The Heartwood Omak
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Maybe @Ariadne ?

The pathmaker paused at the edge of the wood. Plum eyes followed the mountain range to familiar shapes, peaks that he had known and walked. Moonspear and Moonglow had not diminished in his time away. They stood as magnificent reminders of those who had claimed them.

Kannoyak had not intended to return. His role as pathmaker had pushed him to forge new routes, outside of the Teekon territories. The white hunter had spent the winter in the frigid northern mountain range. He’d hunted with a group of wolves - buffalo hunters - and he had learned many things from them before he’d departed.

Familiarity had lured him back.

Kannoyak lifted his head and howled, hoping that his voice might be recognized by someone from the Moon villages.
Moonglow
Delta
writing letters addressed to the fire
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne was nearby when Kannoyak howled, and she immediately dropped what she was doing to answer his call. Although it'd been some time, she could never forget the man who had helped save her leg, and she was pleasantly surprised to hear his voice.

-I am coming to you!- she howled, a laugh lifting the end of her words as she started towards him.

It did not take her long to track him down, and when he came into sight, she greeted him with a giant grin and a wagging tail. Kannoyak! she called, closing the distance between them. It is so good to see your face!
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A singing voice replied to him. On the notes of her voice was something he recognized, though the white hunter struggled to place her name. It was familiar and so he did not wander from the place where he had called to them. The pale figure stood, a stalwart statue against a backdrop of dark woodland.

Much to his surprise, it was a familiar shape that found him. Her eyes were bright and her gait was strong, healthy. Kannoyak watched the woman approach, admiring the confidence of her steps. She looked well. This was pleasing to the man.

Moongirl, his deep voice was offered with reverence. You have healed very well.

The man’s plum gaze was warm upon her.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I have, she confirmed, looking him up and down, noticing how well he looked, too. And you! her heart fluttered! Why was it doing that? You look like you've been doing well, too!

She had so many questions, but one stood prominently in the forefront of her mind: You went away ... where did you go? Had he been here this whole time? Or off on some grand adventure?
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Kannoyak stood tall at her words, chest filling with air in a display of pride. The white hunter was strong and healthy. He had traveled far and the journey had shaped him into a capable man. Bonds had been made with the buffalo hunters in the north. He had no regrets for this decision and he was pleased that the moongirl did not seem to hold it against him.

This one traveled to the frozen north. Ran with the buffalo hunters and taught them to make paths and trade with the village in the snow.

The pale man smiled at Ariadne. It was a great relief to see someone familiar and kind. He did not know how he might express this sentiment. A wave of his plush tail, the crinkle near the edges of his eyes would be the only sign.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
He spoke of his time in the north, and for a minute, Ariadne wondered if they could've possibly crossed paths. Do you remember the name of the village in the snow? she asked, clearly curious; her eyes were bright, her posture taut, and her tail slowly waved behind her.

I went north, too, and was with a village in the snow ...
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Had they met the same wolves?

Kannoyak leaned in, interest drawn in the lines of his face. The intensity of his plum gaze was fixed to the bright eyes of his companion. The moongirl had grown into a lovely woman. It was good to see that her broken leg had not resulted in a permanent problem.

They spoke in a language that is not shared. A hunter who spoke this man’s language said they are called sighima. Did Moongirl meet the sighima wolves?

Did she hunt with them in the deep snow? Kannoyak had seen the buffalo near the frozen lake and he had been awestricken at their size and might. It had been an honor to run with the village of the snow.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
“They spoke in a language that is not shared. A hunter who spoke this man’s language said they are called sighima. Did Moongirl meet the sighima wolves?” Kannoyak asked.

Ariadne shook her head. No, she answered. The village I was with was a village called Tartok—they are my husband’s people. Her face twisted, and she frowned in disappointment, sighed, and glanced away. They are ... an interesting bunch. Very strong-willed and tough. She cleared her throat and idly drew one of her forepaws to her ear to scratch an itch that suddenly flared.

Did you enjoy your time with the sighima? What were they like? she asked, preferring not to speak of her husband’s people.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Tartok, the man repeated.

They are not familiar to this one.

She went on to describe them as being strong-willed and fierce. It was curious to see her expression shift as she spoke of them. Many wolves of the northern territories were proud and hardy. He had hunted with many villages in the snowy region and had eaten with a few men who wielded their strength as a weapon.

Kannoyak wished to ask more about her life, about her marriage to the man from the fierce-wolf village. She pressed with questions about the village in the snow that he had visited and so he could not deny her an answer.

They were kind. That is important to this one… They are strong in their spirit and they hunt with wild laughter. Good wolves, he offered her, wishing he could introduce the moongirl to the wolves of sighima.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She wasn't surprised to hear that he wasn't familiar with Tartok. She'd only known of them through Kigipigak; they weren't common in this region and were more established the further north you went.

He went on to describe the wolves that he'd stayed with, and she smiled. They sound like good wolves, she agreed. I like that they hunt with wild laughter—good-natured fun is important. They seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the wolves of Tartok; maybe she'd meet them one day.

While she wanted to know everything about his adventures, a more pressing question burned in her mind. What brought you down here? she asked, quickly adding with a laugh: That is, if you don't mind me asking!
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man nodded his agreement. The village in the snow had been a good place for him to work, at least for a short time. The winter months were a challenge for their kind. The snows were deep and the prey had scattered under the threat of an aggressive bear. Kannoyak had been honored to assist them and to help them establish trade with the village nearest to their own.

Ariadne asked what had brought him back to the territories that surrounded the moon villages. The cotton grass man blinked, expression thoughtful. It was a good question. He only feared that he did not have an acceptable answer.

It is where this man’s legs carried him.

The smile returned to his dark lips and he laughed - a soft, rich sound.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
“It is where this man’s legs carried him.” Kannoyak answered with a hearty and infectious laugh. She caught the giggles, laughing at the answer, and allowed herself to express herself freely until it died out.

I guess you could say the same for me, she said, looking down at her legs. My legs carried me back to my anaa’s home. It isn’t too far from here, she glanced over her shoulder toward home before speaking again. You remember Moonglow, right? she asked.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The girl’s laugh only widened Kannoyak’s grin, carrying it to his eyes and squinting them. The flag of his tail nearly had the force to sway his hips. What a lovely laugh, the moongirl had. And the white hunter felt blessed that she might share her company with him.

At the mention of her home, the man lifted his gaze to the mountain and nodded.

And spear and tide. The moon villages, his deep voice rumbled, reverent when speaking of the three groups. This one spoke of the wolves of the moon many times in his travels. Maybe this is why his paws were eager to return.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She felt like a yearling again! His words were like an electric spark to her heart, and she broke into girlish laughter as he mentioned why his paws may have been eager to return. You are always welcome! she assured him. I know that I would like to see you more, she admitted, perhaps more boldly than she should've given her marital status.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Kannoyak did not read into the words she offered. He was a simple man and so he took her words in such a way that did not suggest anything more. It would have been wrong to assume otherwise, he might have said. The cotton grass man had an honorable nature and a good heart.

The moongirl may see this man whenever she wishes, he promised with a bow of his head, ears flattening to his skull.

When did you wed the Tartok man? He is strong-willed like his village? Kannoyak tilted his head in query. Husbands like that were sought after. They were providers and protectors. They could keep their family safe with the strength of their bodies.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She smiled. You may see me whenever you want to, too. Her heart leaped at her boldness! Aya!

Her excitement died when he asked of her husband, and soon, a frown replaced her grin. We wed back in the winter, she began with a sigh. He is very strong-willed and rigid, in ways that she didn't particularly care for—especially when it came to his beliefs. He does not believe in the Sunshine ways, and ... it is hard. Her unhappiness was palpable. But he is a good apaa to our children, and he is kind to me, the words were wistful as if she was trying not to speak ill of him. He had many good qualities. It was just that the bad outweighed the good, in her opinion.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Good.

The earnest tone of his voice would tell her that he was pleased. It was good to know that he could still be close with the wolves of the moon. The white hunter thought it curious that he might be drawn back to their hunting grounds. The pathmaker was always to move forward and yet…

Ariadne spoke of her husband. Kannoyak’s brow was creased with concern. Her tone suggested tension that he didn’t understand. She spoke of him as though loving him caused her pain. This felt strange, settling in the white hunter’s belly.

Do you love him, moongirl? Was it not as simple as that?
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Kannoyak's question should've been simple enough—a yes or no could've sufficed. But, unfortunately, it was more complicated than that.

Not anymore, she answered quietly, averting her gaze. I was young and foolish when we fell in love, and I thought that I could be with a man whose views were radically different than mine ... but circumstances had changed her beliefs on that; she needed a man who could at least participate in the Sunshine ways. But growing up and becoming an anaa has taught me many things ... and I have different priorities in life. I have my family, and my people, and ... she needed to belong. She needed someone who was also accepted.

She couldn't meet his gaze—she was too worried of what he thought of all of this.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The white hunter listened as she confessed her truth to him. It seemed terribly complicated. The longer he listened, the less he understood. There would be no chance to offer her words of support. He didn’t know how to speak on subjects of the heart. The cotton grass man had never asked a woman to be his wife. He had not considered it before, though he had found himself attracted to a few.

Does your husband know this?

Was there nothing she could do to repair it? Kannoyak thought that any good man would sacrifice some of their hardened will for the benefit of their family. He did not know the ways of the Tartok wolves though. They could value different things and behave in different ways.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She shook her head. Not yet, she admitted. I am still trying to build up the courage to tell him. I do not want to hurt him, but I am thinking that I might not be able to avoid that ...

She looked up at him as she trailed and laughed dryly. You probably think I am awful, she said, shaking her head.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The longer Moongirl waits, the more difficult it will be.

When she spoke on his thoughts, Kannoyak’s head shook. His features were tight with confusion, wondering. The man did not understand how she could arrive to such a conclusion based only on their short conversation. Marriage was a loving agreement between two beings. He was not so simple that he didn’t understand there would be challenges to face.

This one would never think such a thing.

Kannoyak’s plum stare was fixed to her young face.

Do not say these things. Speak to your husband. Moongirl will feel better.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
"The longer Moongirl waits, the more difficult it will be." Kannoyak said, and Ariadne knew he was right.

It will, she agreed; everything would be more difficult the longer she waited.

She felt immense relief when he revealed that he would never think such a thing about her. Thank you, Kannoyak, she breathed, meeting his stare. And I will—soon. I just need to speak to my anaa first.
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man nodded. He was a patient soul and while he had little understanding for her situation, he felt that he could offer her a listening ear and a few words of encouragement. Anyone in such trouble should be entitled to that. It was not much to offer but it came from somewhere heartfelt and earnest.

The Moonwoman will have good insight, he thought aloud. The girl’s mother was a good woman with a good heart. She had made a bustling village with her family, and even the villages surrounding were comprised of her kin. That Ariadne would seek her thoughts on the matter made sense.

This one hopes that you will find peace soon.
Moonglow
Delta
716 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Thank you, she breathed, smiling softly. She is—I know she will know what to do.

So, Kannoyak, she asked next, tilting her head; she was desperate to get to a new subject. Where do you think your paws will take you next? she asked. There is always room in Moonglow if you need somewhere to go ...
Moonglow
Theta
220 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The girl asked about his plans, suggesting that there was room in her mother’s village for him. The thought had already crossed his mind, though he carried a great hesitance with it. The life of a pathmaker was not a peaceful one, lived at home among family. Yet Kannoyak longed for something stable, something that would give him reason to return.

This one believes it is time to settle. To find a wife and have a family. Kannoyak would be a good pathmaker to the moon villages. This one has become a trader.

Perhaps if one of their moonhomes would allow him to do this work, he could belong to them. The man was a skilled hunter. Even if they did not desire a pathmaker, he could make himself useful by filling their bellies with plump meat.