Witch's Marsh but at least i've got you in my head
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
All Welcome 
@Kukulkan + @Ibis, whichever (or both!)

It could have been mistaken for ash brought over from the Taiga, but as it began its slow descent, Bhediya realized that it was snow. The flakes were small and melted almost immediately, never forming a true blanket over the marsh. A hint of worry tainted her awe as she wondered when her winter coat might finish growing in. 

To keep warm, Bhediya resigned to sunbathing for as long as the days would allow. Typically, this was done beside a wilted patch of pickleweed that grew from a shallow pond. The ascetic sighed and laid back, allowing the sparse rays to settle atop her skin.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It was snowing. It was snowing! Thin flakes mixed with the ground fog creeping up to the marsh from the south; but it was there, and Ibis stared at the open expanse in awe of it. She was enthralled, enchanted. Even though the marsh wasn't the most ideal of places she was eager to see the change take place as winter took over. It would be another few weeks before winter properly hit - this was a very early snow, she realized - but it was a hint at what was to come. Ibis couldn't have been happier!

Or, so she thought, until she remembered -- Okeanos. And she thought of the shallow ponds across the marsh and how dangerous they might become in the cold. The conversation with Sarah was weighing on her mind now; she had thought there would be more time to consider their options. The good mood brought on by the snowfall was promptly discarded, melting away, and she began to saunter through the marsh on a patrol -- but paused, seeing Bhediya a little ways off, basking in the pale light.

Bhediya! She called as she closed the distance, and as she came up alongside the woman she reclined to her haunches, watching the snow a little bit longer. Isn't it so pretty? I love snow! How childish, how innocent, how stupid.
the phoenix prince
64 Posts
Ooc — Etkri
[Image: banner_by_etkri-dc1tt1y.jpg]

Oh gods. Not again.
It was starting again.

Kukulkan was completely happy resigning himself to the shelter of the trees and their canopies as the damp chill moved in, making way for absolute silence and finally it. The gentle white flurries. The southern boy was not a fan of this fact of the north, it smelled different and teased as though it could not dampen him but always managed to. It was deceptive and bone-chilling but in the most terribly subtle of ways, until it was no longer subtle.

At least in the south when something was going to kill you, or try to, you knew damn well it was coming.

With his shoulders hunched and his fur puffed and bristled, the large wolf shivered moreso out of distaste than true coldness as the clouds shed its nasty dandruff onto the ground, where it then decided to melt. Gross. For the most part the branches that stretched up and entangled themselves caught a fair amount of the snow, but seeing as most of the leaves had found their way to the floor, K was still as exposed as ever. Big and burly and hotblooded as he may be, he truly, truly hated snows.

That latent bitterness was starting to sink in deep, until a familiar voice echoed somewhere out in the soft white distance. His ears perked up, eyes finally opening from their stubborn squinting, as he scanned the marsh for a few seconds before catching glimpse of Ibis. Had it not been for her moving, he might have missed her mostly-white form against the blend of snow. Picking his legs up quickly, the brute hurried after her, huffs and puffs of hot air steaming from his lips as he did so.

By the time he caught up, he had noticed the other one - a black female laid out against some bedrocks - but he had not arrived in time to catch her name. Instead he heard "Isn't it so pretty? I love snow!" and felt a shiver wave down his spine as his limbs tensed to keep warm, as though in doing so he could will the snows to avoid collecting on his fur altogether.

"Heya Ibis, an'...?" His bright eyes settled on the stranger, leaving that question hanging for half a second before letting out a dramatic brrrr and shaking his pelt to let loose any accumulated melted crystals. "Wish I could say the'same heh, ain't really a fan of'all this..." An odd chuckle as he finished it off, his playful tone accented by that crooked smile.

And to gracefully top it off, a rather clunky snowflake managed to find its way to his nose as he inhaled, leaving him to sneeze most horrendously and shoot himself back a step as he tried to recover. Fuck this snow.

@Ibis @Bhediya
[Image: murdermuffin666_by_etkri-dc1wf3p.png]
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
The median between the two was where Bhediya stood, impartial about the incoming winter. There was a threat being posed to their group, but most of them were young and able; there was no cause for true worry yet. It didn't seem that Ibis was concerned, at least. It is pretty, Bhe replied with a smile. It would be even prettier later in the season, hopefully once they'd found a more appropriate claim. 

The ascetic stood and brushed against Ibis's shoulder, a loud chuff emanating from her chest as she caught sight of the brute. There was a moment of concern, though it was quickly quieted. Bhediya, she replied, figuring that he was another friend. You'd better get used to it, then. Winters here are rarely easy.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The last time Ibis had experienced winter had been difficult, but she'd been young enough for the most difficult parts to fade away in the background. She saw the flurries of white through rose tinted glasses, so to speak. It was like watching dandelion seeds dancing in the wind - except there were so many of them! And as they fell they didn't do it in a straight line, eddying with the slightest shift in the wind. The dancing bits of ice dappled her shoulders and gathered on the top of her head; she grinned up at the sky, chuckling softly and watching as her breath puffed and dissipated above her head.

A crunching sound broke the calm of the moment, and Ibis looked to where it came from, seeing Kukulkan. She felt her smile grow a bit warmer upon recognizing him and then scooted over a bit to accommodate his bulky shape alongside the pair of vastly more petite women; Kukulkan did not sound very pleased with this subtle chilling of the clouds or the resulting weather, but that didn't dampen Ibis' mood at all.

Winters are rarely easy. The woman cautioned — and while Ibis trusted her, believed her wisdom came from years of experience, she couldn't look at the beautiful display with any seriousness. Deep down she knew that the famine would make things more difficult right off the bat, which was a sobering thought. Well, I like it. Everything gets cold but not too cold, and quiet, like magic. I can't wait to see what the marsh looks like covered in snow! God, she was just like a little kid waiting for a snowy Christmas — utterly insufferable with her good cheer.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
@Kukulkan is inactive atm and this thread has been open forever! i'm going write in an exit for bhe.

it was refreshing to hear such hopeful ideations of the coming season. bhediya found the childlike cheer to be contagious; soon enough, she too was caught up in her imagination. envisioning their little home covered in a blanket of snow. 

still, she could not shake the feeling of uneasiness. i'm going to check around, see if there's anyone else around. i'll see you guys later. bhe made her way toward the marsh's exit in search of potential packmates.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Good call! I can wrap it.

Bhediya made her introduction, but she was removing herself swiftly in the next moment—not that Ibis blamed her. The woman's desire to roam was something Ibis could identify with. There would be time in the future for everyone to get acquainted and to really form connections; for now it made sense to keep moving, to keep active. So she watched her go, the shape of her friend's small figure diminishing until there was nothing but the falling snow and Kukulkan to keep her company.

With a sigh Ibis offered, I'll show you around a bit. There's some places that might not even get snow! The marsh was a well fortified forest in some places, and Ibis imagined these areas would be snow-free. It would be nice to explore with someone alongside her for a change; though her cheeks warmed at the idea of being alone with Kukulkan again. Maybe along the way she could learn more about Kukulkan's southern home?

The boy seemed accepting of this proposal; together they'd march through the marsh, talk some, and maybe find somewhere for the giant to shelter himself if the gathered wolves were set-upon by the colder weather.