Whitefish River The Switch Up
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Private 
61F°, currently it is mostly cloudy and set during the afternoon. Located in Whitefish River, dens | tagging: @Ira

He woke up with the rising sun, its light filtering through the knight's lids and beckoning Hiero to start his day. The first step was to make the rounds around the borders, according to others, by doing this wolves were able to freshen up borders through their feet - every now and then he'd brush himself a tree trunk or a rock but he didn't allow it to take up too much of his time.

Secondly, a quick hunt. While wandering the borders, he spotted the trail of a little cottontail. He was no hunter, not as good hunting land prey as he was with fish, it was a chance he would take (I flipped a coin for success rate lmao).  

Today was his day he supposed, from his maw the little rabbit hung lifelessly. The fresh taste of blood was tantalizing but it wasn't for him. He told Speedy he would take care of Ira's basic needs, check up on her daily and if need be, call on the healer, but otherwise, let the pregnant woman rest and prepare for her own litter that would soon be coming.

As he rounded the den's mouth of the Count, his pace slowed and the knight cleared his throat to announce his presence. Little swings of his tail rocked between his ankles while he patiently waited for a welcome or acknowledgement of his presence should she need anything other than food while he was here.
New Threads: closed, he's dead, let him rest
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The Count had spent her day lounging about with her kids. Every day they pressed their limits, it would only be a matter of time until they found their paws and longed to leave the den. Much to other mothers' dismay, the thought excited her. Perhaps it was a tad selfish to look forward to working again, but more so she wished to see the wolves her pups would grow into. What would interest them? What trades would they pursue? 

A familiar chuff drew Ira's attention as she glanced at the den entrance and to no surprise it was Hieronymous. The painted knight had been quick to switch off with Speedy much to her and likely the healer's relief. Ira was quick to invite him in, there was little reason to deny his help most days. She shifted to sit up as he entered, Any news today?
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
While she welcomed him in, well, enough of a welcome that didn't turn him away immediately - he entered slowly and put the rabbit down as an offering, hoping it was a good change of pace than the fish he normally brought. Shaking his head, It's been quiet, peaceful. He was hoping that would ease any concerns of her, hoping that she wasn't asking for news on Evergreen or his mate as he had nothing to add than the nothing they found earlier. Did she love them? Was this a heartbreak to her? He knew close to nothing of their arrangement other than Ira wanted a family.

His eyes fell to the children at her side, they were already growing a little bigger by the day. Did everyone start out this way? So small, pudgy, completely at the mercy of their surroundings and everyone that cared for them? And all within a year they would be just as big as the adults who raised them, it was almost dizzying to think of. Turning his attention back to their mother, brows turned in a concerned arch. Do you need anything while I'm here?
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The rabbit that hung from the male's maw caught her attention first, and though she wouldn't admit it, her stomach rumbled quietly with excitement for something different. Ira knew better than to complain when so many pack members were pulling weight for her, but fish never was her first choice in a meal. The Count should have been relieved to hear that all was quiet, but Hieronymous' news meant there was still no word of the missing fathers. She was sure now how she felt, but she knew it was better to keep it to herself. Ira imagined her words would paint a bad image of their only leader and that's the last thing she wanted so she responded plainly, Good....good.

Her gaze followed his to the pups at her side. For now, they all seemed content. Hiero asked if she needed anything else, but truthfully she couldn't think of an excuse, I am alright. If you wish to rest for a moment though, I have no complaints. With Speedy preparing for her own litter, the Count's life had grown quiet. Unless the healer or knight were checking in on her she was left alone most of the time, something she used to find comfort in.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
I don't tire~ He sang out, careful not to raise his voice too much in the presence of the children and instead kept his tone rather casual, soft, and not it's usual loud fearless quality as if it didn't matter who was listening to anything he ever said. 

Her offer for him to rest seemed more like a kind offer, and so he brushed it off even if he did desire to spend some more time with the woman and her pups. You should know this already. He teased lightly. Fatigue, unlike pain, he could feel. It was a mental feeling, after all, the desire to sleep and didn't seem to be affected like the rest of him; but she didn't know that. I am untiring, I won't be a burden and will make sure you feel safe here with the puppies, as well as everyone else within Kaistleoki's borders. I promised I wasn't just going to be another mouth to feed and prove it I will.

He remembered those exact words. His pledge to make her proud.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Hieronymous' voice rang out and the Count couldn't help but want to smack herself in the face for forgetting so often. It was her job to remember things like this if she is to ensure the safety of each pack member. I— That's not what I meant to imply. Even so, you shouldn't push your body, you're capable of exhaustion too even if you can't feel it. Ira had almost forgotten her early concerns with the male, he certainly proved to be valuable in the end, so much so that his disability was often forgotten. It should go without saying that you've already proved yourself Hieronymous.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
I know. Even if that was the case, it was nice to see the Count now thinking just a little about him. Like a comrade and maybe even one day as a friend - he had left behind the thought of lovers to prevent the sadness from creeping in, even if that feeling still lingered.

Thank you. A quick bow, the knight lowered his head and happily gazed at the ground in a humble gesture. So he had proved himself, what a relief, but that meant he couldn't relax and disappoint now. But right now I can't let up. He didn't have to say it, they were down by two bodies and everyone had to pick up the slack left by the previous Count and his mate.

Really, you don't need to worry about me, I know my limits~ Even if he often ignored them to get a task done. Just call for me if you need anything, okay? Not wanting to take up more of her time, he began to go on his way. Not once did he think she might want companionship - not his at least.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira knew what the man meant, she too would have been giving her best effort if she could. Once more rejecting her suggestion he turned to leave causing Ira to frown. For a moment her words caught in her throat, but she'd eventually push them out before he could exit, Hieronymous— just...stay for a bit. It wasn't quite what she had meant to say, but perhaps the male would catch on to her actual meaning. She never had been great in situations like these, for so long she had been independent and to request the help of another was...difficult.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Not a single part of him thought that maybe Ira would stop him, he was so prepared to continue on his day as per usual that when she called out, his system felt an immediate shock. Like how one would freeze up in cold water, that shock that runs up your spine that stops you right in your tracks until your body acclimatizes to the temperature. 

Y-yeah, sure. Oof, that's all he could say right now huh? Yeah, sure? His posture fell just thinking of how pathetic and unsure that sounded, and he tried to recover by turning to face her with a smile instead of like the awkward teenage boy he felt like he was acting. Are you okay? Wanting to come off as more than happy to stay but not quick to get utterly comfortable too, he sat down from where he stood.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The male stopped in his tracks, almost frozen by her words. His reaction was strange, the Count was sure he would have been over the moon to stay, but instead, he seemed unsure...hesitant. Perhaps he too had no real interest in hanging around now that he knew her a bit more. Hieronymous sat in the entrance, quick to ask if anything was wrong. Embarrassment tinged her cheeks, and despite the attempt to keep a neutral face, the backward flick of her ears likely gave it away. Is it that obvious? the roan woman sighed glancing at her sleeping pups.

Of course it was, even if Ira wanted to ignore it. She had always been active, never one to lounge around and though she enjoys these moments with her young, she was feeling the effects of being stuck in a dark enclosure alone for so long. Parts of the experience reminded her of her accident back in the winter when she had been trapped in a small cave, the rest a reminder of how truly alone she now was. I don't mean to cling, the company is just nice. When you're gone it's— She wasn't sure how to end that...Ira was not one to share how she felt often. It was better to just keep her problems to herself.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Shaking his head. It doesn't have to be obvious. Anyone would be upset if they went from having two partners to help raise their young, down to none in a sudden turn of events. Ira's world must have been flipped upside-down in a matter of days, he possibly could never understand that loss, not truly, and so he didn't have much to say other than do his best to support the Count until she asked him for anything.

And right now, it was to stay for a bit.

Lonely? He assumed what she meant, but it is how he would feel if he was in her situation. Shoot, he almost was if one was to compare his rest time to her time here now after the lynx attack. How Hiero even complained to Speedy how he would be lonely waiting in that den alone for the most part of the day. It's not clingy, I'd be happy to keep you company. With that in the air now, the man reclined onto his belly, getting comfortable now to reassure Ira that he wasn't uncomfortable. Confused, a little shocked, but not uncomfortable. 

Are you worried?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira hadn't intended to make her statement a fill in the blank, but Hieronymous was quick to offer his own answer. Lonely, it wasn't the word on her mind, but perhaps it fits better. The Count had suppressed her feelings since she was a child, sometimes acknowledging the truth was harder than she realized. She refused to correct or deny the suggestion favoring her own silence instead as the knight continued. Ira was relieved that she wasn't viewed as clingy, but the thought still nagged at the back of her mind. She was never great at asking for help too...

Hiero made himself more comfortable sprawling out in the den's entrance as Ira let out a silent breath she was unaware she had been holding. She should have figured he would stay, he had already done so much for her. However, the Knight's next words confused her. Worried? She echoed the question. It could be applied to so many things, Ira wasn't quite sure what he was referring to.What do you mean?
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Hiero wasn't the stiff type, not at all even. So even as he laid down on the ground, he couldn't help but lean against the walls of the den rather than using his own spine and muscles to keep himself upright to talk. This was casual after all, not some kind of formal meeting between leader and follower - they were just talking now, right? Keeping one another company for a little while.

About them. He clarified. Seafoam eyes wandering to the pups, softening his gaze to something like a duckling. Harmless, small, fuzzy. None of these puppies are mine and yet I'm always worried if I'm doing enough to help. He knew he shouldn't, everyone had plenty of help to do their own part but seeing everyone so busy made him feel like he should keep himself busy too, they were packmates after all. Family. 

Of course, he could also mean worried for the males who had vanished - but that wasn't a subject he wanted to bring up if he was honest. For her sake. Hunt, fish, and border patrol. Things haven't changed and yet it feels like everything changed. Is puppy season always like this?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The Count's gaze flicked to the sleeping blobs at her side, ah so that's what he meant. Isn't that a mother's job? She couldn't say she wasn't worried for them, they would have no father from the very beginning. They could be strong though, she would make sure of that. I think I understand. This is my first litter, but I've been around plenty of mothers. You double down patrols, catch what you can, but it never feels like enough. Never to her at least. Ira knew probably best that it's as much as once could do without collapsing, but tension has always been high with expecting mothers.

Perhaps it was new to the knight. She really didn't know much about his past, but a wolf with his disabilities would surely have a hard time surviving without a pack. Ira couldn't see him as some lone traveler, he seemed too eager to please others to live a life alone. Are multiple pregnancies rare where you are from? Some packs had very strict breeding regulations, she would know. Perhaps only the alphas were allowed. The less expecting the less tension for everyone. It's usually hectic, yes. The pregnancy is the hard part though, kids grow fast. Expecting mothers are vulnerable and can not easily contribute, but after it's much easier to distribute the work.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
All Welcome 
A mother's job, he supposed she was right, he had nothing else to go by after all in this kind of conversation. That's good... it's relieving to hear. At least it wasn't abnormal for anyone to feel that way, nor was there some kind of hidden job that he had to know about by now in order to partake in all of this. All he had to do was keep plucking along, put everything he could into every patrol and hunt and hope he was doing enough.

The question was shockingly something he didn't expect would come his way. He felt flush, heated under his collar and cheeks. Um. A nervous chuckle escaped him, a coping mechanism to try and calm his own nerves. I've never stuck around long enough to be a part of all this. He admitted. A malfunctioning nose often turns out useless for packs. And until puppies were old enough, they were even tougher to join.

Hmm I suppose if I'm sticking around long enough for next year, I'll be more mentally prepared for all this. Teasing himself. He sure hoped to be around long enough to see another year in Kaistleoki, frankly, he was tired of pack hunting.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Maybe she had misjudged the male. He seemed comforted by her words but embarrassed all the same. It didn't really surprise her that finding a pack might be hard with his condition, she herself had been hesitant, but Hiero had learned fast enough. Maybe she had given him a chance that others were quick to discard for someone better. He made it sound as if he had stayed long enough in other packs though, surely they would have seen his contributions?

Perhaps it was her own bias that caused her to turn a blind eye. A disability was a disability, but there are ways to overcome them. Someone can still be strong, even Evergreen had lost half his sight and learned to be a capable warrior. It was obvious enough to the Count that Hieronymous had a hard battle for most of his life, but he found a way to survive. That was enough for her. You better not be planning on leaving. The words might have seemed harsh, but her gaze said it all. It was her attempt at joking back.

Frankly, she was tired of losing numbers, it would be a shame if the painted male truly was debating it. I'm sure you'll do fine. You've already been a great help...do you like kids? He always had a bit of jokester in him, it would be a surprise if the knight didn't. Surely he'd get along well with young ones.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
It was all smiles and jokes, though he meant what he said, it was always said on the lighter side in order to keep the weight off of any conversation and keep it fluid without too much discomfort - if he could help it of course. Not all conversations could, or should, go that way. It was her demand that he wasn't planning on leaving that struck a different chord. Unlike the previous shock, this one was pleasant. His expression changed to astonishment for a brief moment before his tail thudded softly behind him, a smile creeping up on him in the most honest of ways.

She didn't seem to notice his absence before, but maybe now, maybe she would miss him now if he ever did find himself lost again. Absolutely not.

Of course! There was no debate on it, he didn't have time to think it over even as the question was asked. They're great audiences for stories and songs, adults tend to get bored and children are so much fun~ At least the ones he was able to hang around with whenever possible. They're usually just... bigger by the time I can get near.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Even though it had been a joke, Ira was relieved to hear that leaving was the last thing on the knight's mind. It came as no surprise though that he loved kids. A smile spread across her face as she looked back to the young at her side. I'm sure they'd love to hear some of your tales when they're older. Not many of her stories were pleasant and Gods knew they would need some excitement or uplifting stories. I'll introduce them to the pack soon. They're beginning to find their legs and once they do there's no holding them back. She wondered what their personalities would be. Perhaps one would take up some of her own trades.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
I suppose I'll have to start thinking of some. Some good for children, enough to keep them on their toes until it grows old for them too.

Time seemed to speed up all of a sudden, the afternoon was quickly fading. I'm sure they'll be a handful. he jokingly said in response. he could only imagine how quickly puppies grew, and even then he was certain it would surprise him still.

With a stretch he rose back up to his feet, sliding up to a stand in a smooth motion. I should go now before it gets too late. I'm glad we were able to talk for a while~ With a curt bow, he made his way again to head out of the den. I'll see you tomorrow.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira hummed with an eye roll at the comment. Of course they'd be a handful, there were four of them and one of her. It was a blessing to have the pack pitching in, even if they were not yet fully aware of just how much they would be providing. Hieronymous and Speedy knew, but they had visited since their birth. The Count fought off the frown that tempted her as Hiero glanced to the fading light, he couldn't stay and she knew it too. Late already? At least he had offered some company. The knight gave a bow before heading for the entrance once more, Yes, tomorrow then. Thank you, Hieronymous. She watched as he retreated, leaving her once more with her pups.