Dragoncrest Cliffs I put my hands in the fire
Sapphique
Tanzanite*
747 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Master Bard
Not children? So when had they become adults? Chacal was surprised at that statement; she didn't consider herself to be an adult. Teenager, sure- but not an adult. There had been no announcement, no celebration, nothing- as far as Chacal knew, she wouldn't be an adult until she was 9 months of age and while that was only weeks away, it didn't mean that she was an adult now. Valravn had been given a rank higher than hers, so if anything, he was the one who was older, and he was the one who could have had more expectations, but asking him to swim when he clearly wasn't comfortable seemed wrong. Shouldn't the real adults in this situation simply have accepted that they'd chosen a task that wouldn't endanger his life? Or did it matter more for the wolves to be pitted against one another in a swimming competition regardless of the fact that some might drown?

Her ears flattened when her mother said they'd both been welcomed. Chacal shook her head furiously. No, she hadn't been included, at first. She'd been excluded. Other wolves- noticeably, three male wolves had been chosen to run. Njord, Merlin and Valravn. This had not escaped Chacal's notice. The first choice had been them- and she had been omitted, which had made her angry. Despite everything that had happened- with Raleska, Rosencrantz and Kaertok being killed, with Solaire and Arcelia and Regin missing- she had stayed, and had continued to persevere. Was that not enough? Or had her sisters done the right thing and left before they could be left out?

When her mother told her to prove that she wanted to participate, she scowled and yowled a string of words jumbled and tumbled together into a stream of spiteful, exasperated nonsense. How could her mother not see that she'd wanted to participate? She had been standing on the shoreline as eager to participate as any of the others- but had wilted when she'd been told she wasn't chosen. So she tried to accuse her mother of fabricating an idea of her that wasn't true- but none of it got across, and it infuriated her. She growled. It wasn't fair that she had been left out of the running. She had been with the pack longer than either Njord or Merlin or Vex or Haunt. But she had been tossed out of the running, why? Because she couldn't speak? It was the only solution she could come up with. 

And she had stood with her brother in solidarity. If their mothers would make a sport of choosing who was worthy of leadership, and in such a way that could cost them their son's life, then she would certainly have nothing to do with it. 

The discrimination left her with a burning feeling in her chest, that threatened to spill over into sadness. She pressed her muzzle against Valravn's shoulders and held her breath so she might try and hide away the shame of knowing she was different, and that she was now being judged because of it.
It can be assumed that if Chacal is speaking, she will be singing. Her speaking patterns will always have a melodic quality to them.
Messages In This Thread
I put my hands in the fire - by Rosalyn - February 23, 2021, 06:10 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Chacal - February 23, 2021, 06:14 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Rosalyn - February 23, 2021, 06:31 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Chacal - February 23, 2021, 06:51 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Val - February 26, 2021, 02:41 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Rosalyn - February 26, 2021, 05:26 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Chacal - February 28, 2021, 12:20 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Val - March 06, 2021, 10:38 AM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Rosalyn - March 07, 2021, 01:45 AM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Chacal - March 11, 2021, 01:12 PM
RE: I put my hands in the fire - by Val - March 21, 2021, 08:39 AM