Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Private 
Ariadne and @Kaluktuk’s trip to Moonglow had been eventful, and it’d taken the woman a few days to truly unwind from the day’s events. While attempting to recover, she’d come down with something, due to all the stress and had been miserable since. She had a runny nose, cough, and congestion; she was a snotty mess.

Darkly, she mused, it was a good distraction from the other goings on in her life.

Currently, she lay in her ulaq with the raccoon hide Kaluktuk had given her tucked close to her chest as she tried to rest.
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
While the events upon the edge of Moonglow had not panned out as he had hoped, the conversation with his son had afforded Kaluktuk a glimmer of something. In the days to follow there would be much talk of his hunting, as he was focused on obtaining the bride-price; but also, Kaluktuk saw how the meeting with the moon and sun of the village had left Ariadne—so for the time being he would put aside the wants of Moonglow and focus upon her.

She was resting; there was sickness in the air. Kaluktuk approached with a bundle of food and, surprisingly, a collection of flowers, for her. While his focus was on providing her a fresh meal, the man wanted to lift her spirits with more than the bare necessities and as he had returned from his hunt, he had spotted some white flowers, and some yellow, and then a sad looking blue thing, all hidden among the trees. They weren't in the best condition (actually, they looked terrible).

He laid out the meal for her upon stone, the way she had presented the fish when they had dined together last. Wordless.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Kaluktuk had been generous with his support, and Ariadne appreciated everything he’d done for her in the past few days. She knew that there were other things he could’ve been doing, but he chose to take care of her, and that meant the world to her.

She lifted her head as he entered the den, quickly spotting the flowers he’d collected along the way home. She smiled, pushing herself to sit as she watched him prepare her meal. She swayed as she moved, weakened by the cold.

You know you are the best, she croaked, sounding much more like a frog than a wolf. And those flowers, even the blue ones! They’re beautiful—where did you find them?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Well hidden. They were under a hawthorn tree. He answered, parceling out one rabbit for her that he splayed with care, tearing in to it to make eating less work. As he finished he looked at her and smiled, and then drew closer to her, kissing her forehead.

I will show you when you are feeling better. A promise.

Kaluktuk withdrew to sit beside her, unafraid of the cold that had afflicted her. He watched her eat, and his mind wandered to Kivaluk, to the bride-price, and to the future.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Please do, she replied, her eyes shut as he kissed her forehead. When she opened them again, she noticed there was only one portion, and she frowned.

Nothing for you? she asked. You need to keep up your strength, too. She looked him up and down, concerned.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
She worried after him now, as a wife might. Getting in some good practice. The thought made him smile - although he still held a distracted look within his eyes; I am alright. I plan on patrolling later and if I catch anything, I will eat. His strength wasn't in question; but maybe that was what Ariadne thought, given their reception at Moonglow, and he felt his smile falter.

About... what your parents said, he began carefully, knowing that they both ached in different ways over that conversation, If you do not want to marry me, I understand. What Kukutux said of kinship ties, was not wrong. That you are my son's age — but the thought of Kivaluk now made him pause again, and he could not finish his words.

Kaluktuk looked upon Ariadne with such a sadness, then, and while he tried to stow it for her sake, he wasn't too successful. He was a grown man and had been married once before, he knew what it all entailed, and he was determined to get it right this time. But she was young, she had such freedom now.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Well, I will share if you find yourself hungry, Ariadne said. I do not think I can finish this all by myself. It is too much food! This wasn't a complaint; an overabundance of food was never bad, especially in wintertime. Hoping to tempt him, she slid the plate closer, hoping he'd take the bait and share it.

He had an undeniable heaviness and spoke on the thoughts that plagued his mind. She quickly frowned and shook her head, wishing to stop his thought. I am going nowhere, pikpaksiruk, she said; had she not made that obvious a few days ago? I do not care about any of that. What I do care about is you—you make me happy, and I want to be with you, she studied his face, searching and hating the profound sadness she saw. Still, She couldn't help but wonder, Did the conversation change things for you? she asked, her voice suddenly quiet. Are ... you no longer interested in me?
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He saw now that the doubts that her parents had voiced now rested inside of himself, and when he spoke it only spread them like an infection, going from him to Ariadne; and while he felt relief when she spoke, he saw she had grown nervous in the same way—so he hastily put those fears to rest. I didn't mean to make you think my mind had changed, or my heart. I want us to be together! I do. And now he closed the distance again and held her close, as if this physicality would remind the both of them of better things to alleviate the hurt left by Moonglow.

Your people—you, and your sisters, you are all so close with your mother. I always thought. He mused aloud with an arm around her, freeing up enough to let her eat if she wished, or to sit and listen couched against his chest. It seems an important thing. I do not want to come between you and your family; I have already done enough damage to my own. But you are my family—at least, I hope for us to be that, soon. They shared a village, now. They had shared one-another plenty of times. Now Kaluktuk was trying to share his deepest feelings and he struggled, but the effort was clear. He kissed her temple, as if to stop the bad thoughts that brewed in her mind.

Such was a witchcraft Kaluktuk did not believe in; but he wanted to kiss her, always, and often.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
His words were enough to quiet the concern that'd begun to fester in her mind, and she leaned closer and nuzzled into him with a hearty sigh. She had thought about the situation at length; they weren't as close as she'd thought. I felt that we were close, too, she admitted, unable to hide the sadness in her voice. But, I think that I was wrong—I think that my time away put distance between us all. She felt guilty; they were her family, and it hadn't been her intention to cause a rift.

I think they do not understand who I am or why I am doing what I do, and ... that's okay. They do not have to. Their understanding is not my responsibility, but it still hurt to let go; Ariadne shook her head, feeling tears gather. At the end of the day, my primary responsibilities are to my happiness and my village—both of which involve you. You make me happy, and I refuse to let you go because they do not approve.

But I will be diplomatic; village Moonsong is still a moonpack, and we will continue contributing and aiding no matter what. I will continue walking with Sedna while being true to myself.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The distance between parent and child was one that all children grew to notice, and then to outgrow in some way or another. Kaluktuk had outgrown his mother's influence and been fortunate enough to be far, far from her influence when it happened. In this case, with Kukutux, the woman was so strongly tied to her own traditions that it came as a detriment to those that came after her. Kaluktuk had never seen value in the spirits that she spoke of, as it seemed to him to be a way to avoid responsibility or to give away one's power to arbitrary forces. He was a hypocrite, of course; Kaluktuk had avoided his own share of responsibilities and run from his own problems in his way.

Ariadne was learning. She saw now that her choices would have consequences whenever her mother was involved; if her ideals and desires did not align perfectly with the moonwoman's, things would be strained. It was unavoidable. Kaluktuk saw the way it pained Ariadne and wasn't worried—she was a strong woman with a will of her own. She had come to this place to build a village and she had. Next she would marry who she chose, and keep the traditions that were important to her.

Kaluktuk was hopeful that he could bring parts of his world back to life, through her. He thought now of their future; and when she spoke the name Sedna he smiled, but only because she invoked the name of his mother and not a wayward spirit. You are glorious, Ariadne. You are growing in to a fine issumatar. This was a word he had not used for her before, perhaps had not spoken of in detail—and it slipped from him now, imagining their future.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She’d heard the word before, but it’d been a while since she’d heard it. Issumatar? she asked, cocking her head as a smile toyed on her lips. What does that mean? she asked.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The question earned a grin.

It is the word for the head of a Tartok village. They are warrior-women, and seek out strong men who will fight and die for her. She chooses a sangilak from those men to have her children. It is an honor to be chosen! He explained this, and his voice boomed, pleased to share these things with her and also proud of himself, as he felt chosen already.

An issumatar has total control of those in her village. Her word is law, and must be obeyed. Any rival women who wish to take her place must fight for the right; and her children, often they are afforded respect for their blood. In the case of my mother, she was always very tough towards them. It encourages women to disperse and form their own warband, I think.

Kaluktuk had said so much! He let the air calm now, hoping this had been informative without being frightening. Tartok was very different from what Ariadne knew.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
While Ariadne didn't consider herself a warrior woman, she did think she was mighty enough to control her village. So, she surmised with a grin, If I am issumatar, then you are sangilak? After all, she did intend to give birth to his children in the spring.

I do not think I am issumater in the way of Tartok, but I am the sunshine people's version, she admitted. I am not a good fighter, but I am mighty regardless. Then, an idea: It might not be bad for me to learn how to fight. When I'm healed, would you teach me how? she asked, figuring there would be time between her cast coming off and her pregnancy.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kaluktuk nosed at the fur of her neck and rumbled, Yes, I am sangilak until someone defeats me. He did not think anyone capable of it, or anyone who felt the need to fight for Ariadne; but her time had not come yet, and in the spring that might change.

As for her fighting, he chuckled against her and withdrew to look fondly upon her.

I could teach you. But I do not think you need to learn it unless you really wish it. Not all of Tartok's lessons need to join us here. Still, he held admiration in his heart for Ariadne's desire. Kaluktuk did want to bring much of Tartok here, even if he said otherwise.

He wanted to prove his blood was worth something.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne leaned into him with a laugh. Like that would ever happen! she mused, confident in his ability to defend himself and overtake any opposition. It looks like you will be sangilak for a long time. She was happy with that; she saw her future with him.

She pulled back as he did, a smile on her lips as she considered his words. I would like to—I want to be a strong anaa, like you will be a strong taataa. They will need good role models.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Ariadne would not be turned off of the idea, which was to the delight of Kaluktuk. Then I will make sure to teach you.

She spoke then of making them stronger together, so that they could be role models, and something within Kaluktuk shrank. He could not help but think of how he had failed Akkuma first, and then Kivaluk, and lost Sakhmet. He had thought himself in love; he had thought he was a good father while it had lasted, and that his sons would become like him — yet, that did not come to pass.

They will learn from their mother, and from those of the village. He did not deny what she said, because he agreed; but he did not consider himself good enough to fill that role yet. At least there would be many others from which they could learn.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
It will be a good excuse to get my paws all over you, she remarked with a coy grin that faded as soon as she began to speak again. But knowing how to defend myself will also be good. I know you will be close by, but I am concerned about my season coming —I have heard horror stories from other women about men forcing themselves onto them. She cringed at the thought; it had been in her mind for a while.

Kaluktuk's answer caused her frown to deepen, and she hesitantly placed a paw on his. You have much to teach them, too, she assured him, searching his face. We will all help them grow and learn.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,204 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
He felt her paw upon his, and heard her words; but instead he focused on those that came first, and reached down to kiss her wrist, and smiling, reached for her to kiss her face. You will be safe with me.

The thought of anyone trying to bring harm to Ariadne, or that someone might try to take what they wanted out of her, incited him with a flicker of rage and possession; but he was confident they had found a safe place for the village. He knew himself to be strong and capable to keep her safe, and he knew Ariadne was strong of will and capable to protect herself.

In time he would teach her to fight. She would learn to see the strength of her own body.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Post 400 for you!

She looked up at him, smiling. I know—my sangilak is the strongest wolf that I know. And she knew Sunman! I will not leave the territory without you when it is time, she promised.