they put a gun above it and a narrow behold
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue

The spectral waif stood at the bluff where dune parted and wispy threads of sand fell down the descent. The air around her cold. Her head held high in the deadening dusk. Around her the settling sound of darkness.

At her feet stood the whittled form of a whale's pelvis - the ilium flatsided and the length of the bone down to the stunted femur still intact. The creature long since gone -- seemingly all that remained of the jurassic leviathan was the puny pelvic bone. The ivory worn, sprouts of barnacle clouding the marrow.

She sat over it and studied in the manner of a cat. Overhead the wind heralding the onset of a cold and miserable night.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
The Tawny Loðbrók walked along the shoreline, towards home. She had been out and about on a herbal collecting mission. She had not gotten much, just a few wispy dandelions and a few broken jopi roots. Fall was fully upon them, she had collected some branches and some acorns for the children to play with as well. Especially, if winter was as bad as she felt it would be, they would be inside the den a lot, so they would need something to do.

She tilted her head as she walked and as a star blinked the waning light hit upon some ivory colored something in the distance. Breaking into a small lope, she trotted towards the white gleaming things. Upon further inspection as she got closer it was a whale, and it was colossal. She was too busy taking in the sheer size of the creature, to notice the living one lurking near.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
Her studious examination of the bone was interrupted as a scent pungently perpetuated the clear air. She looked upwards and in the darkness ascertained the form of a female making its way towards the colossus.

More curious than the approach of a stranger was the unmistakable scent of gravelroot -- Caiaphas' nose twitched in displeasure as the astringent scent permeated the air with sharp clarity. So bitter her nose curdled in displeasure. She rose and walked affirmatively towards the female - her expression was neutral and her posture assured yet without aggressive ambition.

"You do well to harvest that in the fall. It is most potent then. Is one of the Stavanger wolves sick?" She recognized also Ragnar's scent - though somewhat faded - and the wolf smelled unmistakably of salt.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was surprised, but she did not jump when a voice rose from the shadows to speak with her. So engrossed in her study of the giant sea born creature, she had not noticed the other there standing, but she did now.

Thistle was surprised at the other's little bit of knowledge, but it was a welcome surprise. No No one is sick. I am merely making sure that I have enough in case we do have sickness this winter. I am Thistle Cloud Loðbrók. You are?
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
She remained quiet while the female spoke, her keen nose pressed against the wind. Overhead the mire of stars radiant and illuminating. Thistle Cloud's surprise was met with a wry, almost knowing smile.

"Save also ginger root and slippery elm." It was strange, Caiaphas being this.. generous with her knowledge. She gave the agouti female a brief glance, puzzled by the heavy male scent on her fur -- the very same potency as Nerian's. Unsure, she spoke again. "I am Caiaphas. I know of your pack through your leader, who I spoke to about a month ago. How does the Bay fare?" While she seemed polite, her voice was slippery -- and the expression in her feral eyes seemed almost conniving.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle nodded her head Yes I have ginger root, and some raspberries among some other things. I have a nursing mother over the winter, so I also have some Blue vervain. Though I am loathe to use the Vervain for her unless I absolutely have too. She grew quiet then and tilted her head as the other spoke.

Well met Caiaphas. The bay is well. Thistle answered her inquiry, but she was lightly put off by the woman's glittering eyes and slippery words. She wasn't sure if she should trust this female worth a lick. She did however, believe in politeness and manners, so she would not be overtly rude.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
sorry for the wait!

It occurred to Caiaphas, admittedly belatedly, that this interaction with the female was going almost too pleasantly. As if to accentuate her displeasure with such an observation her dark muzzle darkened further and pulled down in a grissom scowl.

She then, as the female spoke, slithered forth in the manner of some devious serpent, her pink tongue darting hungrily across her thin lips and her feral yellow eyes placed solely upon Thistle Cloud. "And how is your mate?" She was now practically within kiss or kill distance to the female -- and she hoped the question would catch Thistle Cloud off guard. While she couldn't be completely assured that she knew exactly who the wolf's mate was, judging by the heaviness of his scent on her pelt, she could at least surmise they were somewhat intimate.

"You should give him some Yew, or perhaps arrowhead... Or, if you are brave like me, you slip him some maleberry.. Staggerbrush. Do you know why it's named staggerbrush?" She offered a slimy smile. "I gave a friend some staggerbrush once." A lie, completely. "Don't you think he appreciated it?" An airy cackle escaped her lips and she reeled back and inspected her handiwork - hoping she had made the female very, very uncomfortable.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle stared at the female as she scowled. Surely, Thistle hadn't made her angry had she. She had been nothing but polite. So then if she had been polite what was the reasoning, behind such a dark look. Perhaps it was not enough information, well too bad. Thistle wasn't about to give out her packs stories and lessons and what have you to a stranger.

Thistle froze and then frowned herself. By the gods how did this woman know Ragnar, and honestly if he was being a jerk with other women. She was fairly certain she would murder the man. Not really, but he would get a piece of her mind. She was so tired of being treated so poorly. She however did not let any of this on and instead spoke soflty He is fine. Why do you ask?

Thistle stared at the female and her eyes narrowed. Obviously the woman had a few screws loose in the belfry there. Why on earth would i poison him? And if you poisoned a friend, must not have been much of a friend.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
"Oh, no reason. No reason, not at all." She answered airily with a sparse smile that did not reach her cold eyes. She looked at Thistle Cloud closely, rising to circle around the female with a lofty walk. Her head was carried stiffly and owlishly she rotated her skull as she circled in the manner of some bizarre marionette poorly orchestrated.

"That's the point -- isn't it?" She said with a cackle that was shortlived and full of self mirth. "When you need to get rid of... a cumbersome... burden, you see, it helps to have a certain knowledge on your side." The smile widened and briefly sharp little teeth were visible. Thistle Cloud was clearly on edge and Caiaphas did not miss the narrowing of her eyes in suspicion -- and most notably, she did not miss the pause in Thistle Cloud's eyes when Caiaphas inquired after her mate. "Oh, we're friends. Interpret that how you may." Another lie -- but Thistle Cloud didn't know that, did she?
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle's hackles rose of their own accord at the females hastly spoken words. The woman was clearly not all there, she was crazy. Now it came to Thistle to figure out how to get away from her, without inciting a fight, because that was a fight she did not wish to be in. She would fight hard of course and fight to kill, but she didn't like violence really.

The minute that the other said interpret it as you may, Thistle saw right through that bluff. She was bluffing and it irritated her and she stared at her. Not to say that there couldn't be something there at a later date, but for now there was nothing there. I agree that it helps to have knowledge of poisons, but not to get rid of a cumbersome burden, but perhaps an enemy? Thistle didn't really mean that, she was basically talking out her ass, but she wanted to stay on the other's good side, while figure out a way of escape with all her limbs, and no poisons.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
Caiaphas, like Thistle Cloud, shared an avoidance for physical violence. It was not because Caiaphas didn't enjoy the prospect, but rather because Caiaphas had too often been on the losing end and this was a most insufferable blight to Caiaphas' ego.

At this point, it was clear she had unnerved Thistle Cloud. This elicited another smug smile -- and she answered Thistle Cloud's question with a smooth and saccharine manner that seemed all too alarming. "Are they not the same thing?" She practically cooed, pulling closer though her body language carried no aggression. "Come on, Thistle Cloud.. have you never once been tempted by the idea?"

But she did not wait for an answer. Once spoken she turned on her heels and moved off down the coast, back towards the Nereides -- back towards the wolves who suffered her company much more gracefully.