Fire
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
This just occurred to me but has any character on WOLF ever discovered the uses of fire - via lightning strike or any other probable cause? Would your character even be able to or does that fall beyond the boundary of semi-realistic rp?
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

Mod
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Characters who came here from previous iterations of the game are aware of fire and how devastating it can be; more recently, the Donnelaith pack was destroyed because of a lightning strike and then a fire that swept through the Weald (which is also why the description of the Weald is different now); wolves cannot use fire / transport fire / start fires, but I'm sure there is a certain level of semi-realism that is appropriate. I believe at one point there was a cult-type pack that utilized fire? Or I could be thinking of another site, since the concept is quite common.

Hope that helps!
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Thanks, that does help - I recall reading Ratha's Creature back in high school in which a semi-intelligent society of primitive lions discover the uses of fire and wondering if such a thing had ever occurred/could possibly occur on WOLF. (I thought it might fall under the same category as other discoveries of civilization - farming, tools, written language, etc. Some of which would be almost impossible to simulate in game. )

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
The boundaries that are placed around fire do feel a little arbitrary, especially when you consider other the other types of knowledge that are allowed. On site, I've seen wolves plant trees and even cultivate gardens... It also seems common for healers to be capable of mixing up medicinal pastes and salves. It seems to me that what is and isn't allowed is governed less by the rules of semi-realism and more by just.. tradition.

But on the other hand, I definitely see the merits of keeping fire away from our characters just from a conflict/combat standpoint. Once wolves can manipulate fire, they're naturally going to weaponize it. You can't burn down all of the Teekons with a medicinal salve, so I can see why we have one over the other. xD
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
In general, it needs to be something a wolf could physically do. They wouldn't be able to light a match or rub two sticks together, but the could put a stick into an existing fire–say, created by lightening—and move it somewhere else. Tending to a fire would be rather difficult for a wolf... I can barely do it on camping trips, and I've got opposable thumbs!
No longer speaks Trigedasleng regularly.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
It would definitely be difficult for it to be regulated (what would stop conflicting packs from lighting each other up lol, or it could cause wildfires or something else along those lines) and it would be especially hard for any animal to utilize it. 

@Sequoia it's actually funny that you mention that. In the book I mentioned above, that is exactly what happens. A lightning strike causes a fire, the lioness sees that it burns wood, and begins feeding it sticks before eventually discovering that she can carry a torch in her mouth and transport it. 

It's definitely fascinating, especially the effect it has on the novel's society, and I'll have to keep it in mind for the future - it could be interesting to see toons on WOLF attempting to tame flames lol.