Brecheliant
Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
For a moment which felt like it would never end, Kaluktuk worried he might have offended her with the question. That she might rebel against the very notion he might want to get to know his son, this man who had refused him the title of father, who now found love and comfort and home in a village he had not built; this person who she loved and would soon marry. She tucks herself together and when she speaks, Kaluktuk listens intently.

Little by little the truth of his son was made clear: he had never really been Kaluktuk's; he had always been Sakhmet's. Even before Kukutux and Aiolos, he had his mother's heart. Outwardly he looked to be something suitable for the northlands and those of Tartok — but now that Kaluktuk was being told of Kivaluk, he learned of how wrong he had been. No, Kivaluk was not Tartok. He was never destined for such a life no matter what Kaluktuk had hoped. He was a summerland wolf like his mother, to his core.

Chickadee spoke the word sivullik and Kaluktuk felt a great love and pride swell in the broken parts of his heart, almost enough to mend it. His worries eased, and his features melted to something softer, kinder. It was good to know Kivaluk was so well respected; that he was skilled, loved, cared for. That it had been beneficial to leave him within Moonglow, at least to a point. He could imagine what kind of man Kivaluk would have grown in to, had Natigvik remained. How he might have gone north with him to one of the camps, to take part in a warband, to find himself an issumatar.

This was better.

You have to get to know the rest of him yourself.

I hope to. He was hopeful that such a moment might come to pass.

...and, I thank you for what you have said. I am glad that he has someone he can depend on. A slight dig at himself, but it cannot be avoided. He is very important to me — but more importantly now, to you. It is good. I wish you both well in the future. The thought of spring made Kaluktuk take a breath, but he would not speak upon the topic, as he did not know what to expect.

If either of you need me for anything, or have need of Moonsong for anything, please do not hesitate to call.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Messages In This Thread
redthread - by Chickadee - December 12, 2023, 04:12 PM
RE: redthread - by Kigipigak - December 13, 2023, 06:27 AM
RE: redthread - by Chickadee - December 14, 2023, 02:24 PM
RE: redthread - by Kigipigak - December 18, 2023, 12:20 AM
RE: redthread - by Chickadee - December 18, 2023, 09:54 AM
RE: redthread - by Kigipigak - December 18, 2023, 07:19 PM
RE: redthread - by Chickadee - December 18, 2023, 07:47 PM
RE: redthread - by Kigipigak - December 19, 2023, 09:35 PM
RE: redthread - by Chickadee - December 21, 2023, 02:35 PM