Ankyra Sound down below, the tides embrace us there
5 Posts
Ooc — Riven
blah, such fail on my part. idk what to do with min, but let's roll with the punches. @caiaphas maybe, or any of her daughters?

Minthe had been true to her word, though she was a mere wraith in the Sound— she came to her daughters and ward, shared words and guidance beneath moonlit night— but she avoided those that were other. To watch the culture of Ankyra without needless posturing, if that might have been a risk. Of their war, she would have nothing to do with; such politics were the Sounds' own, unsanctioned by Themiscrya, without the blessing of a High Priestess. Although Aktaie had insisted Caiaphas had been an apt student, Minthe was doubtful the queen could commune with the Sea and hear Her Will.

It did not matter. All women could be taught; and the elder had come to observe, first, and guide after gauging skill.

With the night a dark expanse above, a tapestry of stars and moonlight, Minthe stood in the ocean's shallows. A phosphorescent glow swirled in the curve of the Sound, growing brighter at her ankles. A mirror of the universe above; she felt her hackles rise in wonder and awe. With eyes closed, the woman lifted her head, a melodic prayer falling from her muzzle in the Sea's tongue, "Even if I feel the sun on my skin everyday, if I don't feel you, take me, Mother."
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
the browbeaten wretch, haunted by fitful sleep, felt compelled to visit the sounding shore's edge where oft the ethereal glow of the sea seemed to calm her fretful thoughts. she had not expected to see another visiting at such a peaceless hour, and with worry drawn across her hounded countenance the waif strode towards the shadowed being.

she had not seen minthe much, and the lack of familiarity caused her at first to suspect the wolf a vagrant -- it was not until she pulled closer and heard the lilting prayer did she realize it was a fellow ankyran. caiaphas watched her carefully, though she made no effort to speak -- for now she was content to listen to the growling deep and watch with wide eyes the wonder of the mother sea.
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
5 Posts
Ooc — Riven
I'm shamelessly stealing her prayer from Oya by Ibeyi

"Even if my teeth can catch the wind, catch the clouds, if I don't see you, take me, Mother," her lilting song continued, the prayer carried with wordless vocalizations between. When the finally died within her throat, the woman stood, feeling the wind against her body— losing herself in the sound of the Sea's tender caress against the shore. Tasting the salt of the air.

Ankyra was blessed. There could be no doubt of that.

She turned, perhaps preparing to retreat to the corners of the territory, but she was instead greeted by the silhouette of the Sound's queen. Minthe's posture relaxed, showing suitable respect and deference, waiting for whatever words or command the hybrid would speak. None were forthcoming, and after a moment, the waif turned and disappeared into the night.

Minthe's brow furrowed as she attempted to divine meaning from this, but the Sea would provide her with no answers. When it eventually become clear that Caiaphas' conviction had wavered, the elder would urge her daughters and their sister sirens to return with her to Themiscrya— whether they would or would not, it was their own choice. But the elder Nereides would doubt her earlier thought that Ankyra was their home; it was blessed, but perhaps the Sea had meant it only as a temporary lesson and gift.