Panther Park you gonna get more than you bargained for tonight
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
@Nikai timelines and locations be danged?  idk if arcturus is still technically at the coast with the search expedition if so OOOPS maybe this can be a nebulously dated thread...

their expedition for revui brought the party back inland, and arcturus, having long since lost hope in finding his brother, was currently climbing a distant peak that peered into the flatlands. it was here he was hoping to stand at the summit, and look down on the lowlands beneath him, as if by climbing to such a vantage he would easily and somehow see revui ambling along in the distance.

he was so tired, and he missed home. but revui was still out there, and so, he kept looking - even if he felt like now the task was hopeless, and that maybe revui didn't want to be found. all the same, it was just another ingrained habit to him - to always be looking, to always keep moving..

he managed to reach one of the last tablets of stones that was passable on the panther park's peak, and glancing down below him, he saw nothing but endless white broken occasionally by blue scars of wintered earth. no revui, and no prey in sight.

just as he had come to expect.
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
i'm all for flexible timelines ;-)

Nikai tried to polish his skills of climbing a bit -- it was tricky, with the leg. Mostly ledges and uneven ground were his biggest enemy, so if he'd run into a wall where another might be able to shuffle by, Nikai just couldn't take the risk. He didn't have the fourth leg to catch him if he'd slip. He would just fall. Alya had known he could never live on her family's mountain, but Nikai felt the urge to prove himself. He'd always been one to step up to challenges and wanting to improve himself, to do what he could for those around him. And he felt he needed to do this for Alya. The journey across the mountains had been tough. Too tough, Nikai decided. So he set out for the Sunspire mountains.

It was surprising that he should find another wolf out in the mountains, seemingly looking down at the snow-blanketed valleys. Nikai approached from behind. Not wanting to startle the other, Nikai chuffed and called out in a friendly voice: Hiya! Then he approached, a smile on his face, his body neutral and intent on showing he meant no harm. He was weary from climbing, his muscles screaming, so Nikai could use a break and meet someone new.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
one thing arcturus had never quite learned to expect, was the sudden approach of another wolf. in moonspear, he largely kept to his family only - wolves did not simply walk up to him in that icy reach, and he was inexperienced enough with outside jaunts to come to expect greetings from passerbys. as it was he jolted slightly as he heard a voice, and turning around, caught the freckled expression of an older wolf before him.

the speckles on his face was the first thing arcturus noticed -- followed by the glaring absence of a hind limb. his ears fell back in surprise, and he wanted to ask - what happened to your leg? but he was still uncollected from being surprised moments before. taking a few seconds to ritualistically examine nikai, his stump, his features, his positive body language, arcturus at last managed an obviously labored and loquacious reply.

"hullo."

so garrulous, really.
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Woops, it seemed he'd startled the wolf before him. Nikai smiled apologetically as the wolf looked at his face, his leg, and looked in surprise. The following question was much expected, but somehow didn't come. Nikai found something familiar in the face of the boy he faced, as if they somehow knew each other from before, or they should. Maybe something of himself he found in that face, or maybe something of Alya (or maybe both). He wasn't too sure what it was. All he knew was that he had an oddly "big brother" vibe going on with this boy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, Nikai said with an apologetic grin. Are you from a nearby pack?
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
nikai's apology was met with an idle shrug - arcturus would get over it, but it was nice that nikai had offered apology in the first place. most wolves probably would have teased the boy for being such a fraidy cat.

because something about nikai also resonated as familiar with arcturus, the boy didn't struggle to answer this time. "moonspear." he motioned to the cresting peak that sat in the distance, a glimmer of pride in his gaze as he turned back to nikai. maybe it was because nikai's features seemed so benign -- or perhaps because something about the freckled face kindled a sense of recognition in arcturus -- either way, the boy felt more at ease in front of nikai than he had in front of other strangers.

yet being at ease was not the same as having conversation come naturally to him. reminding himself that he was not a boy any longer (he was - but what kind believes themselves a child?), arcturus cleared his throat and attempted a cordial "you?"
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Moonspear, he mentioned, and the pack instantly rang a bell. Maybe that was why the boy came so familiar and felt a little like a brother instantly; he must be one of Alya's brothers! With a giddy smile Nikai said (not even contemplating anyone might be sour about him taking Alya from Moonspear), Oh! Are you one of Alya's brothers?

With the smile still on his face Nikai went on to explain: I'm from Easthollow, to the -- well -- the east. I grew up there but after traveling for some time I just returned and moved there with Alya.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus’ ears perked at the mention of alya, eliciting a secondary study of the male before him. he had known his sister had left the mountain, same as revui had — the very idea seemed untenable to him. 

his gaze had lost its suspicious tint, though it seemed replaced by some inscrutable expression. arcturus, not wishing to disappoint the man his sister had chosen, was now overcome with quiet anxiety he might come across rude or coarse. oh, he murmured, struggling for what to say. does she miss moonspear?
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
There was a change in demeanor when Nikai explained his relations to the boy, though Nikai found it hard to pinpoint what it was exactly. He only said 'oh' at first before responding with a question eventually. Though Alya didn't say so all too often Nikai knew that she truly missed the mountain. She does, he said. It was a surprise to me when she agreed to come live at Easthollow with me. Can I tell you a secret? I'm out here because I want to train my body to be more... Adaptive to mountain terrain. Just in case she'll want to return some day. Or claim her own mountain, he thought to himself, but decided not to share.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus could barely bite back the slight bitterness that tinged his mouth. everyone eventually left the mountain it seemed, not even caring about their family. he wanted to say this aloud, but he knew it was unkind -- and nikai of all wolves did not deserve to have arcturus' clumsy rage directed at him.

he settled at the mention of alya returning to the mountain. "good, that's her home." he said rather pointedly, immediately regretting the insinuation that had been implied. "but i guess it's good you're.. training. i could show you, if you want." before long the bitterness had faded to benevolence, for it was not nikai's fault his sister had left them.
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The pointedness of the response wasn't lost on Nikai. He frowned at it, but didn't comment. This boy must simply be missing his sister, as Nikai could imagine. He'd missed Easthollow and his family much when they were apart and though Alya had chosen Easthollow for now -- and more importantly, they'd chosen each other -- the place they could be could change in time still. He might have to say good bye to Easthollow and his family there again at some point in the future.

He decided to get over his seeming bitterness and even offered to teach a bit about mountain terrain. I'd like that, Nikai said with a smile. I'm Nikai, by the way. As he realised that they had never exchanged names.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus had never been one for cordiality, and so it hadn't occurred to him they had forgotten to exchange names. perhaps in the heat of learning this was the male that his sister had chosen, arcturus forgot what little mannerisms he had. he paused as nikai introduced himself, fixing his sights on the male with a bemused but short smile. "arcturus."

he then turned and began to make his ascent uphill, not unlike a mountain goat as he tested wobbly stones and leapt from rock to rock with careless abandon. "how much do you want to do today?"
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai nodded as the boy introduced himself as Arcturus. He then followed as Arcturus started making his way up the mountain. The question came as a bit of a surprise -- Nikai didn't really think about how much he wanted to do. He wanted to do as much as he could handle, but Nikai's experience was he never found out about that until he actually got there. And he wasn't too sure he wanted it any other way.

We'll see how much I can handle when we get there, Nikai thus answered, not really giving a clear answer. I've never been a mountain climber, though. He remembered the trek down from Moonspear to Easthollow, when they took the jagged peaks. Alya'd felt so guilty when he was all tired, but he didn't regret it one bit. Still, it was good to keep in mind that he had little experience, and a leg missing to boot.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus was mindful of setting a fair pace as they ascended the steep outcropping. nikan was at a disadvantage he did not want to exploit - he was not used to mountaineering, and he was of course missing a limb.

how had he lost that leg anyway? the question lingered at the tip of arcturus's tongue but he hastily stowed it away. surely, nikan was tired of answering that question.

"well it's not just climbing up," arcturus murmured, turning around as he watched nikan pick his way up to him. "it can be just as hard getting down too, sometimes.  so i usually only go until i am half-tired. cause when you are tired, you make mistakes. and making a mistake downhill can be dangerous."
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai nodded as Arcturus explained what was the best way to go about it. It seemed smart enough, and Nikai felt that that was where one of the problems they encountered on the way to Easthollow came from. They'd needed to take a break in the middle of the mountains because he was just too tired to go on (and luckily, Alya had sensed that from him).

That sounds like a smart way to go about it, Nikai shared as they started their climb. I'll try to keep in mind how tired I'm feeling so we can get down again on time.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
the man nodded, showing he was receptive to arcturus’ suggestion. many times the boy had been too bold uphill, only to find the descent was far more daunting when exhaustion nipped at his heels. 

he continued clambering upwards, pausing occasionally to apprise nikai’s condition. each time he stopped, he glanced over the male with patience; it was almost as if arcturus had taken it upon himself to conduct nikai’s ascent, and he did so with grave determination.
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It seemed almost a little like the big brother feelings that Nikai had for Arcturus were turned around when the ascent began, as Arcturus seemed a patient -- though not very vocal -- teacher who kept checking in with him various times to see how he was doing. Nikai didn't want Arcturus to know that he was tired, so kept going a bit longer than maybe he should've, but eventually he decided: We should head back. His legs were already aching, especially his right front leg that was diagonal to his missing limb, as it received extra pressure this way. His muscles screamed, but he told himself he would be alright going down again; he had to be, anyway.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus kept a slender ear pulled back as they made their way uphill, ready to halt as soon as he heard nikai speak. alright the boy rejoined, free of any judgment. climbing uphill was hard work for any soul, especially one with missing limbs — arcturus was impressed nikai had made it this far without once complaining. 

he waited for nikai to turn around before he started descending himself; the going was just as carefully planned downhill as it was going uphill — arcturus took into consideration nikai’s difficulties, and often picked paths of least resistance.
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
As he stood still Nikai could feel his limbs ache, and he wished he'd said something earlier. He turned around as Arcturus agreed to his proposal of heading back. While the climb down was less of a strain on his muscles when it came to strength, it required a lot more when it came to balance and Nikai immediately felt the pressure as he started descending. Without complaint he pressed on down the mountain again.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus held his pace, keeping an ear focused on nikai behind him. he could tell, even though nikai did not say anything, that the older wolf was struggling. he felt a bit sorry for him, but arcturus kept his eyes ahead for most of the trail back, not wanting to make nikai feel uncomfortable by being pitied.. he probably got a lot of that already, and arcturus did not want to contribute to it.

when at last they reached more level ground, arcturus felt tired too. his tongue was lolling, and his muscles buzzed with tiredness. turning to the tripod behind, arcturus boasted a genteel smile rare for his dark features. "quite a hike," he offered noncomittally, glancing up the slope they had ascended and then descended together. "you do this a few times a week, and you'll grow stronger."
send my soul away
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai was grateful that Arcturus did not say anything, positive or negative alike. He'd heard most of it already and Nikai didn't really have the energy to spare to have a conversation either. He was glad when they reached level ground again. His muscles burned but he was sure it was for the best in the end. He'd make sure to practise, so that he could more easily accompany Alya in the mountains. Nikai still feared ever moving to Alya's home, knowing it was out of his league as a place to live, but he'd practise so he could impress her when they visited.

Thanks for the help, Nikai said with a wave of his tail. I'll make sure to practise for when we visit Moonspear.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus had never been one for meaningless talk, so he waited for nikai’s move, his gaze obliquely roving the distant peaks. the male’s gratitude was met with a dip of his skull. no problem, the ostrega responded, having found he enjoyed nikai’s company. many wolves would have been undone by a loss of limb, but nikai was resilient in the face of challenge which earned the young moonspearian’s respect. 

until next time. the boy imparted  by way of farewell, watching as nikai limped off before he too returned home, his muscles weary but mind content.
send my soul away