Lion Head Mesa fear is the mind killer
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Joining 
Sihaya traveled alone for many days to follow a rumor he had heard in the warmer, southern territories. Something about a samurai queen, a pharaoh, and a quorum of coyotes… the match seemed particularly exotic and exciting to the bachelor hybrid. He tread carefully through the forest and arrived at the mesa. A place for him perhaps? Beyond the Order of Siahaedra's watchful gaze. Dark eyes regarded the scrim carefully, before he yodeled to make his presence known.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
you are certain that this will help? a pile of freshly plucked leafy fronds lay before satsu, their ends yellowed, bundled by a length of straw. placed daintily at the foot of tamar, who looked sheepish beneath the scrutiny of her queen.
a sigh; satsu's head still throbbed and this was meant to be a remedy.
this far from the heart of the mesa and her bed, the ascendant was especially cautious. she and her servant had grown a touch closer of late, but that did not subtract from the obvous master-and-subject relationship between them, nor the sharp manner of satsu's behavior on occasion.
she looked over one shoulder to see if she was being watched for sport (by @Arsenio most likely), and was resigned to the fate of guinea pig for whatever witchery tamar had been convinced would work for this pounding in the woman's head.
she saw a leggy shape in the distance—jawahir?
the masculine yowling stabbed at satsu's poor ears.
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Two figures appeared in due time and though they were both small of frame, the contrast in their posture could not have been greater. There was a coy, meek women of crimson and sand. Besides her a strong, athletic warrior of blue slate and charcoal. It was clear as day who held the superior rank… and the familiar sight reminded him of life in The Order.

Sihaya’s large ears orbited forward curiously, eyes squinting to shield out the sun. “Hail,” he called out to them. “I have heard of Samurai and Pharaoh of the Mesa. I seek to join their ranks.” Straight to the point. Sihaya was learned in the ways of diplomacy, and though he had mastered the art of manipulation among the Reverend Mothers of Siahaedra, he sought new ventures where his gender would not bar him from advancement.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
the stranger moved closer. satsu did not like the look of him, but she took comfort in knowing she was on her own land and accompanied by tamar. she even thought of herself as fortunate for the presence of arsenio despite not seeing him nearby; he was never far.
when the stranger spoke it was with some familiarity of akashingo. satsu had never been called samurai in her life; it begged the question,
and who are you? what benefits akashingo for having you serve?
satsu watched them carefully.
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Sihaya could see he was been evaluated by the sharp look in his company’s eyes. He could not of known he stood before Akashingo’s queen.

“Akashingo?” he echoed. “Is that what the pack is called? A fine name,” he complimented. Respectful flattery was always a promising way to make good acquaintances.

“My name is Sihaya El-sayal of Golden Dunes,” he dipped his head as if to do a proper curtsey. “I have left my kind for better pastures. I was the messenger and diplomat for my pack’s Reverend Mother – ah, lead female,” Sihaya corrected himself. He paused thoughtfully as head swiveled like a snake’s. “I have something of a thirst for knowledge and can help you with reconnaissance of friends and foes alike.” Another pause. “I also seek to expand my talents… I am not opposed to assuming a different role.”

His narrow face tilted as if to ask the strong woman’s thoughts.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
curious. this man knew of ramesses and herself somehow, but not the claim upon which he stood. there were many of them now living upon the mesa — though as she thought about it, satsu wondered if the presence of the bear-wolves might confuse things.
the man introduces himself. he has a name that brings to mind jawahir, or tamar who loiters by her side now, the maiden having shrunken back as the man drew close. as if the queen ascendant could protect them both.
she does not trust him.
i am the samurai you speak of, which feels strange to say aloud, calling herself this thing that she is not, and never could be. her chin raises slightly but she falters when he makes motion to bow, surprised again.
akashingo needs warriors—but a man who claims a thirst for knowledge? that could be of use to her.
we are preparing to go to war. and the tone implied a further question: what use is your diplomacy then?
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
A small curl of his lip twisted into a wry smile when the stranger informed Sihaya that she was the Samurai he had sought. He dipped his head once again, eyes bright with amusement. “Then I am a fortunate man for finding you, my liege,” he said.

The queen did not mince words. “War? Whatever for?” he asked plainly without batting an eye. The tactician in him giggled gleefully. He could see she assed him with a dubious eye. “Ah, for war you must need many battle-ready wolves… and you must look and me and see only what I am not.” A tilt of his head, challenging her perception. “But who will hunt to feed your warriors? Who will scout in front to find an enemy’s weakness? Who will help you build your dynasty once these warriors have slaughtered your enemies? And who will help you maintain order when these strong underlings grow thirsty for blood and attempt to usurp the hand that fed them?”

He paused. “I have seen it happen before,” Sihaya explained.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
she thought his manner of speech was curious.
we know where the enemy are, and have an idea of how many. they are formidable — giants, and beasts, with much experience that akashingo lacks. this was her way of saying, we do not need spies; but she could still use him. she thought immediately of crowfeather's request and something in her softened.
these people live in a nearby canyon. we used to serve them, but broke away and built this place for ourselves, and their queen did not take kindly to that.
thinking of nyra's visit made satsu bristle, fortunately her short coat did not betray her feelings much.
she attacked us, harmed pharaoh and mortally wounded another.
if he had heard of akashingo somehow before this, how did he not know of the war that brewed between the mesa and the mountains? perhaps he was lying. satsu chose to be more guarded.
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Sihaya listened closely to the regent’s tale. She was a matter-of-fact woman, succinct in her speech like a well sharpened katana, who sat back and let her company's reactions speak for themselves. He found her candor a little boring – she reminded him of old Reverend Mother Jalpaite.

“Your foe sounds quite indomitable,” Sihaya observed. “I must admit, you do not advertise your crusade well. Do you mean to tell me I seek to join a losing bet?” he asked with a cluck of his tongue. "What separates Akashingo from your mother pack? Why should I want to fight for you?" he asked earnestly.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
satsu sighs. her features remain cold.
we have allies with a vendetta of their own against our enemies. combined, we will be victorious. it was only a matter of time before the blood-thirsty nyra returned to try their teeth against akashingo, and this time they were prepared.
a pause came as satsu thought to herself, her shoulders relaxing slightly.
they are strong, there is no denying that. but their leader is mad, and we can exploit that. she watched him but gave little time for comment, and went on to speak a new thought aloud.
we had thought to send a spy among them. it is fortunate, and honestly a touch suspicious to me, that you would come along so swiftly, boasting of such abilities. but if she had truly thought him dangerous he would be set-upon by arsenio's fangs by now.
her eyes said, i have a use for you after all.
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
So their enemy was a mad queen. Rabid dogs, thought Sihaya, were often put down. He would not interrupt the Samurai as she spoke, he simply listened with a calm attention and simpering smile. When she mentioned their intentions, he couldn’t help but let out a small chuckle.

“Well then, it seems my timing couldn't have been more perfect,” he said. “Allow me to be your eyes in the dark and your fangs in the distance, queen Samurai – ah,” he breathed, stopping himself short. “What may I call you? I don’t even know your name,” he asked.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
he is agreeable. of course he is; she still wasn't entirely trusting of him, but with nowhere else to go now, and so close to akashingo, a betrayal would cost him too much.
i am called-- the woman hesitates a second, but smiles slightly.
nekubi satsu. remembering the name she had bestowed upon herself in pharaoh's presence, and finding it fitting now.
i would ask that you find yourself a sleeping place, and then after you have settled, seek out a man named crowfeather. though she did not know he had already departed by this point.
i promised to send him someone for this quest of his. it will be your chance to prove yourself. there was a shift in her smile, as it vanished, and the chill returned.
this was his one warning.
41 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Thanks for the great thread!!

Sihaya noticed the subtle pause – the queen overcome her hesitation and state her name profoundly. “Nekubi Satsu,” he chanted lyrically in return, wondering if the name had a deeper meaning beyond its harsh consonants. A language he did not know.

“It will be my pleasure,” he replied agreeably, unaware, on this horrid day, that Crowfeather had been marred by the tyrant queen and left for dead.

He nods to his new captain and turns to depart, but not before eyeing the coy servant @Tamar at Satsu’s side. This Mesa would be an exciting new adventure.