Stone Circle I will show you, child
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Private 

Valette learned from Easy that he wanted to know more about hunting Bison. They were really difficult to hunt so she wouldn't actually try and hunt a bison together with Easy but she could tell her more about these creatures. And of course, she would do that when they would be able to see the creatures. Luckily for Easy, Valette made sure to know where they would be in the territory.

She walked around their borders to the part of their territory where there were plains. Their border ran halfway though the plains so sometimes that meant the bison were on or just outside their border. Today they were over the border. "Okay, so bison, there they are. What do you know about them so far?," she asked Easy. "Steph was hurt very badly by them so do watch out." Valette shuddered when she thought back on that moment.
you've still got a little lightning in you
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy followed obediently behind her aunt, excited to get down to business. Daddy had told her a little about the bison, and Dawn had told her about the time she'd ridden a deer. Putting the two together, of course, Easy imagined riding a bison through the plains - but when she actually saw them, that image flickered out of being. They were huge. More like mountains than mammals!

"They're gigantic!" Easy exclaimed, keeping her voice just low enough not to carry to the beasts. Valette's warning about what had happened to Steph did not go unheeded, after all. "They've got horns - Daddy says things with horns will gore you if you give them the chance. And they're big, with lots of fur. Can you even bite through that?"

It didn't seem possible to hunt bison. Not from her point of view. Her admiration for Valette grew.
ooh-oo child, things are gonna get easier
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded when Easy was surprised how big they were. She nodded once more to confirm what Easy said was right. "This herd lives out on the open they hare therefor bigger than forest bison. They are, like you said, very dangerous. Not only their horns and hard heads are something to watch out for. They have a powerful kick and will protect one another," she spoke.

"Correct. Their skin is very tough, the only place to bite is the throat and belly," she confirmed. "Though getting close to that part of the bison is very difficult. They aren't like deer. So when threatened they form a defensive circle with their horns out on display and their young in the middle. It is extremely hard to break through," she explained. "So the most important thing when hunting bison is to create chaos and make sure they don't form the defensive circle." Valette had tried to break up their circle once, however, it had been very reckless.
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy watched the bison while Valette spoke, frowning when she got to the bit about biting them on the belly or throat. Although they were big animals, they were low to the ground. It would be difficult to get to the places Valette mentioned - she supposed there was a reason why they were so difficult to hunt.

"Maybe you can injure them by going for their butts," she suggested. "Daddy says that's right where the intestines end, so if you rip it up enough they slow down real quick."

But, looking at those powerful hind legs, the girl knew it wouldn't be as easy as all that.

"I'm pretty good at chaos," she offered half-heartedly, turning a cheery grin at Valette. "But they're awfully big. Are they very fast, too?"
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette quirked up her lips when listening to Easy. She had a sound mind when it came to hunting but for Valette, that tactic seemed far too dangerous. "Well, that is a solid way to go when they are already down on the ground when they can't kick," she spoke with a nod. "Good observation." Valette was impressed. She had not tried that before. But then they would first need to get the bison on the ground.

"They aren't so fast as deer, but that also means they don't tire out so quickly as deer. Sometimes a hunt can take hours. It is a battle of stamina. The pack vs the bison," she spoke. "It is always very exciting when it looks like we are winning. Though, since they are so strong even a sick one can win it from the pack. Of course, depending on how sick they are. Still, hunting a healthy bison is a death wish,' she spoke, which sounded a bit like a warning also.
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
She'd been feeling kind of silly about her suggestion, so she was glad when Valette ever-so-kindly pointed out that it did have merit, if the bison was already down. It didn't bring Easy any closer to knowing how to hunt them, but from the way Valette spoke, she wasn't sure it was even possible.

"It sounds really dangerous," she said slowly, surveying the impressive herd that Valette had taken her to see. It just didn't seem to be worth the effort to hunt bison when there were deer and other animals available, but Easy still found herself dreaming of conquering such a beast. "D'ya think you could send someone for me the next time you guys try it?" she asked with a fluttering of her lashes. "I can run real fast, and I'm almost bigger than my daddy. I can try to help you - and I'll listen to everything you say!" She put on her best puppy-dog eyes - something she was really getting too old for - and gazed imploringly at the older wolf. "Pretty please?"
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded. It was dangerous but it was worth it. There would be more than enough meat for the whole of the pack, for several days even. Everyone could fill their stomachs as full as they could and it was a glorious feeling after taking down such a beast. Valette also really liked their meat. Plus, their skin could be re-used and was really soft to lie down on.

"We could, but you would be running here and taking down a bison will take a few hours as well. You need to be well rested before going after a bison," Valette explained. "Why don't you stay with us for a week after your pack is settled? How does that sound? You can play with Steph and then we can pick the perfect time to hunt a bison with you present. Do know that we don't always succeed."
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
"Okay," Easy agreed, sure that her father would not mind this in the least. He would probably worry if Easy mentioned what they would be doing, but she would just not mention it. After all, her father must know how important it was to hone her hunting skills... it was for a good cause. "I'll head home tonight and be back real soon," she promised, tail wagging excitedly. "I just have to make sure Lavender can be Daddy's guide for a few days, and I want to bring something for Mom to eat so she knows how good I'm getting, and then I'll come right back here and we can take down a bison!"

She did a little dance, excited at the prospect.
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was surprised to hear that someone else needed to 'guide' Grayday. That probably meant that he had gone blind officially now. Poor Grayday. "Alright," Valette spoke with a nod. She didn't mind a little exchange for Easy. She was welcome to stay at their pack lands for a few days. She knew Morningside would offer the same to her and her pack members.

Valette chuckled at her enthusiasm. "Don't get too excited because most of the time we fail hunting them," Valette admitted. "But if we take one down then you get to bring home the pelt,' she promised.
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy nodded in acceptance. She'd failed many more hunts than she'd succeeded on, and she knew that Valette had to worry about the safety of her pack. Easy would try her best to help them bag a bison, but she knew it wasn't worth getting hurt over. Her eyes widened, though, at Valette's declaration.

"Really?" she gasped, eyes growing wide with admiration. Valette got cooler with every word she spoke, and Easy couldn't help but think how cool she would look coming back to Morningside with a bison pelt in tow. She'd be the coolest wolf there!
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette chuckled. "Yes. We have several already," she smiled at Easy. The young female seemed so ecstatic so Valette was more than happy to give it to her. "So now you met the bison. Perhaps we should find Steph for you then," she spoke with a smile. She knew her daughter and Easy were good friends. And now they wouldn't really be able to hunt a bison with the two of them. "Unless you want to go home now?," she asked.
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy looked back into the territory, feeling a pang of longing as she thought of her old friend. But she'd been gone for some time already, and it was high time she headed home. Besides, the quicker she got to Morningside, the quicker she could turn around and come back!

"I'd better get back home. But I'll be back soon," she promised the alpha. Easy gave into the surge of admiration for the older wolf and leaned forward to smash her face affectionately against Valette's shoulder. "Bye! Thank you for showing me!" she chirped, turning and running across the flatlands, swinging wide to avoid the buffalo.
JoiMorningbreeze!
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette chuckled and let the female run off back to her own pack. Valette was certain she would see the female real soon. The dark female liked to be a mentor, especially when it came to hunting. She loved to watch the other's grow and learn. She liked to think that Easy learned a bit more about bison today. Hopefully, next time they could hunt a bison together with the pack. That would be something for the young female to experience.

- end -

Thank you for the thread <3