Raventhorpe
Vorðr
-Leave them at the bottom of the grave they dug for you. -
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Private 
Upon his return to the pack lands, Reyson went in search of Lady @Aquene . Though the she wolf Meadow had done a good job at patching him up, he still trusted Lady Aquene more than others, simply because she was his packmate.

The Marygold had formed a hardened crust against his face, the other herbal leaves she had given him, clasped tightly between canines. He made it to the tableau and lifted his head for a small howl. He would even settle for @Siku, the boy was learning well, but he also had a message to deliver.

Reyson settled to his haunches, laying the leaves at his feet and waited, patiently for someone to arrive. To tend to his torn face.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene heard the call for her as she was checking in on the housing across the territory. It didn’t take her long to turn on her haunches and begin to run towards the call. It had sounded somewhat urgent, and she would start to slow her pace once the soldier came into view, a frown as the strong scent of herbs and the crusted poultice on his face greeted her.

“Reyson… what happened?” She asked softly as she moved in immediately to investigate.

“Please, come inside the tablinum so I can look at it more properly.” She was relieved that at the very least he had received proper medical care… though the extent of it or how he obtained these injuries were still a mystery to her.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson lifted gaze to hers and gave a crooked smile. Found the tail end of a porcupine. I also have a message for you.

The soldier started behind the healer, picked up the herbal leaves that meadow had given him. At the very least, Aquene could keep them in stores. At most he could put it on whatever wounds he had, though he was fine with allowing Aquene to keep them.

I took rabbits to Lady Tamar, knowing that she would be due soon. I wanted to offer that service, given that we are sister packs. Yes?

Reyson frowned in thought as he was trying to remember everything. I was met by Healer Meadow at the border. She led me into pack lands and I made a cache for Lady Tamar. But while I was working a porcupine came upon us. We startled it and in an effort to keep Lady Meadow from a wound I took the brunt of it. She removed the barbs and put Marigold on it and cleaned it.

Reyson shifted. She also requested that you visit Lady Tamar soon. She didn't tell me why, but I have inferred that she isn't handling after birth well.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She felt concern over what had happened to the soldier, but remained impressed by the aid he had already received. It had certainly been enough to ward off infection for him to get back to her so she might treat him the rest of the way.

At the mention of Tamar, her smile grew, though it faltered at her eyes. “We were sister packs… the decision for me to remain with Mereo as Matrona rather than travel to Epoch placed… strain, on the relationship. Arsenio has separated affiliation.” She explained, feeling a sense of guilt in that moment for how her decision had affected things… even if it had been Germanicus’s decision as well.

“They have done a good job in treating your wounds… I must reclean the wound and redress it, to ensure infection will not fester.” She offered to him beginning with taking a wet piece of moss in order to wipe away some of the marigold that was crusted around his features.

“I will leave for Epoch immediately once I have finished treating you.” The concern was present in her voice, and her heart quickened in worry for her dear friend. “Once we are done here, I will need you to find Germanicus and alert him of my departure, and to find Towhee and ask her to watch over my children in my absence. Kallik is still away on mission.”
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson was no healer. But he was aware of the healing prowess Healer Meadow had showed. She was a good wolf with a sweet nature. He hoped his arrival didn't cause her issue in light of things.

Reyson saw her expression and he was on guard. Though it quieted as she spoke.

I see.

He frowned. I owe Healer Meadow an apology. I lied to her then. And she deserves to know I was wrong, that we are not sister packs.

Reyson smiled a quick move of lips. Healer Meadow is very adept. I think she will relish meeting you as well. I also told her of Siku and how well he does for a pup his age. He treated a bite for me a while ago from sparring.

He gave a nod. I'll let them all know. And keep an eye on the boys if they are around me as well. So you needn't worry agter them.

He frowned sadly. I am sorry Kallik is still on mission. I hopw he returns to you soon.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She was glad that Tamar had found another to bond with in the healing arts… Tamar had been her student for some time, training her so that she might lighten Aquene’s load and they could share in the care of the soldiers of the pack. To hear that she had this healer, Meadow, brought her a sense of calm.

Though she would rush to her friend’s side at once. “You were unaware… it was your truth at the time, Reyson, do not feel bad. I shall ensure they know you were unaware of the change in status.” She was quite determined on that. There was a smile at the mention of her son. “He has taken after me in that regard… I would be remiss to say I was not relieved… two necks on the line in my family is more than enough for me, and it appears that Nanuq may have taken after his father, a fighter rather than a healer.” She had hoped she might make them both healers… but it did not appears so.

“It is okay… he is doing his duty just as I do mine… and I know he will return to me as soon as he is able.” She finished clearing away the crusted marigold, looking at the injury. "It is healing well. I will reapply the poultice. Has there been any pain since the initial incident?"
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson knew that Meadow lacked the confidence of most healers. But he hoped she would gain it in tim3, shecwas quite adept and he had known his share of healers.

Reyson nodded. I liked her and Lady Tamar. It is upsetting.

Reyson frowned in thought. You know very well i feel it takes gumption to be a healer. And i think Siku will do well. He is already quite knowledgeable. Though, once upon a time i would have srgued that a soldoer was well and good. I find...discontent with a life as nothing more than one. I hope your son has more facets to him than duty.

Small shootings of it, but mostly it has been fine. Pain is okay. After all it means I'm still alive.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene felt her own pain over the loss of the alliance and the distance between her and her friends. Though Arsenio and Tamar were still friendly with her, and they were still considered friends, she could not help but feel like the entire situation had put a damper on their friendship… still, she knew they understood her choices and why she had made them.

That was important to her.

“It can… and it also takes a strong stomach, especially in a militaristic pack like Mereo… sometimes wounds are not pleasant, nor are the things we must do to treat them.” She remembered her first time seeing an amputation, and how the food had not stayed down. “He shows much promise already… if he is truly passionate about it, then he will do well.” She knew the healings arts were not something to be forced.

“I will coat the poultice with some Celandine then. It will help with the pain… I respect the gumption but there is no reason to need to accept small shootings, and pain can prove a distraction in a fight.” God forbid he find himself in a border skirmish or something while still recovering.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson did not understand fully the pain, nor could he empathize. He had been neither close or friends with the wolves in question and before, there had only been Renaud. He supposed he was in a sense close with Rook and Amity, but he also saw now the difference between a parent and a child, and he had never acted like a father. Only a commander, not that he had been asked to be a father. He had simply helped along a female as she wanted something and he could give.

Reyson snorted, good naturedly. This is extremely true. The wounds upon my back were enough for Renaud to lose his lunch. Though he was also quite angry at the reason for them.

Reyson had seen many amputations, some made it, some didn't. It was enough to make you green around the gills if you weren't used to it.

Celandine? What is that? I have not even heard of it?

Reyson frowned in thought. Had pain ever distracted him? He really couldn't remember a time, truthfully pain had always grounded him, because it was then that he knew he needed to finish what he started as quick as his body would allow before it gave out....but perhaps that was a personal thing that made him strange.

Then he remembered what time it had, when it had been so great he had barely managed to function, but that had been more emotional. Though the physical had been there as well.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She offered her own good natured chuckle in return to his comment. “I imagine it was… I recall the first time I saw my mother remove a paw… it had been mangled and proved deadweight… I fainted on her, and the other healers had to drag me by the scruff out of the den until I came to.” She admitted to him, confiding such things in him. She had seen so many things, and had not always handled them as well as she had back in the day.

“Celandine is a yellow bloom… similar to poppy but without the dulling effects of it… it helps to ease pain by applying a numbing to the nerves. It’ll stop the small shootings without affecting function much if at all. I can start with a lower dose and if you still feel the pain I can add more.” She explained to him.

She knew many soldiers denied that their pain impacted them at all, but Aquene’s own experience taught her otherwise. It was there, subconscious, in the back of ones mind. It was instinct to guard against further injuring something that was already in pain… she desired to not see it. She prepared the poultice, using cobweb for it’s sticky property as the wound had already clotted, laying celandine and marigold crushed against it before laying it carefully, tailoring it to the size of the wound to prevent excess cobweb from being necessary. “It’s got a good healing already to it… but this will ensure it continues to heal rather than infects.”
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson chuckled. I didn't faint, but I couldn't eat meat for days. Renaud found it hilarious that I could only eat berries. We were young then, and I was not fond of him yet. So I believe I shoved his head into a latrine.

Reyson had once upon a time been full of piss and vinegar a regular jerk, but he had grown out of it quickly. IF memory served it was when he found Renaud crying after some of the others had bullied him, and crushed his herbs that he had so painstakingly gathered. It was then that Reyson decided he could be a good soldier without being an ass. Though he supposed part of him still was. He remembered with a small glimmer of embarrassment and shame his first day in the borders of Mereo.

He listened closely and smiled. Renaud would have liked to have that in his medicine kit. Neither one of us were fond of poppy, no one in my small unit were.

Yes I would rather keep my face and not have it turn into poisoned flesh. Thank you Matrona Aquene.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She raised an eyebrow at him as he admitted that he had shoved the other man’s head into a latrine. “I had nothing in my stomach… otherwise I feel I might have lost all of it’s contents instead as well.” She offered with a gentle smirk at that as well. “When I first met Kallik, he was just as gruffy, a soldier through and through. I believe he loathed the fact that I was being brought into the canyon, and he hadn’t fully understood why Mereo needed a healer.” She offered, a reminiscent tone carrying over.

Love could soften even the toughest of hearts, she knew… it had been when Kallik had found her late one night, upset over a nightmare she had that he had began to soften towards affection. He had calmed even before that, when their bouts of insomnia had flared at the same time. “I do not like poppy either… I use it only for extreme measures. It dulls the senses, and can be quite addictive.” She offered up in explanation as she carefully laid the webbing on his face.

“I think we would all prefer that, Reyson.” She teased lightly, smoothing it over to ensure that it stuck. “The webs have a clotting property and promote healing, even if it is a weird feeling on the face. The poultice will come off in it’s own time, so just leave it on until then and once it is off, return to me so I can look it over and decide if you need another.”
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson shuffled a paw. She gave him a mother stare as he liked to call them. Showing her disapproval of his actions.

I did beg his forgiveness and I believe I was at his beck and call for a season before he forgave me, which was deserved.

Reyson frowned. I knew many that held that same opinion of healers. I didn't. We had a healer in our unit. Renaud was part of my command. We also lost less soldiers, until others realized the merit he held.

Reyson gave a soft noise of agreement, he also hated Poppy. Renaud had not even used it in dire circumstances unless there was nothing else to do for it.

He listened and didn't move as she explained what everything was for. Cobwebs i know. I know poultices well. I had to wear one for quite some time, when i was punished for insubordination. The scars along my shoulders.

He shifted so she could see the cat-o-nine tails scars.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She chuckled softly when she heard how Renaud had expertly handled Reyson. “Soldiers… I swear, the lot of you…” Her tone was teasing, finding some humor in it. “Please tell me he made you clear away the bedding of the injured? It is what I would have done in his paws.” She had been punished with that one by her mother – mix of blood and other waste could be so unpleasant that no healer really wanted to deal with it.

“He sounds like he was a good healer.” She would offer with a smile. “Us healers, we need to be stubborn enough to push gruff soldiers around… it’s a talent many do not realize we possess… between you and me, I think that those around Mereo are started to figure that out…” She had pushed others around quite a bit, even the Imperator when necessary though he did not always budge.

At the mention of the scars on his shoulders being a punishment for insubordination she frowned. “Yes, I imagine it would have taken much time to heal… if you do not mind me asking, what did you do?”
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson returned the laughter. We are a stubborn lot. I must say.

Reyson chuckled and shook his head. Forcing himself back through years of memories to that summer. He tried to remember, and then he grinned.

Yes he did, but he also had me carry his healing satchel for weeks, and I had to give him choice meats, whenever he was hungry. I remember. one time I had been training all day, bone tired. Fast asleep, he woke me an hour into my sleep to remind me that I owed him and he wanted a rabbit, while the world was sleeping. So I went and got one, and that was the last time at least to earn his favor back. I would do that later just for the hell of it.

Reyson sighed. And nodded. He was a good healer, a good man. Isn't that the truth of it. He could handle me better than even my commanders could.

A frown curled around his maw in thought as he tried to remember. There were many times. The most notable, was when Renaud had gone against a direct order to stop healing someone who the commanders felt was not worth the resources. I was tasked to punish him, since he belonged to my contingent, but I. I refused. I could not do it.

Reyson remembered that day and his heart continued to clench at the thought. Renaud had told him to get on with it, and he could not do it. So instead he offered to take the punishment. Since it was his healer, and his task group, he was the commander.

I told them since they wanted to punish someone then they should punish me, as he was my healer and I was responsible for him. I am not sure what was worse that day, the wounds or Renaud weeping.

He smiled. Most of the time, it was because I didn't do something they wanted me too. Whether it went against my morals, or it was something I could not do I cannot remember.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She chuckled softly alongside him, nodding eagerly as he did so. Yes, she knew just how stubborn all of the soldiers in Mereo could be. She recalled when Towhee had been stubborn about Aquene’s medical orders after her brush with death as well… feeding her own children, though she considered it more a motherly act than a soldier act, it had certainly helped that she had the mindset of a stubborn soldier.

She was admittedly quite pleased that he had been worked so hard for such a slight. She no doubt would have taken an ear for it, not that her father would have sided with her over a man in the long run… “He sounds like he was a good man as well… one of those wolves who gives you something to aspire to be.” She added, a touch of warmth over the soldier’s love and affection that he still clearly held for the man. She decided to not let him in on the fact that all good healers needed to know how to wrangle the stubborn ones.

She listened intently as he detailed the causes of his punishment, a frown on her features the whole time. “Germanicus has never punished someone so physically as to leave scars… I do not believe it in his nature. The worst I have seen is the boulder… before Kallik and I were close, he had lain with another while out on a scouting mission… the boulder was his punishment. Germanicus is irritatingly strict on the behaviors of the soldiers at times… though in this case, I understood.” It was a division of resources had that woman shown up pregnant at Mereo’s stoop.

“As a healer, I know the feeling… it pains me to have to treat Kallik’s wounds… to see him in pain. I fear the same for my sons, especially Nanuq with how he takes after his father. Seeing those we’re closest to hurt, knowing there is nothing we can do to instantly take away the pain… that is the greatest trouble a healer faces.”

A smaller smile grew on her features, leaning in almost conspiratorially. “Between you and I, I have chewed Germanicus’s ears quite a bit over things I thought immoral… I am never afraid to scold him when I think he is misguided. It's why I was surprised he offered me the role of Matrona. I thought for certain he must have been overjoyed at the idea of sending me to Epoch so he would not need to face me again in righteous fury.” She flashed a wink as well. She could be on their side, even if her charges were the civilians of Mereo.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson had been one of Renauds most stubborn patients refusing to leave a field before a battle was done. Though, he always made sure Rook or Amity would go if they were hurt. Something Ren had often pointed out to him. 

Reyson was quite aware that healers had a little extra something when it came to dealing with others. Especially stubborn soldiers. However, whether it was more heart than most or something else he wasn't sure.

He did, still does.

Reyson spoke unsure how to tread. Mostly just because he wasn't sure how to verbalize.

Our pack was about duty above all else. And if you failed in that duty, you failed them. I can understand this punishment.

The scarred beast had nothing to add. He could have said it hurt the soldiers to when their healers were harmed at least he and Kallik. Whether emotional or non. But he was certain matrona was aware.

Reyson chuckled and looked her over with a kind warmth. That is probably exactly why he chose you. As soldiers especially battle hardened and difficult, we tend to do things a certain way. Stuck in our own ways. And many others hold a healthy dose of fear or wariness. You don't. Thus he knows if he goes to far or not far enough you will call him out on it. An even divison of power, two halves.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Soldiers did make the most stubborn patients. She knew that one from experience, and not just in those she cared for but in others who were mere acquaintances and packmates like Glaukos. Despite time, she had never really gotten over what had happened there, in that situation.

He still did? She couldn’t help but wonder about it; she had assumed Renauld was dead, was passed… and yet, there was a chance it sounded like. She did not wish to pry; there were some who had passed who she saw as still around as well: her mother, for one. She often asked for her guidance despite her passing having happened over a year prior, almost two now.

“It is a fair punishment.” She agreed quietly softly. “And it makes loyal soldiers… shortly before you arrived at Mereo, there was a man after me.” She admitted, though the threat had seemed to have long passed. “My former fiancé, Dimitri… he believed to have a claim on me because of my father’s decree I would marry him and he attacked me on Mereo’s borders while Kallik was away on a mission. If not for the discipline instill both in me and in the soldiers by the Imperator’s methods, that day might have turned out differently. I’ve never seen my husband so upset with himself, especially over something he had no control of. There was a time when I arrived here that I wanted to learn to do both, to fight fiercely like the soldiers and to continue healing.” She offered up, though even that drive had faded. She cared to know how to defend herself, but she could do with only dealing with the aftermath.

Perhaps, she was oversharing… she breathed in softly and exhaled. “I think you are right… Lady Ruenna kept him grounded, and in her absence I guess I am the next best option.” She chuckled softly.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson smiled at her. Even in death Renaud makes me strive to be better. So that I can honor him in someway. The life he lead.

Reyson listened thoughtfully and then frowned. I hope this wolf doesn't bother you again, but if he does. I will make sure it is the last thing he can do. If i can. Some men and even women think they are owed something, simply for existing. This is unfair, unrealistic and those deserve a healthy does of a old fashioned ass kicking.

Reyson nodded his head and gave her a soft nudge. As a soldier who was in love. WHen those we care about are hurt and we were not there, the level of self-loathing is more than we can bear. We cannot verbalize how we feel, it is...mmm...difficult. So we show are love by offering what we can and in most cases it is our bodies for safety. He probably felt that he wasn't showing his love enough. And I maybe wrong, but it is how I would feel.

Reyson tilted ears forward. If you would still like to learn I will teach you? Renaud as taught by me, mostly defensive in case of unruly patients. You can even teach me some rudimentary healing if you like.

She needn't worry about oversharing. he didn't mind in the least. He actually was enjoying the conversation.

You are.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene could not begin to understand that pain. She had been fortunate to still have her Love, even if he was not there physically. He was still alive… she would know if he was not… she would just know.

“He has not been seen since, and I believe I am in the clear… still, many here know what he looks like, and should his scent be found at the borders, no doubt there will be an army out after him. Towhee herself nearly killed him the first time but he managed to escape even her teeth.” She recalled how thankful she had been for the full might of Mereo that day. She had been hesitant before, and felt out of place surrounded by warriors, but they had shown their care by protecting her fiercely.

“I was learning, but Siku and Nanuq’s unexpected arrival delayed my training… it has been some time, but I would love to pick it back up, and work on honing my skills.” Especially with her husband’s absence weighing on her mind. A faint smile crossed her maw when he told her she had been the next best choice to the Lady Ruenna. “They are still quite big paws to fill.” Ruenna had been everything she strove to be, and she wasn’t sure she would ever meet her own expectations for the role.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson nodded. Though a part of him worried about it. He didn't like that wolf was still alive out there, who felt ill will towards a healer of Lady Aquene's caliber. It bothered the scarred warrior, much.

Reyson nodded his head. You let me know if you want to start learning again. Do you have any more healing to do, or am I free to go?

He met her gaze and then averted his eyes with a small smile. He would stay and continue to chat with her if she wished, but he also was itching to patrol. Especially since being told a wolf had attacked Aquene, here. Despite that he was gone and had been for some time, it would ease his mind just to walk.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene wanted to be able to better protect her family, and so she offered a nod. “Thank you, Reyson.” She offered kindly. “You are free to go now. I know you soldiers like to press on, but please continue to take it easy while this wound heals. Physical exertion will work against time on your wounds.” She offered with a smile on her features.

She would wait for him to leave before turning back to her daily duties around her tablinum,