Redtail Rise Beryllium
we don’t pick the ballroom,
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
All Welcome 
As the snows grew lighter, drawing into spring, and the sun began to make an appearance every so often, Lycabas started to pay more attention to the weather patterns in an effort to predict if he would have trouble seeing during the day or not. Though it was more pleasant for his eyes to move about at night, his first winter – and all its sunblocking days – had given him a taste of the earlier hours, and it was much less lonely during the day than it was at night.

Today, he found that his nighttime predictions had come true, leaving the area clouded and his eyes protected. He thought that for the next few days it might snow again, if only slightly, which gave him an opportunity to mingle with those who preferred the daytime.

He wound his way through the rise, nose to the ground in search of company.
Himself · Teacher
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
“I will be big,” Avicus’s voice sounded in her memory, “very big.”

With this in mind, Masquerade did not stray far from the Wealda’s whelping den. She made only one exception and that was hunting. The quest for meat was what led her away during the cool winter night. She wanted to make sure her dam woke to a hot, fresh breakfast.

Rather than prey, she found herself crossing paths with a wolf she recognized only by smell. Masque spotted him in the distance and paused, tensing a little. He was large and scruffy, reminding her of Augur, though there was a youthfulness to his features, confirmed by his scent. He was gigantic compared to the other yearlings, save perhaps for Relic.

Perhaps he would serve well as a hunting companion then. Masquerade didn’t move, though she woofed to grab his attention, her breath streaming from her muzzle in a cloud of vapor.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Lycabas turned at the sound, his nose and ears pressed forward inquisitively as he spotted the slate-and-sterling adolescent with her distinguished red mask. It was difficult to look anywhere except her face; the boy had never seen such a marking.

Don’t just stand there and gawk. Wag your tail or something.

His tail wagged slowly against his hocks, venturing closer. Hi, he greeted her a little hesitantly. Up close, she would have looked somewhat unassuming if not for her “bloodstained” countenance and sharp, liquid amber eyes. I’m Lycabas.

She looks to be about the same age as me… and Lilia.

Are you Lilia’s sister?
Himself · Teacher
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She caught his attention, prompting him to turn and look at her a moment. Masquerade returned his gaze, tail twitching as she waited for some cue that she should come closer. At his greeting, she finally began padding toward him. He moved too, so that they met somewhere in the middle.

Hi, she echoed, prepared to offer her own name when he asked if she was related to Lilia. No, she said with a blink, wondering what made him think that. Redd is my sister. Relic is my brother. I’m Masquerade.

With introductions out of the way, she didn’t dwell on it. Her mind returned to Avicus and her unborn siblings instead. They needed fed.

I’m hunting for my mother. She’s going to give birth soon, Masque told Lycabas. Will you join me?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Sister, Redd. Brother, Relic. This is Masquerade.

Lycabas made a mental note, not just of the names, but of the fact that not all the younger wolves in this pack were related.

It makes sense, he supposed. I’m a young wolf here who also isn’t their kin by blood. I assumed this situation wasn’t common… it might not be as rare as I thought.

The redmasked wolf asked him on a hunt then. Internally, the boy cringed. He hesitated before landing on a nod, as he thought he should respond, but his shoulders shrugged in the next instant. Sure, but I’m not very good yet.

Shouldn’t put on a front here.

Got any tips? Lycabas asked, a little hopefully. He has a hard time carrying his sheer size lightly enough to make him a good stalker, but he did have the explosive power to catch just about anything if he was close enough. That being said, it would become almost immediately apparent to any skilled hunter that his methods relied pretty much entirely on pure luck.
Himself · Teacher
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade didn’t particularly notice the hesitation. He nodded, then verbally agreed, before dropping a disclaimer. She blinked at the admission, then offered a small smile.

We all have room to learn, she said. I’ll take point and give you feedback as we go, Masque said in the next breath, motioning for Lycabas to follow her.

It was late, with limited visibility even with fairly good night vision. And since it was just the two of them—one fairly inexperienced—Masque knew they should target something smaller. She wracked her brain as she loped upslope.

A couple weeks ago, we hunted pigs, she said to Lycabas as they walked along, Lilia, Ancelin and me. There’s a herd that way, she went on, pointing northward even as she course-corrected slightly in that direction. I think they sleep at night. Perhaps we could sneak up on the herd and snatch a piglet.

Her golden eyes bored into his face, wondering if Lycabas was up for such a task. It wouldn’t be without its challenges, though Masquerade was confident enough that they could at least give it a try. Avicus deserved hot bacon for breakfast.

With that determination made, she turned and began trotting north, with or without her compatriot.