Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Private 
Masquerade was terribly homesick by now. They did their best to hide it, though an observant eye would notice the spring in their step now that the Redtails were finally homeward bound. Actually, it was more of a bounce, due to the mild sprain in their right foreleg.

Today, the travelers camped beside a river by the coast. Masquerade hated the stink in the air here. Even the water tasted terrible. They ranged away from the current rendezvous point, moving inland in search of a mouthful of water that didn’t taste poisoned. They also needed a few moments to step away from the hubbub of the nomadic group.

After they satisfied their thirst, they hopped back to join the others and specifically sought out their mother. The Wealda was in season and it had caused an interesting ripple effect through the whole pack. Masquerade scrunged as they studied the change in @Avicus’s scent, following it in the hopes of meeting with her. They understood what this meant on a basic, instinctual level but they had many questions for their mother.

Dated for the 21st, per their travel itinerary. :)
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
unlike perhaps some others, Avicus likes the sea. her time with Sapphique had been of respite, recovering from the grievous wounds dealt her by moonwoman, and of collaboration with strong, wise women. 

that her heart had been hardened against them more recently did not sour her memories.

so she wades in the surf, hunts for shellfish, and relentlessly teases her dear @Prophet, giving in only when it suits her. she's just returning from a feverish few moments with him now, his musk clinging stubbornly to her pelt as she trails the river.

Avicus is not alone for long. she turns to see her long-tailed daughter also nearby, and seemingly on her path.

with a croon, she steps forward and gives Masquerade a brusque but affectionate lick upon her cheek and forehead, taking in the girl's own scent as she does so. not much of a pup anymore, but a full-fledged warrior-hunter—and she's proven herself so.

you foughh' well, she praises, pulling back and locking eyes with Masquerade.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
There was nothing to do but bow their head and wag their tail when Avicus approached with praise. Well, the youth also placed a few nibbles on the Wealda’s chin, the upward press of their ruddy muzzle pushing her snout higher. It felt appropriate.

After exchanging their greetings, Masquerade sniffed the air near their mother and questioned, What does this mean?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
of course Masquerade notices the scent; everyone does. who could miss it? 

puphh, Avicus answers plainly. more warriorhh for our pack.

that's all it's ever been, to her. she loves her children fiercely—hadn't, at first, but had evolved well—but their existence here hadn't been borne of deep desire or passion.

just instinct—and her own, selfish wish fulfillment.

one day you will have 'em, she adds. you an' Redd. she gives her near-yearling daughter a once-over, admiring how much she's grown.

why would either of them consider otherwise? unless they share their uncle's capacity for deeper thought on natural matters—which, she supposes, could be possible.
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Avicus confirmed the innate knowledge passed down through generations. Masquerade nodded, their heart suddenly beating faster. Those pups wouldn’t just be the Wealda’s offspring and future warriors. They would be Masque’s younger siblings.

They opened their mouth to ask Avicus how they might help when their mother indicated they would one day bear young. Masque’s stomach rolled. They immediately wanted to protest, insist they didn’t want that. Yet their tongue pressed up against the backs of interlocked teeth. They didn’t want to disappoint the Wealda, nor refute her.

I want to help, Masque said, staying focused on the most imminent litter. There was a lot to learn, though, I feed and look after the younger pups. I want to do that with them. I want to do more.

Would Avicus let them?

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
Avicus nods at Masque's offer, shifting her weight slightly. it both warms and perplexes her. the former is obvious; her children have been a great help to her and so, why not in this venture as well?

but she wonders what she would have been, had she witnessed her mother's second birth.

she may well have devoured the pair without a second thought, to secure her place atop the throne.

there's a lot of Ashlar in this one, despite the lack of blood ties. a faint, half-smile graces her muzzle at the thought of the healer, and she turns to nose at her still-thin flank, glancing sidelong at Masquerade.

how many, you 'hhink?

perhaps even four, this spring.
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade understood the process in an academic sort of way, though they knew it would be different, experiencing it. What would it be like, watching their mother couple with a man (or men); then become pregnant; and eventually labor and deliver a litter? They wanted to be part of it all.

Avicus seemed to welcome it, going by her half-smile and friendly question. Masque wasn’t sure how to answer and blinked thoughtfully before deciding they ought to just admit the truth, at least obliquely.

How many is usual? they wondered.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she'd thought perhaps Masque had some kind of foresight. apparently not. the question takes her aback, and she thinks a quick moment, then shrugs, eyes narrowed a bit.

dunno, Avicus admits. me an' my broh'her, 'hhwo. you an' Relic an' Reddh, 'hhree. maybe aroundh 'hhat.

that's her sample size. and, of course, the two that her mother had brought into the world, the spring after her birth. but that fit right in.

maybe more? maybe less?

she glances back to her ribs again, wondering just how many her body could take.
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
There was a saying: “the more, the merrier.” Masque was excited to welcome younger siblings, though they considered this subject from a pragmatic angle. Avicus would have to carry those pups, then feed them from her own body before and after they were born. There was also the matter of delivering them, a thought which Masque found gruesomely fascinating. Would the Wealda allow them to bear witness?

I will hunt for you, Masque said, always eager to feed their compatriots but never so badly. What else will you need?

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
another shrug, and a humorless chuckle. she admires how Masque has stepped in—and sees Ashlar in her helpfulness.

foodh, mmhm, Avicus replies, nodding. foodh make 'em 'hhrong. 

she sighs and settles upon her haunches, regarding her bloody-masked daughter with a proud stare. she'd grown well, albeit lanky. she thinks Prophet is to commend; the colors match up.

but she'd never know.

how're you? she asks idly, cocking her head.
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Avicus confirmed that food would be welcomed to sustain the pups, though she didn’t answer the subsequent question. She posed one of her own. Masque blinked, head tilting as they pondered.

Eager, they huffed with a laugh, gently nudging the topic back to whelping. How long until they are born?

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
eager, indeed. Avicus lets a breath out her nostrils, and answers, i dunno. a couple moonhh?

it didn't take long. the time pregnant with her first litter had flown by.

her next breath comes gentle through pursed lips.

i will be big, she remarks, cocking her head again toward her flanks. very big. and once she's too big, pups will come. Masque will know then.
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masque filed away this information with a slow nod of their head, thinking of the gravid game they had witnessed in this first year of their life. They tried to picture Avicus growing as round as a pregnant squirrel they’d seen just the other day. Their eyes widened.

Although she had fielded them patiently so far, Masque got the sense Avicus’s patience for this conversation was thinning. Perhaps it was just the scent which accompanied her, implying a fiery impatience. It told Masque that their mother had better things to do than stand around chatting about her far-offspring.

That odor also told them their mother would be busy, preoccupied with the tasks of the season, so they offered, I can hunt for you now.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
go hunhh', Avicus replies, nodding toward a forest path that meandered away from their clearing. i'll come wi' you.

she's not yet immobile with pups.

if Masquerade goes, she'll follow, tongue swiping over her jowls. she is hungry, though not so much with the desire that will mark her most pregnant days.

fade?
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Avicus insisted they hunt with her. Masque’s eyebrows raise in surprised delight. They dipped their head and waved their tail, eagerly leading the way when the Wealda pointed them in the direction of a wooded path.

It wasn’t often that Masquerade spent time alone with their mother. They were honored that she would choose to accompany them now, when there were so many other things she could be doing, her suitors included. They would make sure not to squander this valuable opportunity.

And, done! :)