Whitefish River It's Quiet Uptown
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Private 

Ira had spent days laying on the den floor, her body still weak from the damage done. She recalled when she first awoke, it was with a start. Everything was unfamiliar until her eyes landed on her friend. From there the pieces started to connect, though she had lost some along the way, something she would come to learn with the days passing.

News had also spread of Hieronymous' disappearance...it was more than disappointing, to say the least. Something more pulled at her, a grief unknown to her. She had never had many friends if any, Ira remembered that so to awake and find one of those few gone, perhaps swept away by the rain along with her lost memories...it was painful, perhaps more so than the burns along her body. Something must have happened, he wasn't the type to leave, just as Evergreen and Winterbourne weren't.

Maybe she was cursed. There was a thought she hadn't toyed with in a long time. Maybe that too was thanks to the memories she had to re-piece together.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
going to say this happens before the orlaith thread

She returned to the den, delicately holding a bundle of plants between her teeth. She had spent the morning carrying water soaked moss to the den so that she could apply it to Ira's burns to sit for a bit before applying the plants that would hopefully prevent infection. Now she carried the ingredients for her poultice and a couple things for pain. Eventually, she would see if Ira would be up for soaking in the river a few times a day; it would be easier and more efficient than the moss. But she wouldn't push her to get up and around before she was ready—she had a feeling she would be fighting to keep her resting soon enough. 

She paused after entering when she realized her friend was awake. Hey, she said softly after placing her mouthful on the ground between them. How are you feeling? She stepped closer and looked her over. I need to take care of your burns but I have some willow bark and poppy seeds for you to eat first; they'll help with the pain. Speedy nosed the bark and seeds over to the Count as she spoke and then waited for her to take them.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
It wouldn't take long for Speedy to return, though it never did. Golden eyes shifted to the healer as she shifted just a bit to be more comfortable. Hey... She paused genuinely contemplating the question for once, though she remained quiet as Speedy stepped closer to take a look at her burns. A piece of bark with poppy seeds was nudged closer to which she managed to sit up for, and nosed before chewing at it. How was she? She wasn't too sure she knew anymore. Speedy, there is some suffering too terrible to name.

Too terrible to name and too powerful to remember. Perhaps that was the reason for memories. You remember what is needed, and what's not is pushed away. You push away what you can never understand. Funny how that worked, and to think once she held on to what she couldn't understand with a burning passion. Do you believe in fate? Is it possible that you can only do so much, but in the end, we are all bound by what was been written?
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Although her answer wasn't at all surprising, the words still sat in the healer's heart like heavy stones. She wished she could do more to help with the pain, but she was doing all she knew. She often wished she could transfer the pain of others to herself, but she had never wished for it more than now. She hated that Ira was suffering so much after everything she had already been through. And to add insult to injury, Hieronymous was officially missing. Speedy knew they were close, and it was just one more loss for her friend. It was a loss for the healer, too; she was fond of the former Constable and liked the idea of him helping Ira lead the pack. Now she worried about where he was and if he was injured or worse. I'm sorry, Ira, she murmured. Once you feel up to it, you can soak in the River; I think that will help more than the moss. She hoped so anyway. 

As for her question, Speedy thought it over for a few moments, her brows pulling together as a concerned frown formed on her face. It certainly seems that way sometimes, she finally answered. But I don't think we're bound by fate. Bad things happen, we both know that, but it's not because it was fated to happen. I think sometimes we just need an answer for something when there really is no answer or reason. Her expression turned thoughtful then. We'll make it through this, she promised.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The Count hummed but shook her head, In a bit, the burns aren't that bad right now. It wasn't the pain she had been referring to. If anything she was just talking out loud while she organized her thoughts and it seemed Speedy might be processing her own as silence fell between the two.

"I don't think we're bound by fate"

It made her ears perk because even though her spiraling thoughts made her want to believe otherwise, she knew she felt the same. Bad things happened, but many actions could still be controlled. You can actively choose to hurt someone just as someone can do everything they can to help a stranger. They played as much of a part in fate as "fate" itself.

Ira bit her lip, eyes focused on something in the distance, And what of repeating events? Do you think it's a sign or a test of one's will? It's true that there was likely no reason, while everything was left to chance...but maybe that's why Speedy was right. Sometimes you just need an answer.

"We'll make it through this"

Tearing her eyes from the outside, Ira turned to her friend, a new question on her mind, Have you ever thought about leading?
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
sorry for the wait

Her burns weren't that bad? Of course, she was happy to hear that her friend wasn't suffering as much physically as she had originally thought, but that meant she was suffering in some other way. It became apparent what she meant as they continued their conversation. 

Speedy moved and settled down next to Ira, careful not to touch any of her burns. Maybe, she answered to the Count's first question. It certainly tests our will, but whether that is the purpose, I don't know. She drew in a breath and released a quiet sigh. Sometimes, things are just too much to persevere through, and that's okay too. Admitting that and asking for help shows strength too. She gave a small huff. I have trouble remembering that sometimes. She was always bad at following her own advice. 

As for leading, it hadn't been on Speedy's radar at all. She was happy where she was, and busy too. Not recently. Of course if that was what Ira wished of her, she would happily help out in any way she could. She couldn't say she never thought of it before; her parents were leaders, and she had once entertained the idea of doing the same when she was older. Was she older now? She had children and a pack that she loved and whose medical needs were her responsibility, but she had trouble seeing herself as anything other than the naive little girl that came here on her own with no plan. Things certainly had changed since then. But was she capable of being a leader?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
you're good!

Her answers were not what the Count had anticipated, yet she found herself agreeing once more with the healer. Life proved to test her and others, though even she did not truly believe that they were bound to fate. Perhaps if one does not take action they are doomed a certain life, but those willing to do whatever it takes have the power to grasp their future.

Yet still, those moments of weakness between were always hard for Ira. Weakness was never something she dealt with well, nor was she the kind of woman to ask for help yet...here she was. It was comforting that Speedy did not see it as a flaw, it made the next part easier, though she was a tad surprised by Speedy's response to leadership. Had she thought of leading in Kaistleoki before or was it something she contemplated earlier in life? What would you say should I ask for your help?

There was a pause as Ira kept her gaze on the healer to see if she understood her question. It wasn't the first time Ira toyed with the thought, Speedy held many great qualities. Perhaps she wouldn't agree, but that was one thing she and her friend had in common. Both were far too quick to diminish their worth and hard work. I think...you would make a great Chamberlain, Speedy. You've done so much already and the pack trusts you, all that's missing the title.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Her eyes widened a little in surprise, and her expression grew a little skeptical. I would do anything for you, Ira, she answered. It was the absolute truth. The only other beings that she was that devoted to were her family. Of course she would go above and beyond for the pack as well, but it was different. Of course, she hadn't expected the type of help the Count was suggesting to be in leadership. Even though they had been discussing it, she just hadn't ever thought to be considered for that. 

She was quiet for a few moments, her expression unreadable. She couldn't say no; she felt honored to be asked to fill such a role. I don't know what to say, she finally offered. I can't really do much fighting, she pointed out. Were leaders not supposed to be able to protect the pack? I mean, I'm honored, obviously. She was rambling, and it was strange. She wasn't often taken off-guard in such a way.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
A short silence stretched out as the healer's eyes widened, clearly surprised by her offer. In all honesty, this had been coming for a long time now, it should be more surprising that it took until now to ask. Speedy claimed that she would do anything for her, and there was no doubt in her mind that it was anything but the truth, though...she still seemed hesitant.

The stilling quiet filled the air once more as she tried to asscess the other's thoughts, but her friend was surprisingly as blank as she herself could be. By the time she gave her final thoughts a small smile pressed at her lips as a chuckle slipped out, You can leave the fighting to me. You would continue your role as Kaistleoki's healer, but it will be your task to ensure good relations within the pack as well. In other words, not much will change, as I said, all you're really missing is the title.

Ira wasn't too surprised Speedy believed she needed skills as a defender, the only other role in the council to be filled was Constable, but there were still other important slots to be filled that strayed from the battlefield and borders. The Constable is responsible for offensive and defensive capabilities. They might act as second in command, but the Chamberlain is supposed to be the closest advisor to the Count. If...Hieronymous returns that would only leave one spot left on the council. The Chancellor, responsible for handling Kaistleoki's relations with other packs.

Once more Ira paused, waiting to gauge her friend's reaction once more to see if she might have come to a final conclusion on her offer. If you would like time to think about it I will not be offended. You are not required to step into leadership.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She would be lying if she tried to say she wasn't relieved to hear that taking on a leadership position wouldn't obligate her to fighting. She would do what needed to be done, but the idea of hurting someone turned her stomach. There were a few situations where she could be pushed to fight, and all had to do with protecting those who meant the most to her—her pack and her family. Still, it was nice to know there were other stronger wolves to do the fighting; they would be more successful at it anyway. Taking care of the emotional needs of the pack and helping to resolve any interpack issues was something she could definitely do, though. She wasn't sure why she went straight to fighting when leadership was mentioned—the well-being of the pack was just as important as protecting it from outside dangers. 

Ira offered her some time to think it over, but Speedy didn't need any time; she already knew what her answer would be. She wouldn't deny the position to care for the pack. Like Ira pointed out, she was doing that anyway. I don't need time to think about it, she said with a small smile and a slight dip of her head. I accept.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
close?

The Count hummed as she let her head rest atop her paws, eyes quick to close in the process. Much to her surprise, Speedy was quick to take her offer, but it pleased her so to have her friend lead alongside her. As she said before, all that was really missing was the title, but it was one the healer deserved, Very well, it's not a grand announcement, but as of now I appoint you to Chamberlain of Kaistleoki. Gold would flick up to the other woman as Ira turned her gaze back to Speedy, a small smile on her lips, Thank you, Speedy.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
sound good

Speedy didn't need a grand announcement; it was enough that Ira trusted her with the responsibility of co-leading. Speedy shook her head at the other woman's thanks. Of course, she replied, looking over the burns. Ira seemed fairly sleepy now, and the healer took that as a good sign that she could get started on what she had originally come here to do.

So unless stopped, she got to work, gently cleaning each patch of angry, singed skin before applying the poultice she had made of a few different things she thought might help soothe the burns as well as protect the Count from infection. And when she was done, she would leave her friend to rest and tend to her other patient.