Razorback Ridge when the stars collide
my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Set on the outside of Epoch, along where Razorback Ridge meets Northstar Vale, not far from the border @Kallik

Finally, food… she had ravenously tore through a rabbit, letting it do what little it could to sate the burning in her stomach… the area even became recognizable to her. She would recognize the mountains anywhere… and yet, there had been no sign of Mereo, instead scents she hadn’t known at home… which naturally had led her elsewhere. It had led her towards Epoch instead, hoping to find that they remained… she had nearly reached it when the hare had caught her attention. She had narrowly managed to catch it… it’s foot had gotten caught in a crevice which had made it fairly easy pickings for her… and now?

Now, she was simply tired, tucked against a rock so her back was covered, the scent of hare blood mixed with her fur as she laid her head down, seeking just a few moments of rest before she continued her push, preparing for the crippling disappointment of more strange scents, or worse no scents at all.

But for now, she was tired. The weight of the past few months weighed heavily on her back as she let out a soft sigh, nearly unable to keep her eyes open. She’d jostled her shoulder just enough for part of the wound to open back up, but she was too tired to even deal with that. It would clot on it’s own, matting her fur but she could deal with it when she woke.

She had to hope it was indeed Towhee and Arsenio close enough that should a patrol find her, they might offer her some semblance of safety… a place to recover, so she might continue on to find her husband and her sons.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Patrolling was his only real respite from his constant worry. He had no idea where his family was; he had failed them and now who knows what might be happening to them. Nanuq was gone; he still needed to make a trip to Paleo to see if Siku was still there. Every day he woke up alone, he was reminded how he had no control. He was riddled with anxiety and guilt, and he would give anything just to see Aquene or his sons again. Having even part of his family back might make the days less torturous. 

Kallik had been patrolling the southern edge of the territory, following the valley as it curved, eventually making his way up the western border. Things had been quiet so far, and he had found it easy to get lost in his work, using the focus to escape his feelings—it had always been his way. 

He picked up Aquene's scent first and thought he was imagining things. But the closer he got to the ridge that overlooked the valley, the stronger the scent was. It was then that he realized it was mixed with the scent of blood. Panic squeezed his heart, and he quickened his pace, terrified of the state he might find his wife in. As he came towards a turn in the path, her scent was even stronger, and he could smell rabbit, which hopefully meant she was in decent enough shape to be able to hunt, or that's what he chose to believe. 

As he made the turn, he saw her. It felt like his heart stopped for a moment and then started to race. Aquene? He closed the distance between them, only then noticing that her fur was matted with blood. Are you okay? he asked as he gently pushed his head into hers. He couldn't believe she was actually here. But she looked thin and he could tell she had been traveling for a while. I am so sorry, Aquene. He was sorry for everything she had to bear while they were apart. If he could have switched places with her, he would have without question.
Inuttuk
Common
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
It was not uncommon for her family to slip into her dreams… for Kallik or her sons to make an appearance, and to speak with her. It became something of a comfort for the moments where she felt it safe enough to close her eyes and get some rest.

She was certain it had to be some kind of lucid dream, hearing his voice linger in the air as she began to drift off… it wasn’t until he felt the gentle push of his head that her eyes dragged back open, a sense of relief flooding over her features as her heart raced. “Моя любовь.” Her native tongue fell from her lips, lifting her head to gently nuzzle against his. “Kallik.” She trailed softly, not processing his question, just relieved to see him there, alive and unharmed. She was relieved to see him. She had never been more relieved to see anyone in her life.

“Mereo… it’s gone… strangers are there.” There was concern in her tone as she began to push to her feet, wincing lightly in the process. She’d push her head into the crook of his neck, breathing in his scent… it mixed with the familiar scents of home… of Tamar, and of Towhee… scents she’d recognize in a heartbeat. Scents of a pack, a family, a home. “Do not apologize… I am here now, we are here now.” No matter what tore them apart, they always seemed to find their way back to each other.

“Siku? And Nanuq?” She asked, a worried tone. What of their sons? Were they with him as well? What had their sons gotten up to in her absence? Last she had known Nanuq was in Epoch, and Siku in Paleo. She had not been to Paleo, and did not catch any scent of their son on Kallik or in the area… all she wished for was her family to be there, together and whole once more. “What has happened?”
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He didn't know what she said first; it was in her native language, but he felt the love in the word. And how she said his name—so many times he had wondered if he would ever hear that again.

She mentioned Mereo and it felt like a kick to the gut. I looked there first when I found my way back. I noticed the same. I asked Towhee...she said the imperator just left and then Mereo fell apart. Saying it even now, it still didn't sound like him. What would have made him desert Mereo? 

Aquene pressed into his neck, and Kallik settled his head on her shoulders, careful to avoid the wound there. The sight off it made anger swell in his chest. She told him not to apologize, pointing out that she was here now and they were together again. I missed you very much. I've been so worried. But she was right: they were both here now. Now, he wouldn't be alone. 

He tensed when she asked about Nanuq and Siku. Nanuq is gone. I don't know where he went. He left before Towhee got here because she hadn't seen him. I need to make a trip to Paleo to check on Siku. He hoped at least Siku was still safe and sound with the other pack. Otherwise, he didn't know how he would handle both sons being missing. It was hard enough now, and he didn't even know if Siku was gone. I promise, I will never stop searching. I will find Nanuq and Siku too if he's no longer with Paleo.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
It had become habit, surrounded by brutes who only responded to her native tongue… it had reached a point where it so naturally fell from her lips once more. He mentioned the same, and that Towhee had said that it fell apart after the Imperator had abandoned it, left… it did not sound right. Germanicus had sat through much… she could not imagine anything pulling him from the militaristic home that he had built. She knew, because she had often fought with him when it came to such things… about where their priorities laid in life.

She felt a soft sob, one of relief. “I missed you too.” She promised softly, nuzzling once more, finding comfort in every inch of contact she garnered. “I wasn’t sure I’d see you again… that I’d see anyone… I…” She trailed for a moment, taking a breath. “After we got separated, I was found by охотники that my father had sent out… I got away, but I do not know if they followed after me. I cut across a river and I think they lost my scent because of it but I can’t be sure.” Just because she had not run into them, did not mean that they were there. There was an answer in her voice, an anger that was undeniable but clearly not directed towards the man in front of her.

It was a nightmare she very much wanted to end, be it by her tearing their throats out or them giving up… the choice was in their court now.

He spoke of not knowing where they were… that Siku might still remain with Paleo but that Nanuq was gone. She felt her heart drop into her stomach. We will never stop searching.” She corrected softly, her eyes softening. “I can’t lose you again… we can’t lose each other again.” Wherever he went, she would follow. Twice was far too much already. “Is Towhee still with Epoch? And Tamar and Arsenio are still in charge?”
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Aquene explained that she had been taken by hunters sent by her father. The anger grew and burned, his blood boiled. How could he have let this happen? He would never forgive himself. And if he ever saw any of them again, he would rip their throats out. Aquene didn't know if they had followed her here. I will not let them touch you again, he promised. She could take care of herself, he knew, but he still vowed to keep her safe because he loved her; he was supposed to protect her and how many times had he failed so far? He was lucky the universe continued to bring them back together. He certainly didn't deserve someone like Aquene. He started to lick some of the blood from her fur, needing to do something to help her. 

He nodded when she corrected him, promising that they would search together. She said she couldn't lose him again, that they couldn't lose each other. I can't lose you either. I am nothing without you, Aquene, he murmured into her fur. 

Yes, Towhee is still with Epoch; she leads with Tamar and Arsenio, he explained, pausing a moment as he remembered the despair that had been etched into her face when she greeted him at the borders. But—Maxim is missing; I think she will be happy to see you. He was her friend too, but he wasn't so great with comforting and talking about feelings. Aquene would be much better at that.
Inuttuk
Common
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She could feel the anger radiate off of him as well. He spoke, promising her that he would never let them touch her again and she found herself shaking her head. “No.” She stated simply. “If they come here. If they find me, I will rip their throats out.” She would be the one to watch the life fade from their eyes and know that it was she that was responsible. She stated simply, a calmness likely brought about by the toll. She was done with it; she was done with them; she was done with the way the past had a nasty habit of rearing it’s ugly head.

He started to lick the blood from her fur. “It’s hare’s blood I think.” She stated softly to him, though no doubt he’d be able to taste the difference. “I’m right here. I will always be right here.” She’d attach herself to him at the hip and follow him around like a shadow if that was what it took. “I am nothing without you. You're stuck with me, for the rest of our lives.” She’d repeat the words back to him, believing it fully. It was a promise, something she had promised him even before they married.

She found relief in the small things… in Towhee still being in Epoch, in Tamar and Arsenio leading and having brought her in as well to help them lead. It all showed good things. “I hope so… no doubt she’s got all kinds of questions for me.” Towhee usually had something up her sleeve. “I think Tamar should look me over… I did what I could but I didn’t have the best supplies and it was a little hard to get to.” She stated in reference to her shoulder this time. She had trained Tamar, and she trusted her to do her due diligence.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He didn't like it—letting her fight those bastards. But he knew she needed this. After everything they had done, she needed to be the one to end their lives. Kallik would have to just stand back and let her do what she needed to do. All right, he said after a few moments. I do not like it but I understand. Hopefully they would never see them again and Kallik wouldn't have to sit by and watch Aquene fight. 

It is your blood too, coming from your wound, he told her. He could easily tell the difference between the hare's blood and hers and there was a mixture matted into her fur. She said she would always be right there with him, and he believed her. And I will always be here with you, he promised in return. He managed a small, amused sound at her words. I would not want to be stuck with anyone else. And you are everything; you could never be nothing. She was kind and beautiful and he was never letting her go. 

I have never seen her so...sad. I am sure she could use your kindness right now. And I am sure she has many questions for you too. He hated that Aquene had been alone and injured, unable to treat her wounds properly. He stopped cleaning her fur to nuzzle into her neck and draw in her scent. I think that should be the first thing you do once you feel up to traveling again. Until then, I will stay with you and make sure you have food. No matter how she was feeling, he wanted her to rest. He also wanted to get another meal into her before she tried to travel again.
Inuttuk
Common
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
No doubt there would be preparation for it… requesting spars from her husband, or Towhee, or any of the other capable fighters she knew lingered within Epoch. She would not be caught unprepared when the time came, as she had the last time. She had allowed her training to defend herself to fall on the backburner between motherhood, her duties as a healer, and her Matrona duties that she had not stood a fair chance, but that was all about to change.

He spoke that it was her blood and she frowned. “I pulled my shoulder. It must have reopened.” She stated softly, her eyes softening at his promise to always be there. She would nuzzle gently against his neck as he assured her once more that he would not want to be stuck with anyone else.

At the mention of Towhee seeming… sad… concern lit underneath her. She had never seen the woman anything other than upbeat and jovial, except perhaps the anger she saw Towhee harness when Dmitri had shown up at the borders. “I’m sure she does.” Perhaps being able to bombard her with overly invasive questions would give her something to smile about.

“I’m so tired, Kallik.” She managed softly. “I think I could sleep for a week straight.” She knew she would certainly try to.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik didn't like that she was out here, injured without anyone to help her treat her wounds. He wanted to get her back to Tamar as quickly as possible, but he knew he couldn't rush her. She needed more rest and food before they headed back to Epoch. He continued ued to clean the blood away. It looks like it has stopped bleeding for now at least, he assured her. Aquene nuzzled into him and he leaned into the affection. He wanted to soak in every second spent with her. He was way too familiar with what it felt like to be without her.

She told him how tired she was and he pulled away from her to nudge her and settle on the ground, keeping her between him and the stone wall. Come lay down; I will watch over you while you sleep. When you wake, I will get us something to eat. All you need to focus on right now is resting. Now that he was here, he would take care of anything she needed.
Inuttuk
Common
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She found relief that at least the bleeding had stopped, not enough awareness about her to realize that on her own. She would nod to the words even though she did not verbally respond to him. He nudged her towards the ground and he would not have to tell her twice when he told her to get some rest, assuring her that he would watch over her while she was asleep.

She would not need to be told twice to sleep either, letting her head rest on her paws with a yawn, nuzzling towards him, hoping he would lay right with her, and she could have the constant company of his fur against hers that she had missed for so many weeks until she woke once more.