Swiftcurrent Creek no one's gone
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
The creek wasn't much to look at, in her opinion.
It snaked across the lowlands. The water was clear, cold and satisfied a long-going thirst that the girl had acquired days ago. Lapping at puddles wasn't enough; she was lucky to have found this place.
The thawed places glimmered silver as she watched the surface, wondering to herself if there was something more to this creek. Maybe she could find something to eat — a frog, a fish, or maybe sneak up on a wading bird, even though Kas hadn't seen any evidence of those things.
It was still too cold.
Soon she'd have to decide where next to search.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Not long after warning the pair of Duskfires away from the bypass, Druid parted ways with Witch and headed out to find some food. This venture led her west outside the pack’s faded borders as she followed the scent of some kind of rodent. When it led to a dead end, her attention turned toward the nearby lake. She strode toward it.

Before she reached the shore, she saw a figure in the distance. Druid halted and stared, trying to discern details from afar. The stranger possessed a lanky, mid-sized build and a ruddy coat. It was hard to tell from here, but she sensed it was a she-wolf. She tipped her nose into the air, trying to confirm by scent, but the wind wasn’t in her favor.

Although she was not a terribly social sort, Druid knew they needed recruits to build up Rivenwood. With that in mind, she made a cautious approach, woofing to announce herself to the stranger.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The wind brought a strong scent to Kas instead, one that was layered. She was old enough to know wolf scent when she crossed it but not wise enough to read that wind and make sense of it. So she ignored the scent and hunkered down alongside the river.
Before long someone was there with her. They came as a shout at first, then the more obvious tempo of someone striding through the greenery.
Kas caught on to the other presence as it neared and began to look around. Who's there?!
The girl shouted towards some bushes as a sound stirred among some trees opposite, causing her to look sharply in another direction.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
As she came closer, she took notice of the winding creek. Her stomach rumbled in Pavlovian response to the sight. These shallow rapids would be an ideal fishing spot, much more so than the lake. But she quickly returned her attention to the wolf, only she’d vanished from sight.

She jumped a little at the shout, her head whipping back and forth as she tried to pinpoint the source of the voice. Druid, she tentatively replied, then with slightly more confidence, tacked on, of Rivenwood. Her tail slowly lashed and she continued, I saw you over here and wanted to come say ‘hello,’ introduce myself…
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
An answer rose up from the riverside.
Kas ducked her head and tried to move behind some cover. She didn't know that voice, that name, or that place; but being near a river made her leap to the conclusion that this was Rivenwood, and she was somehow in trouble for being there.
What do you want, Druid of Rivenwood? The girl went on to murmur as she sulked around some bushes, trying to keep herself out of sight while seeking a good look at the stranger. It was a difficult thing to do - spy on someone while hiding yourself.
I ain't got any food if that's what you're after.
As lonely as she was, Kas couldn't put herself at-risk by trusting strangers.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Still scouring her surroundings, Druid replied, Like I said, I wanted to come over and introduce myself… She thought maybe the knew the spot where the voice was coming from, so she spoke to it directly without moving any closer. As a matter of fact, I am searching for food. But I know how and where to find it. I’m not interested in stealing from anyone.

She paused, a little bemused, though truthfully she empathized with the other woman’s aloofness. I really mean you no harm. Can I know your name and your allegiance?
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The stranger kept on talking. She -- and Kas was certain by now it was a woman by now -- sounded as smart as a muppet. Talking about having a place, and food, as if boasting like that could earn you something beyond teeth in your neck.
Kas, and -- well, Kas. The girl answered pointedly.
Knowing that Druid was after food (since everyone was after food, and well, she'd said as much) made her shoulders tense together.
If its all th'same to you --
Kaszandra's words were promptly cut off as she attempted to bolt from cover. Lunging for one shadow or another. Finding the water's edge, plunging a paw in there by mistake and then spinning quickly to orient herself.
That's when she caught the stranger eye-to-eye and grimaced; breathing heavily and looking around skeptically. Who else is out here? You don't smell lone.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
The reply didn’t make sense to her at first, though comprehension eventually came to her. Druid opened her mouth to say something when Kas skittered into view, darting toward the nearby creek only to screech to a halt. When she turned, they came face to face.

The rest of my pack is back in the bypass, Druid said, telegraphing her movements a bit as she turned to point at the stone arches in the distance behind her. We’re small right now and looking for members, she added plainly, not entirely certain how to go about this recruitment business.
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The answer Druid gave meant very little to Kas, given that she had no idea what a bypass was, or if the stranger's word could be trusted. She gave another furtive look around as if expecting an ambush. Not once did she relax or drop her guard - that'd be foolish - but she began to nod her head in understanding.

I don't meet many friendly-types. You offerin' some kind of deal to everybody, no question? That ain't smart.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
She remembered the word Sequoia had used: “assess.” No sooner had she decided she should begin assessing Kas than the woman bluntly told her that she wasn’t being smart. Druid’s open mouth clapped shut and she felt a little jolt of indignation, though mostly because she knew Kas was right. Druid didn’t really know what she was doing.

No, she answered slowly, I’m not going to simply accept you without getting to know you first. What I’m trying to sort out is whether you’d be interested, Druid admitted candidly. If you are, I will assess whether I think you would be a good fit for Rivenwood. If you aren’t, I’ll leave you be.
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Kas went quiet. She was shifting her weight from paw to paw as if the ground were too hot, or too cold. Something about this encounter didn't sit right with her; she couldn't see any danger in entertaining the stranger, or testing them in return, as they were alone. When nobody came from the darkness of the woodland around them, she felt a little more at-ease.
How many people ya got? What makes your home so appealin' that you'd go off inta the wilds, recruitin'? She probed with her questions. The other girl, this so-called Druid, seemed new to the whole ambassador thing and Kaszandra would take full advantage of that quirk. Whatever information she could gather would suit her own goals, whether she agreed or not.
What makes ya think I even want what you offer?
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Druid lost her patience. The entire point of this conversation was to figure out if it would be a mutually good fit. But she was apparently terrible at recruiting and Kas clearly wasn’t in the mood to be recruited. This was a waste of time.

Never mind, she said brusquely. Sorry to have bothered you, she added slightly more politely before turning and striding along the creekside, turning her attention back toward finding sustenance.
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
When the other girl turned and dismissively resumed her prowling along the riverside, a crowing of laughter erupted behind her. Kaszandra was pleased with the win; bemused as much by the stranger's quick defeat as she was with her own slew of questions left unanswered.
Really? She murmured as she followed behind Druid. She gave her ample room in case this really was an ambush but gaiety sparked in her voice. You give up jus' like that? What about yer recruitment drive? Evidently this girl didn't have much to say, or to offer, to those she hoped to conscript. Typical needy pack wolf.
What had pa always said? Besides the nearly perpetual silence whenever they were together -- warnings about throwing in with the wrong crowd? Kas did want to know more but at this point it might've been safer to let Druid run on home.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
It surprised her when Kas pursued her, laughing and making jabs. Druid stopped, looking in bewilderment at the woman, really not sure what to make of her at this point. Clearly they weren’t destined to be comrades, so they should go their separate ways.

I’m going to fish now, she said after a long, uncomfortable pause.
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Kas lurked. Its what came naturally to her. She watched and kept out of the way while the other girl settled in to fish, radiating defeat. If she'd really wanted to piss her off then Kaszandra might've commented on her vibes affecting the fish - but the chances were she could steal the fish after, or at the very least learn more about Druid and her people by sticking around.
The girl's long stride carried her to the other side of Druid and there, she settled to watching from the scattered shadows. After about fifteen minutes Kaszandra was too bored to watch - but she wasn't about to leave.
You know what yer doin'? She queried softly, peering at the water with her brows raised, over the length of her sharp snout.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
She grew increasingly uncomfortable when Kas did not depart, instead lingering nearby. Druid decided to ignore her, though it was easier said than done. When she found a suitable spot along the shoreline, she did her best to angle her back to the other she-wolf.

Druid shrewdly watched a few fish drift past. She remained very still, waiting for one to roam within reach, preferably something sizable. She’d nearly forgotten about Kas when a voice spoke closer than expected, causing her to jerk slightly.

Yes, I know what I’m doing, Druid replied with a slight hiss in her voice. Be quiet and still, or go away, she added frankly, shifting her weight and grumbling slightly as she turned back to the water.
11 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The girl snapped back at her and Kasz smirked behind her, slinking back with a low hum, doing as she was told. May as well get something out of this encounter. Druid wasn't about to talk up her home so the next best way to judge a person? Watch them. See how well they can feed themselves, because clearly conversation was out the proverbial window and Kaszandra couldn't make up her mind yet about this Rivenwood thing.
Yeah, this was some needy pack wolf, but that made her easily exploited. The loner had no choice but to stick around for a little bit - either to steal a fish or get a good idea of this one's capabilities.
Heck, maybe she was just that lonely.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Kas slunk backward and Druid resumed ignoring her presence. It took quite a lot of work to focus on her task, though she managed to wait and watch patiently until what looked like some sort of catfish swam within reach. She struck at it, but missed.

Undeterred, she settled back on her haunches, growing still as a statue. Druid lost track of time and wondered if Kas would grow bored and leave. She didn’t dare glance behind her, lest she miss an opportunity, and was glad of her own dedication when she took another shot and managed to scoop a small trout from the current.

Clenching it in her teeth, Druid spun and cantered back toward the bypass, refusing the impulse to look around for any sign of Kas.

I segued into this thread, in case you wanna have her follow! :)