slender and looked as if she could move with speed and efficiency. Simmik was somewhat lacking in the speed area, but she had a well of untapped power and strength, and she had barely scratched the surface of it. She hoped her older, more experienced pack mate might be willing to help her start to become a more well-rounded member of the forest.
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
With that blazing orange gaze of hers, Simmik shook her head and spoke up of her lack of interest in the vole due to her equal lack of hunger. Though she was quick to offer taking the small lunch to the nearest cache for someone else to find and enjoy instead. Vallkyrie nodded and shifted as though to tag along with the white female whist doing so. That is, until a sudden thought crossed the young girl's brain. A practice hunt? Well, Kyr could sure do that! She smiled at the idea and waved her tail as a sign of her acceptance. 

I can definitely help with that. Come on, let's drop this off and we can get to it. She spoke as she lifted up the vole, having a sudden thought of her own as to where exactly she would take it. Though she had not known @Cupid at all personally (not even enough to know if 'Cupid' was the parent or name of the pup) Kyr had come across the scents of the wolf and her pup. She would come near to the densite (though keeping some distance) and settle the vole down there before backing off and trotting slowly outward from the heart of their forest. You'll grow more for sure, she speaks on behalf of Simmik's size and youth. I feel like you would be best when we take on big game like deer, even elk. Wolves who aren't as fast but have more strength are best utilized after the prey loses its energy and slows down. That's where you would come in. She pauses in her trot as she comes to a clearing in the forest. 

Your strength would be used to help pull the prey down to the ground and when the opportunity allows, deal the killing blow to the throat. The strongest set of jaws is always best for it. They tend to flail at that point you know... She smirks a bit, thinking back to the hunt she had with Mal a bit ago. He had gotten struck by a flailing limb then but he had hung on still. She pauses there, allowing the young frost maiden to take in what she had said.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Vallkyrie not only agreed to help her learn more about hunting, but also seemed happy to teach her, eager even. Simmik followed quietly at her side as they headed to drop off the food not at the nearest cache but near the den that held the mother and pup she didn't know very much about. She had pretty much stayed away from the area, having no idea how to deal with kids or whether the mom would want anyone around. 

Once the food was deposited, they began to move again, and she listened intently to the insight the other woman offered. She had no idea how much more she would grow, but if Vallkyrie thought she might grow more, then Simmik wouldn't argue. It wasn't like she had frame of reference anyway. This was all new to her, and she was just trying to figure out where she fit in. Vallkyrie went on to explain how she could use her size most efficiently in a hunt, and Simmik soaked in every word. She pictured herself leaping onto some large undulate, sinking her jaws into it and bringing it to the ground. The thought was exhilarating; she couldn't wait to actually have a real experience like that. It seemed so far away, though. She knew it would be some time before she could play that role in a pack hunt, but she was ambitious, and she would learn whatever she needed to. Where do we start? she asked, bright eyes curious and expectant.
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
We can start out a little practice... She spoke, moving along as she did so. Mal and I have been keeping track of the deer herd that lives through here. I also know there is a large herd of pronghorn outside of this forest by the Quarry and Weald. When we have a pack hunt, I'll pair you with another for the take down postion. She explains as they move along through the forest, far up to the northern reaches where the forest met the foothills of the glacier and mountain. 

Not all hunts are successful, not at all even for the well versed. Keeping yourself safe and out of harm's way so your able to try again is what is most important. Try at all costs to avoid hooves and horns,  even if it means loosing the prey. After all, it would do no good to them if a member died in the process. Of course there might be times when taking those chances would be necessary during dire times but this was not the case. 

Nearing the edges of the forest, where the tall, looming pines met the rocky and icy sides of the mountains,  Kyr slows and moves more quietly. There has been some young goats down here lately. For minerals and yet, Kyr wasnt still 100% on the cycle of these goats just yet. She hadn't been here long enough. Vallkyrie began to sniff about, moving quietly as she did so. Leaving the mountain to come here into the forest would bring the goats on their turf but they could just as easily run back up the safety of the mountains if the wolves didnt play it right.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Excitement bloomed in her chest when Vallkyrie stated that she would let Simmik help take down the prey in the next pack hunt. She might not have much experience, but she was over-flowing with determination. That would be great, she answered, showing her packmate how eager she was to start doing things for the pack. 

Vallkyrie had more advice for her, to which Simmik listened intently and tried her best to commit to memory. She knew emotions would be high in the middle of a pack hunt, and she wanted to remember to be safe. She nodded and offered a quick: Okay, not needing to ask any questions about it. She needed to try and keep from getting hurt, and she would try her best to avoid hooves and horns.

She slowed when her teacher did, looking around the rocky peaks for the goats she mentioned. Hunting them would be good practice for sure, and she didn't want to mess anything up, so she walked slowly and quietly as well, taking all her cues from her packmate. She sniffed and walked and stopped whenever Vallkyrie did, hoping that they would soon find what they were looking for.

Bleating from what seemed like multiple goats sounded in the distance, and Simmik froze. She looked to Vallkyrie, her expression asking: what do we do now?
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
They moved along quietly together for a short time, the stillness of the lands around the wolves made it obvious all amounts of bird, squirrels and other rodents were aware of their presence. Ahead, the bleating of the goats sounded and in the distance their white coats shown within the edges of the dark forest.Get low. Loop around. Vallkyrie whispers to her young counterpart. She motions with her muzzle to the snowy woman into the direction she wants her to go. Here off the foothills of the mountains there were plenty of rock formations, grey and white with snow, which Simmiks coating would hide well in. If the young girl was successful in looping around she could hide and hide well in an area which matched her coat. 

Vallkyrie waited awwhile and watched silently as Simmik would take postion. Here in the forest where it was green and dark, Vallkyrie hoped to hide better. She inched forward, putting the goats in between her and the mountains of their home. If all went well, she would scare them back into the direction of the mountains where the sheep felt most safe. Here, Simmik would be in wait.

It was all a matter of timing and precision. Kyr would choose a young sheep, her little horns nothing but a stub just yet, less of a risk for injury unless the mother got involved. Charging forward, a vicious growl from her jaws, the sheep began the moved, scattering in direction towards the mountains in order to confuse the hunter. Yet Vallkyrie kept her attention on the juvenile sheep and its mother, leading them straight into Simmik's direction.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik nodded and looked in the direction Vallkyrie had pointed. She wasted no time with questions, assuming that she was supposed to hide and wait like her teacher had explained before. She hunched low to the ground and moved as quietly as possible to a large grouping of rocks. When she arrived there, she quickly hid herself behind them and focused all her attention on what her packmate was doing. 

She watched her ambush the herd, seeming to have no plan at first. But then Simmik noticed that her attention was on a pair of goats. It looked like a mother and a juvenile; her only indication that was the case were the small horns atop the younger goat's head. 

The herd stampeded by, and she remained hunched in her spot, waiting for some kind of signal. It wasn't long before Vallkyrie was moving the pair of goats right for her. She watched, frozen with indecision for a few moments. Which one was she meant to attack? Surely, she didn't expect just them to be able to take the older goat down; maybe if she actually knew what she was doing, they could, but that was not the case. The younger goat might be easier, and its horns didn't look like they could rip her open. A memory rushed, unbidden, to the forefront of her mind. So much blood all over the ground and her and—him. She saw the image of her father bleeding out in front of her as clearly as if she had traveled back in time to that terrible day. Her stomach churned and she swallowed the bile that had bubbled up in the back of her throat. She was frozen, trapped in the memory and confronted with all the things she had tried so hard to suppress since leaving her family. 

The goats rushed by, followed by Vallkyrie, but still she couldn't move. No matter how much she willed her legs to bend, they wouldn't.
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Frozen. 

Just as icy as Vallkyrie's eyes and as snowed as Simmik's coat.

Simmik did not move from her position situated behind the rocky formations at the base of the glacier. Instead, as the goats panicked and moved back to the heights of their home for safety, Vallkyrie was forced to push forward still. Where she thought Simmik would intercept and lung for the youth, Vallkyrie kept giving chase until she lost them. Nimble as they were on the rocky slopes, they bound out of the huntress' reach and forced her to stop her ascend. 

Turning back around to hop down the rock face, she met back with the yearling and rounded her to face her. Kyr had not missed the look of horror and shock that the girl had. Kyr would think it to be a sudden fear and panic of not knowing what to do but, maybe it was something else that frightened her. You okay there?
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
She shook her head when Vallkyrie spoke, pulling herself from the flashback with some difficulty. She blinked a few times and swallowed, Um y—yeah. Yeah I'm...fine, she lied, unwilling to dive into her past with anyone just yet, especially that particular part. I—I guess I just wasn't sure what to do, and I froze, she lied again. It made her look like an idiot, but that was a testament to just how much she didn't want to talk about what had really happened. I'm sorry, she offered, shaking her head. That wasn't a lie; she really was sorry that she had messed everything up. I won't freeze up next time, Simmik promised. And hopefully, that would be the case; she couldn't learn to hunt if her dumb memories wouldn't leave her alone long enough to learn the basic skills required.
Inuttuk
Common
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
The snowy white woman shook her head, opposite of the 'yeah' which choked out from her voice moments later. Vallkyrie's slim sides heaved as she caught her breath, ears turning back to flatten against her skull with concern for the yearling. She stammered out her reasoning, but the way she explained made Vallkyrie seem uncertain if that was the real reason or not. She could imagine if Simmik just froze she would say SORRYSORRYSHITSORRY and promise to get it again, with enthusiasm in her tone. But she was shaken, feared, sorrowful now as she gathered herself.

Its okay. That's why it's called 'practicing'. She spoke, insuring her that everything was fine. Simmik still learned today about good hiding positions, a tactic to use with two wolves hunting and how to track and stay downwind. You still learned some tricks. This wasnt a failed day. She pushed to let the girl know everything was okay. Come on, let's head back and get some rest. She places on a smile for Simmik and a wave of her tail, urging her to come along. If she didnt want to talk about it, she didnt have to, but Vallkyrie would be there either way.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik tried to take comfort in Vallkyrie's words, but she was still a little shaken by the whole thing, not to mention she felt like a complete idiot and failure. She didn't like to do things incorrectly, especially because she wasn't in control of her emotions. But she nodded anyway, her expression probably showing her disappointment.

Okay, she offered when Vallkyrie suggested that they head back and rest. She was kind of tired after everything, and rest sounded nice. Maybe next time, things will go better, she stated as she began to walk back. She really hoped so, because this freezing business was irritating. 

feel free to archive or post once more <3
Inuttuk
Common