Duskfire Glacier I just love a good mystery, don't you?
32 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
Clear is the sky... dim is the light... crisp is the air upon bare touch.

Early was the morn', but time would be wasted if steps were not taken before the sun would fully kiss the earth.

An adventurous kick was always in this one's step; a yearning to learn more than what she knew kept close in consideration.

Coming of age meant a great deal. No longer would Askari be under the watchful gaze of austere guidance. From here on, she was free to make decisions beneficial to her future and no one else's. 'Twas all refreshing, really. Think of when the tongue is dry and the mouth requires for thirst to be quenched... once the opportunity is standing near, it is hard to object. Of all occasions, this would not be turned away with ease.

Regardless the time of day, Askari had a gentle, but excited bounce to her stride. There was no location set to mind — only high hopes stowed at heart. Where the future would guide, she knew not. But, the more it is thought, a mystery takes the place of question. Who doesn't love a good mystery?

@Issorartuyok or @Lane Whichever are available to come upon the red lass first. ^^
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
I expect you'll get both, but here's Lane for now. Welcome! I'm so glad you decided to bring a character up this direction, I was really hoping you would!

The new leader understood that it was now necessary for her to routinely add her scent to the border, so she often completed this duty first thing in the morning to get the chore out of the way. She was just out here for a minute-- to do her duty and pee on some things-- and then she would get back to what was really important: nursing their fallen leader, Wintersbane.

Perhaps for this reason, greeting a visitor at her border was the last thing Lane expected to do. When her eyes fell on the approaching stranger, she brightened visibly, glad for the opportunity to postpone her monotonous chore. Lane stood on the border with her tail waving, cheerfully welcoming in the newcomer as they made their way up the moraine. 

The closer the stranger came, the more Lane realized just how small they were in stature-- why, they were hardly larger than a coyote! Perhaps they were part coyote? Lane loved a good mystery, and her curiosity was piqued. 

When the stranger drew within speaking distance, Lane spoke. "Hello. You've found the border of Duskfire Glacier. I'm Lane, one of the co-alphas. What brings you here?" The newcomer would find that Lane smelled strongly of comfrey, which the medic had been using in mass quantities to treat Wintersbane's full-body burns. A discerning eye would also notice the bags under Lane's eyes, a clear sign of her ongoing sleep deprivation. For any detective who wished to solve the mystery of Lane Vitale, the clues were there for the taking.
32 Posts
Ooc —
1... 2... 3... 4... The steady count of each beat that thrummed deep in the woman's chest. Before the fifth thump, the organ jumped and then went silent.

She was no longer alone.

Askari's optics darted upward, frantically searching the vicinity.

Soon, each hazel hue settled upon the stranger who had addressed her.

The beats now quickened, toppling over one another in count. 

As evident as the woman's words, it was now known that she had trespassed on a pack's territory. Would a form of violence ensue from this? Askari had never truly experienced such a thing, but she was aware that some groups weren't as friendly to newcomers.

She who called herself Lane approached. Each step forward equaled each step the puny red one took backward.

I-... I wasn't aware this land belonged to a pack. Please, you must believe that no ill intent was meant here... 

The first instinct: to plead for mercy.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Despite Lane's cheerful, welcoming expression, the newcomer's entire demeanor changed the moment she caught sight of Lane. Was Lane really that terrifying, standing there smiling with her tail wagging? The alpha's face fell, and she took a few steps forward in concern. "Hey, easy there, I don't mean any harm.."

Approaching the stranger seemed to be the wrong move-- the red pixie scrambled backwards, clearly terrified. 

"I know, I believe you," Lane responded reassuringly to the pleading, trying her best to look kind and sympathetic despite a growing urge to chuckle. She still couldn't believe that someone out there actually thought that she was scary. "No one said you did anything wrong. I was just trying to.. uh, welcome you." Lane actually did let out a bit of a laugh with that. She was really fucking this up, wasn't she? Some leader she was.
32 Posts
Ooc —
This woman's mannerism was different from what Askari was expecting. 

A "warm welcome"? Unheard of.

Her steps eventually ceased. Now the red one stood still; tense and wary. 

Don't think me rude for my honesty, but you don't much exhibit the behavior of any Alpha I would expect. From tales I've heard, most aren't as welcoming to strangers... 

Two ears now lay flat, though the tail emerged from between the legs. This interaction was still uncertain, but it felt right to be a bit more at ease.

You offered your name. It is only fair I offer mine. I am Askari.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Just as Lane's self-depreciating thought surfaced, the diminutive woman piped up to call Lane out on her un-alpha-like behavior, leaving Lane to wonder if the woman could read her mind. 

Lane's brows flew up in surprise. She really hadn't expected to hear such a judgmental comment come tumbling out of someone who was also actively cowering in fear. Wry humor tugged at the corner of her mouth.

The girl visibly relaxed, so at least Lane was doing something right. 

"Askari," Lane repeated slowly. "You know, I've only been alpha for a few weeks, so maybe I'm still growing into my antisocial personality." Lane laughed. "Lucky you."  

"..I'd love to hear more about the alphas in these tales you mention," Lane continued, "..I do want to make sure I'm doing it right, after all." She forced her expression into one of earnestness, all the while fighting the continued urge to smile in amusement. 

Th alpha lowered her rump to the ground, signaling that she was ready to listen. Lane may as well hear what kinds of tales the loners out there were spinning about the likes of her.
32 Posts
Ooc —
Tell me more of these tales. 

This is what Lane wanted and Askari hadn't much choice other than to oblige. 

Carefully, the little red canine fell over her own rump, tail swishing a few times against the ground. Having a sit-down conversation with an Alpha wasn't exactly how she expected to start her day. Then again, there was a first time for everything.

Now, where to begin...

Well... most aren't as enthusiastic when a newcomer treads within the waters they guard. An alpha's duty is protect both their land and their people. Each time a stranger wanders near, they must be warned as to whom the territory belongs. In some tales, he or she who leads acts with aggression, immediately warding off those who aren't welcome. In others, they are more stern and cautious. Sure, they may strike conversation, but they certainly don't wag their tales and chip their tunes like someone of youth. How would an outsider take them seriously? They would not see a threat and a warning... only a weakness.

There was much content as she spoke. Clearly, she knew what she was saying. Maybe she was calling this particular alpha out, but it was meant to be beneficial in some way. Lane was new to her task. Askari understood this quite well. Never before had she been an alpha herself, but it was like a sixth sense.

You say you are still growing into the ways of leadership. This is normal. Most of it is just following instinct.. while the rest is holding a close bond with those of your pack. An alpha is nothing without those whom follow. Without them, there really is no pack at all. Do you have a close relationship with your pack mates, Lane?

The more she spoke, the less tense she became. Now with the question hanging over head, curiosity took over, crown tilting a bit to the side in wonder.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Veteran's heart leapt into his throat when he saw his mother in the distance, having what looked like a casual sit-down with a complete stranger. Again. Spirits, how many times was he going to have to explain to her how dangerous these outsiders could be?

Veteran trotted to his mother's side, looking alert with his hackles raised. He might have been frightening if he hadn't been a fourth-month-old puppy; as it was, he stood at about chest-height to the stranger. His glare was more cute than intimidating.

What had he stumbled onto, here? Was this pipsqueak stranger giving a lecture to his mom, the alpha? Didn't she have an ounce of respect? A puppyish growl rumbled in the child's throat.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane listened in bemusement as the little redhead began to set her straight. My, my, Askari had quite the opinion of her already, didn't she? Lane endured the dressing-down with patience, plastering on the eager expression that she used most often with her own children, when they were droning on and on about some thing or another. 

Speaking of which, here was Veteran! The boy was all hackles and growls, nevertheless looking far more adorable than threatening. His mother nuzzled into him with a laugh. "You probably think my son makes a better alpha than me, hmm?" She questioned Askari, still chuckling at the irony. 

Now, to answer the pixie's question. 

"Are we close? I would say so. I'm a founding member and a mother to children that carry the Duskfire surname." Lane swiped her tongue over her boy's head proudly. "I care for my packmates when they are sick or wounded, nursing them back to health. They chose me to lead them because of our closeness." Lane inhaled deeply, then sighed out the breath. "You may find my co-alpha more to your liking. Issorartuyok Tatkret is a newer addition to the pack, but he makes up for what I lack in.. traditional leadership qualities." Lane suppressed a smirk. "We like to think that we balance each other out as co-leaders." 

"But tell me," Lane urged, "Why can't there be some middle ground in between threatening and weak? You make it sound like I have to pick one or the other. What if you had been from an allied pack, carrying a message? What if you intended to bring a warning of some impending disaster? What if you were a talented loner, looking to join my pack? What if you were any of these things, and I had chosen to run you off instead of welcome you to my border? Would that make me a stronger leader, to have chased away a potential asset?" 

Lane's tail swished definitively, perhaps betraying a hint of her inner agitation. She spoke these words not only for Askari's benefit, but for Veteran's as well. He was just a guilty as Askari of lecturing her, particularly after long days spent on his guardian training with Issorartuyok. Lane would soon learn that when you were a leader, everyone was a critic.
32 Posts
Ooc —
The approach of the child didn't strike much surprise. Frankly, it was an interesting sight to behold. So young and already so bold.

Upon the suggestion Lane offered, Askari wished to answer only with a small laugh, but would not. He makes none better, nor none less. You are a fine one, I'd say. As evident by your words, you care for your people and wish to see them safe and successful in the world.

Words pausing for a brief moment, the red wolf's attention flickered over the child a second time. He would not grow any quicker, but he certainly wanted to. A young man prepared to soon defend his borders and his family. It was admirable and it showed in her dim gaze.

Chuffing lightly, she continued. There is a middle ground between both. Strength by means of heart. You see... I only said that there are some who chose to threaten and some who are a bit more tame. Those who show off aggression are using their physicality in the place of words... But- there are far fewer who are as composed in a manner such as you. You lead because of your people, not because you desire authority. I may have judged you a bit harshly upon first seeing you. For that, you have my sincerest apologies.

Swiping a small tongue across her dry lips, Askari gave some form of smile, dipping her head to accompany that apology.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Veteran huffed in annoyance at his mother's demonstration of affection. This was serious business, not cuddle time!

He could hear the rebuke in his mother's words, and he shifted his gaze to moodily stare out over the moraine. His mother was trying to say that not everything on the outside of their territory was bad, but he didn't see anything wrong with a healthy dose of suspicion. His mom thought that strangers may be able to offer some kind of help to Duskfire Glacier, but they were already fine!  They were already the best pack on earth-- they didn't help from random people. 

Veteran's attention snapped back to the conversation when the stranger offered an apology. It sort of seemed like she was trying to butter Mom up, but at least she was being respectful now. 

"What business do you have with Duskfire Glacier?" Veteran asked directly, practicing the lines he had been taught. There was a formula: a specific set of questions and answers that guardians and strangers exchanged on the border. His mom was getting it all wrong; thank goodness she had Veteran to show her what to do.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane dismissed the apology with a shake of her head. "It's fine. You're far from the only one guilty of snap judgements." Lane often found herself walking back her own judgements of others. "..But few are open-minded enough to change their initial opinion, and fewer still are humble enough to admit a mistake." She nudged Veteran pointedly on the shoulder. 

The boy chose that moment to spit out his rather forthright question. Lane nodded in approval. "Thanks, kiddo. I completely forgot to ask." She turned to Askari and addressed her next. "Veteran likes me to do things by the book. So what brings you to us?" Her tail waived cheerily, which would likely earn Veteran's disapproval.
32 Posts
Ooc —
Very much so by the book, it seems. Though, there's nothing wrong with that. You just have to know by which book to follow. Askari mused politely giving the young man a nod of acknowledgement. Must have had a decent instructor.

With a small wave of her own tail, though not really out of excitement, the red woman frowned a bit. There wasn't much to her truth of being here. Hopefully it wouldn't disappoint the pair.

To answer the question you both ask, I haven't much intention here, nor anywhere. It has only been since recent that certain ties were clipped and I was free to roam the world as I please. Since then, I have done just that, with no true goal in mind.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Even though Mom was going along now, something about her attitude made the boy frown. It was like she wasn't taking this seriously! Ugh, she bugged him so much sometimes!

Veteran tilted his head as Askari made the comment about how he'd had a good instructor. "Issorartuyok is my mentor." No way was Mom getting credit for that one. 

Veteran wrinkled his nose as the stranger finished her explanation. She was being pretty vague. He didn't like it. What if she was all on her own because she was dangerous, like Makatza? Makatza was out there by herself somewhere, wandering the world just like Askari. Who's to say Askari wasn't just as bad as her

He communicated his doubts with a rumbling huff.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane silenced her grumbling child with a quick nip to his nape. She understood why a wanderer like Askari might choose to be vague, even if her son did not. She had come to understand that all the Duskfire wolves has pieces of their past that they wished to leave behind. 

"Forgive him," she apologized for her child. "He's imagined danger around every corner since--" Lane hesitated, casting her gaze down to Veteran's prominent facial scars. Veteran had been constantly vigilant since Makatza had dealt him those scars. "--since he was born," Lane caught herself with a bit of a falter, tearing her eyes away from the boy's scars. 

With a deep inhale, she willed the smile back onto her features. "You'll have to stay then," she said decidedly, "At least for a little while. I need help crafting my leader persona, and you seem like you're the wolf for the job. Lend me your wisdom, Askari, and you'll have a safe place to lay your head as long as you like." Her pitch delivered, Lane waited hopefully.
32 Posts
Ooc —
Glancing from the child to Lane, Askari gave a simple, gentle shake of her head.

Nothing to forgive. The child speaks his mind. It will surely help him become as great, if not a better leader than his mother, one day.

It was a peculiar thought, really. Having a family. To be able to have someone present to teach and guide. Sure, she had parents, but not all were the same.

Pulled from her thought, the idea to join their people was brought up. Another to consider.

I've never truly imagined myself walking at the heel of a pack. Though, I suppose a temporary stay wouldn't hurt. If at a later time I grow comfortable, with your blessing, I may choose to stay. Do understand, that I make no promises now... but, in the meantime, I will treat your pack as my own and assist wherever I can. That's what a family does, right?

This was a big step, but one Askari found herself, as strange as it was, willful to commit to. Hopefully the best would come of it.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
The newcomer-- Askari, his mom called her-- mentioned that Veteran may become a better leader than his mother someday, which pleased him. Maybe Askari wasn't so bad. Still, he tried not to look too placated. He was not a guardian that could be wooed into complacency by compliments.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane nodded. "That's what this family does." She couldn't speak for all families, of course. She looked down at Veteran, who seemed a little less hostile already. Perhaps that little comment about him becoming great had done the trick. 

Lane tossed her head over her shoulder, indicating that Askari should walk with her. Lane would guide her into the packlands and show her some of the important spots, like rendezvous points and caches. Lane would guide her through the cave system inside the Greyfall Caverns, making sure that Askari felt confident with finding her way between each of Duskfire Glacier's subterritories before she was left to her own devices. 

"You know, I never pictured myself as a pack wolf either," Lane commented as they walked, laughing at the irony. She wasn't sure that she wanted to be in a pack at all, so of course she would somehow come to find herself leading one. "It wasn't how I was raised." She cut her eyes in Askari's direction, wondering if the new recruit had grown up with a similar experience.

The pair would continue their conversation as they walked. Lane would point out the important landmarks and locations around the Glacier as well as provide Askari with a quick synopsis of the Duskfire Glacier wolves.