Noctisardor Bypass I can't turn back around and doubt my destination
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Her question was not directly answered. She could see conflict flowing across his face, but he did not voice any of it to her. Instead, at the end of it all, he just said that any children born here were safe. What a bold statement to make, and one that he could not back up in any way! Then he said that Merrick would come here for revenge. Laurel was not so sure of that; how would he know? More words that were meant to soothe here, were nothing but hollow promises that meant nothing because he had already failed to protect her in the first place.

And what if they were not? What if she would find her children murdered by this man, too? What accountability would Mahler even take? He was just spouting out words that sounded good, but gave her no guarantees. At the end of the day, if things would tumble south, it would be her neck on the line and not his. She was the only one who had something to lose from believing in his pretty white lies. He doesn't even know she's dead, Laurel said, her voice echoing how annoyed she felt about Mahler's empty words. She didn't believe his words, that much was easy to tell from looking at her.

It annoyed her, too, that he thought it was all about petty vengeance. A cause that was hers, not the packs. It was a reminder of how she was Laurel, not a part of Rivenwood. Her problems were her own, her problems were just petty vengeance. Rivenwood did not take any accountability or responsibility towards them. Which was fair enough. It was what Laurel was used to from packs. The thing that annoyed her about it was that she thought Mahler was different; Rivenwood was different. Now she felt like a young girl waking up after a magical night with her prince charming, only to realise that he wasn't who he said he was at all. Just a beggar from the streets. How could she have been so naïve to truly think that Rivenwood could offer her a second chance?

There's only one thing you can rely on, dearest. Her frown darkened. One thing that stays the same. She scratched behind her ear after an apparent itch. I'll always be here for you, my dearest.

Laurel felt her heart harden — it had to, it was the only thing she could do! — and she said, Well, that's okay. I didn't truly expect to get anything better. Laurel stared out at the water, and though she did not say it, she waited for him to leave. They all did in the end, after all. She wasn't sure why Mahler even wanted her here anymore. Maybe he didn't, but he was too polite to turn her away, especially now. She could see the guilt in his eyes, but Laurel could not bring herself to abuse it now. She didn't want men to do things for her out of guilt anymore. She wanted genuine love. And it was clear that that was just another fairytale.

Iliksis was the only one who would ever love her. Who showed her what love and devotion looked like. Twisted, torn; and yet, still more than what Xan or Mahler had given her. The realisation tightened her throat and she continued to look at the lake, pretending to be uncaring.
Messages In This Thread
RE: I can't turn back around and doubt my destination - by Laurel - August 05, 2021, 02:58 AM