Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Read Only 
Kigipigak marched to the outskirts of the village, climbing up the spine to where Moonglow began, but he did not cross in to the village. His intent was to visit his children but he wasn't sure he was welcome - despite all that Ariadne had promised - and, it turned out to be fortuitous as he waited there deciding.

The scent of ice and sea crept in to his attention; as he looked around, he saw a masculine shape following the path behind him, moving with a slight lag, and when their eyes met Kigipigak was the one to call out, I greet you. I have not seen your face here before.

The other man, a dusky wolf of tawny shades and grays, stopped to observe before answering, It has been so long you forget your family? Cousin.

Surprise lit Kigipigak's face; the man earned a new investigatory once-over and yes, he did know that face. It was older than he remembered. ...Sikuyasi. I am sorry, I never expected— but then he was cut off by that strong voice.

Your mother is dead. I was sent to find you. Sedna's warband has gone to her grand-daughter, Amutchiaq. Not all are happy to see it. The man called Sikuyasi gave a short pause while Kigipigak reeled to this news.

Will you return? Your banishment has lifted with her death; you carry her strong blood, and could face Amutchiaq in akisaurriñiq.

No. Kigipigak did not know if he was refusing the call, or rebelling against the idea of his mother being gone; but either way, he resisted and became rigid, watching this cousin with a focus that he barely felt. The other man looked stunned a moment and then insisted, I could call you home. We are Tartok, I am elder—

With a snap of his teeth Kigipigak was crowding close. I said no! Tartok has already cost me much. I will not return with you. Let the woman have her way; do not come here again.

After a stare-down, the other man pulled away and shook the tension from his shoulders. He gave Kigipigak a nod, although held a narrow-eyed gaze as he tried to make sense of this. His job was over—he was only meant to track this man down and relay the message. Now he would return north, and see what became of this refusal.

As Kigipigak watched him go, he lingered a few more minutes upon the edge of Moonglow and wondered if he had made the correct choice.
Inupiaq. · Common.