Phantom Hollow and oh baby, when they made me, they broke the mold
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
dated before the mal thread & after the mahler thread
He still hasn't told his ward anything about what happened with Midar, though he's certain the child is smarter than he lets on. Surely @Phillip has noticed the new air of nervousness surrounding his guardian, perhaps even connected it to Midar's absence in some way. But there is no way for him to know that he is the cause, or that Midar had wanted him dead, and Alarian intends to keep it that way. There are some things children don't need to know, he thinks.
How are you feeling? He asks suddenly, halting as his gaze finds Phillip. It feels like he says those words more often than any others to his ward, but it's necessary, in his opinion. The last thing he wants is to let the child's health slip away right under his nose. He's gone through far too much to keep the boy alive, and he's admittedly a little fond of him and his stupid-looking owl. Fond enough to avoid eating the bird for fear of upsetting Phillip, at least.
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Indeed he had taken note of Midar's absence. Honestly he was unsure of how to feel about it. Some part of him was relieved, though he'd never admit that. No more arguments or angry stares that kept him up at night. But that wasn't enough to displace the disappointment. Give it time and maybe, just maybe, Phillip could have been something Midar could care for. That's what he'd hope would happen, but it was impossible now.

At least Alarian hadn't left. He was the only one of the two who seemed to care for his wellbeing. He was there to nurse him back to health. Now look at him! Walking around, fully conscious, with a bird perched upon his shoulder. 

How are you feeling? The question breaks the prolonged silence and pulls him away from daydreams. Hmm, tired, It seems like they've been walking for ages now. ... but ok. In terms of health that is.

Phillip looked over his guardian with some concern. He'd taken to doing that every now and again. Alarian just seemed so distressed all the time and he wasn't sure why. Phillip cleared his throat and returned the question. You?
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Guilt tugs at him when the boy admits to being tired, but he isn't surprised. His last encounter with Midar had instilled a sense of urgency in him, a need to put as much distance between his ward and his mate as possible. Phillip isn't safe with him, truth be told, but he doesn't know what else to do with him. So he makes sure they stay on the move, never in one place for too long. It is difficult, though, with such a fragile child, and he finds himself appreciating his honesty.
He blinks at Phillip's last questioning word, so surprised by it that it takes him a moment to register the meaning. He's been far too wrapped up in his own concerns to notice the boy's. His guilt deepens — but he's a little touched as well. I'm tired, too, He admits quietly, choosing to share the most benign of the feelings plaguing him. He could lie, of course, but that wouldn't quite feel right. We can stop for today, and I'll find us somewhere to sleep later. Maybe I can... tell you a story, or something. Kids like stories, right? He's actually not certain he knows any stories fit for children, but if nothing else, he can make something up.
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Alarian's answers settles a creeping sense of worry for a moment. He was tired just as he was. It's a logical reason as to why his caretaker seemed so disquieted and it was an easy problem to fix. A little rest would do them both good. Alarian could regain some spark, if there was any there to begin with. Phillip was hopeful.

His eyes lit up when Alarian mentioned a story. You can tell me now. While we walk, he blurted. His tone had a childlike wonder that had never been present before. Please? It would be a nice way to pass the time and break the silence.