Neverwinter Forest In another world far away
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
Preference for pack members & possible joiners, but technically AW. :P

Stretch.  The cold rain had tapered off and so Mal had made his way back to the borders again.  There were some other places he needed to patrol to make sure that the borders were fresh -- most of the territory was well marked, but by the time he'd patched up what was muddled by storms it was time to go back to the beginning again.  Sure, at least there were packmates who could follow up behind him, but as the leader, he felt that he needed to make sure that his own markings were strongest.  At times he wondered if maybe he should have someone else help him officially and all that, but at the same time... Did anyone really want to?  Nah, it was his responsibility.

He shook out his fur, sending water and pine needles flying.  He'd waited out a downpour but now he was a few yards from the border, crossed that distance with ease, and took a whizz on the trunk of the outermost tree of the forest in the area.  Convenient post-nap bathroom break and border marking combo done, he strolled along the slight divot in the snow that had been taken by others patrolling, nose scanning for signs of anything suspicious.  Not here.  He looked outward to the land beyond.  Nothing in that glance.  Up to the next tree, stretching to scrape his claws across the bark of the trunk.  Just business as usual.  As he stepped away from that one, he noticed a track from a hare heading into the forest up ahead, fresh given how crisp the edges of the print was once he got up close and looked it over.  Okay, borders or hunting? Hm.
and i'm wondering who could be writing this song?
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
cam had never experienced winter in earnest, having been born at the very edge of it, when spring was right around the corner. he had come to find that he hated it. the world was so cold and so dull, with all life dead or gone or hidden away. there was little to explore, to cherish.

could he just hide away until things became lively again?

he went along a forest trail, huffing, thankful at least that the trees here were still green: a silver lining. his quiet, wordless protestations ceased when he spotted mal ahead, and he moved at a more deliberate pace, chuffing and drawing up alongside the older wolf with a brief press of his muzzle to a shoulder. a rare show of affection, but mal deserved it for giving him a home.

hallo, mal, cam greeted softly. what're you up to?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal had never taken the time to really figure out what he wanted out of the seasons.  For him, survival was enough -- this time last year was about when he first started breaching Elysium's borders and trying to find something better.  Had it really been that long?  Things had only gone downhill from there but it was only recently that he felt like it had finally evened out, that the hill that was in front of him was climbable and that he might actually see something brighter on the other side.

Mal had yet to make a decision before a noise drew his attention, and he looked over his shoulder and spotted a familiar shadow approaching.  With Cam and Simmik he felt a certain kinship with them beyond just the fact he'd brought them into the fold -- there were bits in their own tales that he could closely relate to, and he was keen on making sure that they didn't have to deal with any of the parts they didn't.  He wagged his tail and gave him a nudge in return, Hey Cam.  Just patrol stuff... That storm a while ago did a number to the markings.  He then pointed his muzzle to the track, Just found this though.  Any interest in a hunt, or prefer a walk?  Making a couple of reasonable assumptions based on past threads, he knew that Cam sometimes was (or had been) a little sketchy about certain kinds of food and stuff, so since Mal could just come back later on his own he wasn't gonna push.  Both had to happen eventually, one way or another.

He did wish that his family hadn't turned out to be such a useless mess.  He felt he should be able to do more for Cam somehow, but Mal had no idea what should be taught by others versus left for trial and error... Not that Mal thought himself a good teacher for anything anyway.
and i'm wondering who could be writing this song?
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
hmmm. he wondered how a storm could do that, but said nothing, wary of looking stupid if he asked any questions. instead, he waffled on mal's invitation, remembering his last disastrous hunt. he would be nothing but dead weight. . . yet, there weren't a lot of wolves around here. he had to provide for himself, whatever it took.

cam nodded. sure, hunt is fine, he managed, though his stomach felt tight and queasy. his nostrils flared, picking up the scent. another hare—damn. he hoped this one didn't scream like the other one had. that sound haunted his nightmares.

mal. . .where's everyone gone? cam asked, shifting the subject away from blood and death. why isn't anyone really living here anymore?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal nodded. Hunt it would be! It'd be good to make sure that he and Simmik were both doing well with that whole hunting thing -- they were still pretty much kids after all.  He looked back to the trail, sniffing away.  Blink, he glanced back to Cam, pausing his investigation for a moment. Hm?  I mean, it's not so bad, I'm here, you're here, same with Simmik, and Ceilidh, and Mango.  I think we're all trying to make sure there's enough food and that everyone's safe, right? Well, Mal at least didn't seem like he was giving up any time soon.  Stuff would be okay.  He hoped.

A shrug, But I dunno why people just leave without saying anything. I thought Markus went out hunting, but yeah.. Taking way too long.  Then again, Ceilidh took forever to get back that one time too -- she got hurt so it took her a while. Hopefully he'll be back soon. Alarian was barely here before he left, which sounded a little bit like he expected it, and I think he maybe took the kid with him? More uncertain. Mal had been busy trying to find food and then just one day the kid's scent was getting old and unrefreshed. Probably counted as a mess-up on Mal's part there for letting it go too long. If you've got any ideas for getting more folks to stick around, I'm all ears. He looked back to Cam, expression clearly reading that he was being serious and would listen to whatever was suggested quite fairly. Mal tried his damnedest, but he didn't have a clue when it came right down to it.

Mal signaled to keep walking down the hare's trail.  They'd be able to talk a little before they found it, at least.