Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
They had never left the ranks of Redtail Rise, had never even considered the possibility. But Avicus had taken all sense of home with her wherever she’d gone. And particularly since the rally, their birthplace slowly began to lose its significance to Masquerade.

“This was her home,” Masque heard Redd’s voice in their mind as they ranged westward today, hoping to plunder The Tangle. “We are her legacy.”

They turned to glance over their shoulder at the rise. If it had ever been their birthright, it didn’t feel like it any longer. If not for the pups, Masque might have considered leaving it. Well, they did think about it… but they would not soon forget their promise to Mulherin.

For now, they faced forward and plunged into the thick undergrowth, wondering what prey they might find in such terrain to bring back to their younger siblings. They didn’t get far before pausing and pondering another little brother in particular.

A moment later, they raised their muzzle and howled for @Redsky to come to them.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky heard his siblings howl and raced over to them. He was always excited when Masque called. "Hi!" He said.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
While they waited for Sky to heed their call, Masquerade’s mind wandered a bit. They caught themself wondering at what age the pups would be less reliant on their caretakers and more independent. The Caru thought of who they might consult about this topic and found themself frowning deeply when they realized there was nobody they could ask, especially with Ashlar gone.

They would have to find out the hard way, they supposed. Masque wasn’t opposed to that, much as the situation fed into their frustration. At least they could help their younger brothers and sisters become more self-sufficient by teaching them, just as they planned to do today.

Redsky came, breathless. Masquerade managed to smile at his excited greeting. They stepped forward to bump their muzzles together, then gently licked the bridge of his. The Caru wasn’t much of one for dominance displays but out here beyond the rise, they needed their younger brother to fall in line.

Today, I would like to teach you how to hunt small game. It will be very difficult, especially in this terrain, they said, motioning toward The Tangle. Are you up for the challenge, Sky?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
The little young boy was ready! "Yes yes yes!" Little Sky said. "Ima be a huwnter!!!" He said with excitement. He flashed his paw out in front of him in a striking-like motion to show he was 'ready'.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He didn’t seem concerned in any way. Masquerade arched a brow but smiled at his enthusiasm. Sky would soon learn that it was not all fun and games, though the Caru did not want to spoil his “go get ‘em!” attitude in the meantime.

You’re already a hunter, they said, beginning to move toward their destination, you were born one. But we’ll fine-tune all those natural instincts into real skills. Starting small, Masque was sure to remind him with a weighty look.

They faced forward and proceeded deeper into the thick undergrowth. Their movements were stealthy and nearly silent, not so much for Sky’s. That was expected. Masque led him to a small, cleared thicket that could serve as a blind of sorts.

One thing you can work on is trying to be as quiet as possible when you move through terrain like this. It’s much easier said than done and will take many hours of practice. But that is something you can work on, even on your own.

Now,
they continued in the next breath, changing tack, we wait. One of the greatest skills you must acquire as a hunter is patience. Sometimes, we must crouch and observe for hours before an opportunity arises. Do you understand, Sky?

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Sky nodded. "Yes, I get it. We need to be quiet to make sure ouwr pwey don't wun away, and we need to be pa-pa-tient, to wait for it to come." He said, struggling a little on the bigger words.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Yes, they said simply, glad Sky followed in theory.

But what about in practice? Masquerade folded their body close to the ground, elbows tucked to their ribs and haunches coiled like springs at rest. Although they relaxed their muscles some, their neck remained rigid as they scanned the surrounding forestry. Their eyes and ears were both in constant motion, their nostrils flaring as they drank all the tells on the subtle breeze.

The wind is blowing from the sea to the north, they observed aloud, meaning we’re downwind from everything in that direction. If we stay quiet and still, it’s only a matter of time before something stumbles this way. Do you think you can sit still and wait, Sky? Possibly for hours?

No matter how assured he seemed, only time would tell if Sky would prove capable. And in the likely event that his youthful attention span ran short, Masque would be happy to teach him everything they knew about staying focused and patient.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
@Masquerade, revived this thread

Sky nodded. He didn't know how long it would be, sitting here waiting, but he was keen to learn to hunt. He turned to his sibling, waiting for more instruction
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The Caru said nothing further. They settled more comfortably, tuning into their surroundings and wondering if Sky was taking notes too. Perhaps even more difficult than sitting still was the art of remaining alert in said state. Masque had to fight off a yawn, clenching their jaw against it as the minutes ticked silently past.

Only time would tell which came first: Sky’s patience running out or a potential victim stumbling into the two wolves’ radar.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky sat there, his eyes scanning around the area for signs of movement, but his body otherwise staying mostly still. Every now and then his tail would flick with anticipation, and his legs would tremble with readiness to pounce at any moment, but his movements were small, and he forced them to stop right when he felt it happen. He was determined to stay still and prove himself as an able hunter for his pack.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Time stretched, minutes turning into an hour, then two. Masquerade noted the way their younger brother fidgeted, though he seemed much more in control of himself than the Caru had expected. It made them proud.

At the top of the third hour, they whispered, You’re doing very well, Sky.

They slowly readjusted their posture, stretching stiffened muscles before settling again. They tuned into their surroundings, noting the mild hum of cicadas and the occasional breath of wind in the leafy canopy. Every time it blew, Masque’s nostrils flared, drinking in all the scents it carried.

At long last, a gust carried to them something fresher than the rest. The Caru shifted, exchanging a glance with the pup. Did he smell it too? Was he ready to act? They slowly coiled, ready to spring at a moment’s notice as they tried to discern the source of the scent. It was rather musty. Perhaps it was a weasel of some sort?

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Sky smelled something too. His ears perked up. He couldn't decipher what it was exactly as the only animal he'd 'hunted' while it was still alive was a rabbit, but he knew this was something alive. And something he'd eaten. He looked at his sibling, eyes alert and bright, his face showing he smelled it too, and his voice silent though as to not ruin this chance. He waited for instruction.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The scent grew stronger. It definitely belonged to a mustelid of some sort. Masquerade didn’t know all the varieties, though they thought they caught a glimpse of dark brown fur through the undergrowth about two dozen yards away.

Masque looked over at Sky, who was gazing at them expectantly. The Caru shook their head. If they spoke, the weasel would surely scurry away. Besides, they wanted to see if the young hunter’s instincts would drive him. Masque gestured silently for Sky to act on said instincts.

It was very unlikely he would actually catch something as small and crafty as a weasel, though it would be excellent practice regardless. And perhaps Sky would surprise them.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Without the help of his sibling, Sky knew he had to go on instinct. So he decided to do the first thing that came to mind. He had to stalk up on his prey, carefully and quietly, as to not startle in, and then leap on it to catch it when he was close enough. Time to see if he could execute it.

So the young Toweard started off in his silent pursuit of this weasel. Inch by inch he prawled the woodland floor. Once in range, he attempted to leap on its back. But his jump was too close and too loud. The prey fled from his sight and buried itself in the leaves now coating the forest floor. Sky started after it but soon found it was no use. He turned to face his sibling, disappointment on his face as he trotted back with a sigh.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The wily weasel gave Sky the slip, leaving him to skulk back toward Masque with disappointment written all over his features. To counter that, the Caru smiled at him, tail flicking to and fro as they ruffled the fur lining his cheek, first with their nose, then with their teeth.

I know it’s easier said than done but don’t let the misses bother you too much. All of us—yes, including experienced adults—fail most of the time, did you know that? All that matters is that you keep trying, Masque reassured.

They didn’t know about him but they were tired of crouching here. Turning so their long tail whacked gently against his ribs, they motioned for him to follow as they led the way back home. They’d earned themselves a treat, even if it meant dipping into one of the rise’s stockpiles.

Wrap here? :)

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
yep. i loved this thread (:

Sky looked up, reassured more when Masq shared that the adults failed too. And he appreciated his siblings' ruffling of his fur and tail slap to the ribs. When Masq turned to go back, Sky followed his sibling back to the Rise.