Greatwater Lake But my knees are bruised, from kneelin' to you
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
Private 
It did not take long to find a suitable den.

Khaba had led the way all the while, pausing only when he knew he'd found the right place for @Nazli. Enclosed, secure, and close enough to the lake that he could hear her call should she need him.

This should suffice... He offered, inviting her to explore it for herself.

It was a small space, so he would not fit. But he did not intend to sleep by her side. He considered it an invasion of her privacy—something he would not stoop to.

I will find a space suitable nearby for myself... dig it, if I must. He would not allow himself to be too far.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Muat-riya
Hemet

Priestess of Nwt

590 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
Nazli was all mixed up. She had a sense of ennui about the entire ordeal, and a great amount of fear, but mostly her heart hurt with how badly she missed the palace already. She found this place beautiful in its own ways: the lake was the largest standing water she had ever seen! And it went on for miles, so far that she could not see across it! And there was mist among the trees, or rippled across the water; and tall birds, and the sharp smell of fish — it was life, and it was everywhere!
And the man, Khaba, had found her a place to hide. It was small enough for her to crawl inside and wide enough after, to turn around and be cozy; she could make it better over time, depending on how long they stayed. How long would they stay? Khaba did not give any clues. He spoke with more certainty of permanence.
I could help? She offered, peeking out from the den mouth with her muddy, blue-gray snout. Her expression was raw and tired, but she could not fathom letting him do all the work, especially given her training.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
There was an offer to help, but Khaba shook his head roughly. He would not allow it.

You are a servant no longer, Nazli. This place is different from the palace. There are not servants to do things for us — we do them for ourselves. But in this case, Khaba intended to do more to provide for her.

It is a simple, but free way of living. As long as you respect the chain of natural hierarchy, things will be easy. Was it so difficult to explain? All knew the natural way, surely. Or maybe they did not. But at least Nazli had someone to teach her; to guide her. He would not let her stray the wrong path.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Muat-riya
Hemet

Priestess of Nwt

590 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
Alright, she acceeded control, for now.
It was not her place to question him - at least before, that was how she had to be. Now? Now he was saying there was another way. Nazli knew there were different cultures and different people everywhere, but never had she been shown a purity in living, like this. Where everything was up to one's own whims; no one to order her to perform tasks, no rooms to clean, halls to sweep, or food to prepare. No beds to warm or men to please.
Her face felt warm at that thought; she burrowed back within the den, hiding in the cool dark of it, as if that might ease the feeling.
The only thing that kept her from sleep, now:
Your friend does not like me.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
While she familiarized herself with the space, Khaba intended to wait nearby; an assurance to himself that she would be okay by herself for a bit of time.

Burrowing, settling; but she did not rest yet. Instead, she spoke more of Zharille.

She will learn to get used to you. He answered gruffly, saying it as if she really had no choice in the matter. 

But perhaps further explanation would help Nazli be reassured. She is expecting children, hence the disliking. It is not just you... Well, mostly. We have history, her and I. I can imagine some of the pups she carries are my own. Another reason to keep him tied here.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Muat-riya
Hemet

Priestess of Nwt

590 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
Khaba gave her information that surprised her, and she sucked in a gasp! The jodai a father? Perhaps it was not unheard of for a mazoi, but one of such respect within Akashingo — but they were not Akashingo anymore, she had to tell herself.
Again came that deep flooding grief, that weight.
I understand, she answered softly.
I will keep out of her way, then. And when I am able, I will do everything to make her like me. She could hunt! The warriors of Mereo had taught her that much; she would find a way to appease this wild woman and keep herself safe, and keep the peace intact.
We will see how long that lasts.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
Reaching briefly, he touched his large nose to her shoulder. Fret not, Nazli. She will not turn you away from here. Not so long as I remain.

I will not let her.

Once you two have become known to each other, you may be able to help her. I will often be patrolling or hunting to fill her belly, so I will not be around to watch over her. But then, a worry struck him. But do not mistake yourself as servant in her presence. She is the dominant female, but she can be friend to you, and you to her. Just give it time.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Muat-riya
Hemet

Priestess of Nwt

590 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
Nazli startled when she felt the touch, and calmed after that. She looked at the dirt mostly, and as Khaba spoke her eye trailed up to his face. She let a thin smile drift across her features.
All he did was kindness. These were things that she had never expected from a man who came so silently to the mesa; she was glad to have met him, and to have a friend. Still, she was nervous beyond measure; besides being liked by the wild woman, Nazli could not help but think of Makono, and Senmut, and Gucci, and even her brother Zakariya.
So many left behind! The guilt would gnaw at her and prevent sleep.
I will rest here, she promised, and slowly lowered her head to rest upon the earth again. He could go, knowing she would be nesting here in this place, to think and to sleep should sleep come.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
I will rest here.

She wanted to be alone now, no doubt. The day unfolded in a strange way for both of them. But they were at peace here. She could see this. Or so he hoped.

Knowing that she would be alright, he rose to depart. 

By the time she woke, he would returned. With a meal, no doubt, for by then she would find hunger in her belly. And as promised, he would provide. 

But for now, she could sleep soundly without his looming presence.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.