Phoenix Maplewood It was inevitable.
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Feel free to say goodbye! Tagging the ones she knew @Reek @Saena @Ukko @Tavi @Nanook. I would like Scarlett to stay in the pack a bit longer so I can wrap up older an older thread involving Nanook.

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Death

In the end every single bit of help had been only there to prolong the days of Scarlett's life. She was grateful that she had been supported in the last days of her life. If it hadn't been for Reek or Ukko she would have died long ago. Yet, with her fight to live being gone the woman was slowly declining. She was not afraid about her daughters, she had the feeling they would make it. The mother had to let go because he pain was too great. Her wounds were deep, not only physically but also mentally. Her physical wounds started to crust, each movement opened them up again giving new dangers for infection. Reek had gone through most of his supplies which made Scarlett feel a bit guilty about. But being somewhat of a healer herself she could imagine that a healer wouldn't care if their herbs were gone as long as they helped in the end. They had helped for her, but not with having her will to fight back in her system.

Scarlett died in peace. It was like she had been expecting, each time she woke up from a nap or a good rest she was surprised. Eventually there was one nap which she never woke up from. Her lack of food and her protests to get up for water probably quickened that process. She was taken from this world but not in the most unbearable way. Her kindness had taken her on a strange path that didn't end well for herself. She just hoped that at least her children would do something good with their life. She regretted leaving Kove in such a hurry and breaking up their family. Yet, now there was no more pain for her in store and she could rest. One last breath came from her tired body. Scarlett was gone.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Desna had been around the den her mother stayed in. Each morning she as pay her her a visit now, not wanting the others to think she was gone and away from the pack. She didn't want to be homeless. With light steps she entered the den but it was instantly clear to her, being a hunter, that there was no life anymore in the body of her mother. Instantly tears welled up in her eyes. She trotted forward to Scarlett and snuggled against her body for one last time. It wasn't the same, she wasn't giving off any warmth. Desna started to cry softly because it was only making this more real.

She dragged herself from her mother soon after, feeling weird to lay against her mother's dead body. "Goodbye, Mother. I hope you are at peace now," she whispered before leaving. Instantly she howled to the sky with the grave message. She was crying because she would miss her mother but if Desna was really honest with herself she was actually relieved that her mother wasn't in pain anymore. She looked rather miserable and hopefully this would give her more rest. Desna wished her sister was here, her other sister too, but Sesi had been gone for a long time. The timid girl seemed to have vanished. Desna was thinking of at least seeking out her father to tell him the news.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
While he kept to no concrete schedule, Reek tried to check in on Scarlett and Saena at least three times a day, usually with meat in tow for the two wolves to share (though, lately it had been mainly Saena who ate his offerings). There was little variance to his loose schedule, and while the exact time differed each and every day, he tried to check in once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and one final time at nightfall, where he would drop off their daily ration and tend to their wounds in every way he could before retiring for the night under the stars and above his subterranean hideaway.

He was in the process of making his second round of the day.  Carried in his jaw he dragged the upper thigh of a moose the pack had felled and cached days prior.  Clinging to the meat was mixture of frost and dirt, but food was food, and he knew both his girls would be greatful. It was an awkward, backwards shuffle all the way back to the den/infirmary, but he was close.  His progress, however, was impeaded with the sound of a somber howl coming from one of Scarlett's children.  Reek's heart hitched in his chest; he knew the howl could only mean one thing. He had failed. Scarlett had slipped away.

Immediately, denial set in. Reek let go of the thigh and took off towards his den. He needed to see for himself, or else he'd never believe it. Upon arrival, he saw Desna weeping near the mouth of the den, but he pushed foward into the entrance without a word.  There, he found her alone.  Still and devoid of all life.  She would be the second friend he would he would have to bury this year.  Her death was another chink in Reek's already broken emotional armor.  But suprisingly, he held it together. No tears fell, at least, not yet.

He left the den and settled against the child's side.  "I'm so sorry," he whispered, voice dripping with sorrow. "I coudn't save her."
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
@Sesi feel free to pop in anytime

It was soon when Reek arrived. Desna felt horrible for him. He had been doing his best in trying to save her mother. Desna was grateful for his comfort. The girl licked under his chin as a sign of thank you but also comfort for him. "It is okay. More than okay. You did everything. I had the feeling she didn't want to get better. You are amazing healer, Reek. I cannot be more grateful for what you did for my mother," she spoke, surprisingly steady. She smiled a bit through her tears to show him that she meant it.

Desna knew it was going to be tough not having a mother to refer to but she had the feeling that she could always go to Reek. She settled against him, waiting for her sister Nanook, if she would show up. Desna had given up hope on Sesi. She had searched and searched but the girl had just vanished before their eyes, maybe she was with her mother now.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Ukko is on the borders when he hears the call and his whole body turns cold, bearing the frost at his tips to penetrate the warmth his body is able to maintain. The last time he'd seen Scarlett, she told him the grave news but he refused to believe it. This howl couldn't be real, either, and whom it belonged to is just mistaken. The longer he stands there, though, the more it sets in and he feels regret build inside his chest. He could have done more. Visited more than he had, hunted for more, offered more help to Reek than he had. If he hadn't been avoiding his leaders as much as he had, he could have been there for Scarlett more.

He bites back the bile that builds up in the back of his throat and howls, long and sorrowful. The ending is cut short, broken, when he chokes out a mangled sob that his friend is gone. His chest grips in pain and he tries to move on with what he'd been doing but he only stumbles away from the territory aimlessly.

Only post for Ukko.
gone girl
87 Posts
Ooc —
She had set out to follow the mysterious stranger at the borders - now Alpha of Porcupine Ridge, but Sesi was not to know that - and had gotten lost within hours of setting out. Fear had rooted her to the little glade where the realization had struck, and instead of systematically searching for her own trail and following it home, she had remained in place for weeks. Only when things grew desperate did she even try - and when she finally did, it took less than two hours to get back.

If the fates had conspired to bring her back, they had not worked hard enough - Sesi arrived too late to say goodbye to her mother. Her last words to Scarlett had been something along the lines of "you're being too loud". Well, now that would no longer be a problem - ever again.

She crept up on Reek and Desna, staring at the sombre gathering with big, fearful eyes. Her voice was a whispery wheeze when she spoke. "Where's mum?" It didn't occur to start with an apology; the trauma of being lost had corrupted all but the most basic of social functions.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Desna may have accepted the passing of her mother in stride, but Reek still refused to accept the terms and circumstances of Scarlett's demise. He was overcome with a level of sadness that left him feeling hollow and paper-thin. Although he had done everything he could to heal her body, Reek still felt he could have done more to help. Addressing her physical wounds had not been enough in the long run; she succumbed to a poisoned mind— her will to live, spent.  

He accepted Desna's gestures of thanks, but her display brought him little comfort. Scarlett had been in his care, she was his responsibility— and he had failed both her and her family.  Reek hung his head low with shame.  Ears splayed backwards, Reek remained silent and he pressed in closer to Desna for comfort. The poor thing was now an orphaned child, alone in the world.  Of course, Reek woud care for her and her siblings like they were his own now that Scarlett was gone. It would have been what she would have wanted

The pained howl from the border came from Ukko. Scarlett had touched the lives of each and every longstanding member of the maplewood.  Surely, her loss would be felt by all.  Briefly, Reek wondered if Ukko would join them and pay his respects.  When he finally heard a rustling in the brush, Reek slowly fixed his gaze on what he thought would be Ukko.  Instead, it was another child: Sesi, another one of Scarlett's daughters.  He hadn't seen much of the awkward girl around the territory, but he didn't think much of it. In fact, he hardly noticed she was gone in the first place.

"She's gone Ses," he murmered. She seemed to be the fragile sort. Knowing this, Reek debated allowing her enterance to the den to see her mother in the state she was.  After a quick internal debate, Reek conceded.  Motioning to the den with his muzzle, Reek murmered, "you can say goodbye if you want to."
gone girl
87 Posts
Ooc —
Sneaky little reply post to Reek.

Gone. Sesi stared at Reek, confused, missing - or ignoring - his invitation to enter the den. "But if she's gone already.. how can I say goodbye?" Gone had registered as just that - missing, not present. Later in life, if and when she ever found her way back to herself, Sesi would recognize this moment as a turning point. Her grey stare flickered between Desna, Reek, and the open den. It smelled of mother, but different. Flat.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Desna had no verbal reply to her kind words to Reek but the male did lean back against her. She thought that was enough for now. There was nothing left to say. Desna did hope that Reek took her words to heart. She meant them. Her ears perked up at the howl, it was Ukko. He was sad too. The girl had not realized how many lives her mother had touched. Did that mean she had done the same? Maybe it finally settled to her that this pack was her family. Even if she wanted to tell this to her father and wanted to visit Mason and Steady at Silvertip she would probably return to these lands. These lands were her home.

Desna sat in silence next to him until the bushes ruffled. She was expecting Nanook or Saena but never she would have guessed it was Sesi. Desna let out a deep frown when she saw her sister instead of greeting her excitedly. Her hazel eyes scowled at her sister that she hadn't seen in months. Reek responded soon enough when she asked about their mother. Desna was feeling a bit bitter since Sesi had left her. She had been Sesi's favorite sister, one to always help her and then she just left?! How rude. Desna scowled at her sister. "Where were you Sesi?," she questioned sharply. "Mother was injured and you were gone. I needed you. You left me! I never left you. I was always there for you when you were scared and you were not there for me when I needed you!!" Desna was a bit fed up with her sisters pushing her away and heading off on their own.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Meant to reply sooner, sorry about that! (and good to have you back with Sesi, Karm!)

For once, Nanook was close at hand. The sight of her mother lying sick had cut her to the marrow, and every desire to distance herself fell quickly away. There remained the perpetual fear in being so close to her family, the same anxiety that had driven her away, but stronger was the inexplicable need to be with them now. Nanook knew her mother was dying, and the understanding darkened her world and numbed the storm inside.

Yet Desna's lament brought a shock of clarity, and Nanook clenched her jaw against the wave of disbelief that barred her mind. Within seconds she was on her feet, pushing her way toward her sister and the den where their mother lay. Something inside resisted the news her sister's sorrow spelt. Mama was dying, but she couldn't be dead. Yet one look upon the sombre bodies of Desna and Reek brought her denial to a simmering end.

Mama's scent still flowed from the den, but it was different now, and smothered by the taint of bitter herbs. It took Nanook a moment to register the third body there, but her attention turned from the surprise of Sesi's return when Desna's voice took a turn of sharp irritation. Though Desna directed her rebuke at Sesi, Nanook felt their sting all the same. Her ears slicked back and she froze in her progression. Her uncertain gaze flicked between the trio before she finally averted her eyes to the mouth of mama's den, but that only made her chest pinch tighter.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek's attempt to be delicate with Sesi only resulted in further confustion when she interpreted gone to be the literal definition and not the figurative meaning that Reek tried to imply.  Reek bit his lip in apprehensive silence, but Desna soon relieved him of the duty to speak.  While Reek had no idea she had been missing from the territory, he knew now from Desna's frustrated tirade.  The timing of Sesi's return would be punishment enough, he felt it unneccisary to persue any further action. Nor was Reek in the proper emotional state to do anything of the sort.

By the time Desna had finished, the third and final child of the maplewood arrived to grieve. Nanook was a sharp one; Reek wouldnt need to dance around the morbid truth with her, but it seemed she knew the full weight of the situation by the sadness wrought across her face. "I did everything I could," he mumbled helplessly. Never had he ever felt so powerless. "She passed in peace."
gone girl
87 Posts
Ooc —
You left me, I needed you, you weren't there. Desna's angry words passed over Sesi's skin like ice water. The pressure inside her skull was becoming unbearable - she struggled to piece together a single coherent thought, much less present it in words. Gone. Gone in peace. It felt as though all the world was a twister, whirling around her with all the noise and confusion and panic that came with the real thing. One thought crystalized, rising to the fore like bubble from the depths of a black ocean.

Scarlett was dead.

And with a loud POP! that no-one else could hear, Sesi's mind threw and exception and crashed.

Outwardly, it looked as though the girl had just been roused from a nap by a sudden noise. She shook her head, blinked a couple of times at the wolves in her vicinity and frowned at the dark space where her mother's body rested. "Shadow King," the silver girl said out loud - and then she bolted.

Last post from me!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Desna watched her sister act all weird. Instead of saying sorry she just bolted after yelling something about a shadow king? What was wrong with her?! Desna let out a growl as her sister left. Though it didn't take long for guilt to bubble up and she was back to crying again. Desna slumped down. Even after her sister finally returned she managed to scare her away again. The girl sniffled softly.

That was when she realized Nanook was here too. Desna trotted to her sister and buried her face into her neck. She really needed to comfort of her sister now. She just did the same thing she blamed Nanook for, pushing others away. It seemed to happen quite frequently with the sisters. "I chased Sesi away...," she let out, feeling horrible, even though Sesi had left her for months. Now instead of acting out her anger Desna was back to feeling horrible again. "When does it stop Nanook? Why is our family so broken. It is unfair," Desna whined.
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Cameo, no need to acknowledge or include her.

From the depths of the den that Saena shared with Scarlett while they both healed, Saena heard the exchange. Scarlett was gone. The alpha felt a pang of guilt and sorrow for the woman's passing, but there was also a greedy wave of relief. She would no longer need to share the space. Her mate's stores would no longer be depleted on the hopeless case that was Scarlett, whom had shown no fight or will to go on living. Most importantly, she would no longer need to endure the presence of Scarlett's young in the den, whom Saena held no love for.

Well, it wasn't wholly true. Desna was a worthy and useful asset to the pack. Her sisters, on the other hand, were about a hair's breadth from being thrown out on their asses by the vindictive Alpha female, who felt that their mother's promise had not and would not be fulfilled. Desna had risen to the challenge and so would always have a home in the maplewood and the tolerance and potential respect of the Alpha female, but Nanook and Sesi were about as useless as bumps on a log. Sesi in particular. Yes, she was tired of them and felt slighted by them, and so she was glad they would not disturb her rest any longer. They would come, say their final farewells, and then leave her in peace until she felt well enough to deal with them.

When Saena heard the slightest girl's voice, her lips lifted into a silent snarl as she glared out from the darkness. She was unnoticed, though, and soon the sylph left. Saena hoped she would not return to the maplewood. The Alpha's eyes cut to Nanook next, and when Desna lifted her voice in a whine, she snapped and growled, "oh, shut up, you're all giving me a headache." She turned sourly away from them and faced the back of the den, willing them to leave if they insisted on whining to each other.