Redhawk Caldera Love like ours ain't a masterpiece
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
All Welcome 
making some assumptions, feel free to let me know if any of them are wrong!

The kids were getting more and more rambunctious and the den was no longer big enough to hold their family well. Maia was exhausted from trying to track down their little explorers and keep them penned in, and she knew it was time to give them at least a bit more freedom. She brought it to @Eljay, suggesting that they move the family to a space that was nearer to where @Teya stayed.

Now the children could play together and they could share the burden of watching them as they branched out. It definitely helped to set her mind at ease, knowing Teya and @Reyes would be nearby and able to keep the kids out of trouble. While she didn't know Reyes as well, Maia had seen how he was with @Sorana. She also knew how fond most, if not all, of her own children were of the girl. It was a move that hopefully benefitted all of them.

She did deliver strict instructions to @Ceridwen, Aiden, Chickadee, and Jay to never go to the borders alone, to listen to Reyes and Teya, and to absolutely never stray too far once dusk fell. It was only to keep them safe and she hoped the sincerity of the request at least made them consider it. She'd keep chasing, but she couldn't do everything. And it was harder to ignore, now, that Eljay tired more easily. She tried not to worry but failed entirely - internally she was a mess of nerves.

Externally she kept that same pep she usually did as she poked around their new family rendezvous. The den wasn't gone for good, of course - in bad weather, or when the kids were old enough, she and Eljay would absolutely return to it. She'd grown to love the Blackthorn den, but the crowd did make it lose a bit of its appeal.
Brecheliant
Family
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
It was a little sad to say good-bye to the Blackthorn den, but Eljay knew it was for the best. Four children was quite a lot to handle, and they were lacking space in there now that the kids were getting older X bigger. It would be good to have some new space for them to explore, as well as live closer to Teya, Reyes and Sorana.

Eljay had been resting for some time. He woke up from hearing Maia pass by, recognising her easily by her step. It's nice here, Eljay said as she passed him, though he remained laying on the ground, now with his eyes opened and a soft smile on his greying face.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia wasn't expecting to find Eljay where he was, though she recognized his voice easily. She immediately smiled and couldn't quite hide it as she paused.

Yeah? That does feel like something a forest guardian would say. With all the trees here. He must have been napping in the shade. She felt a little bad, waking him up, but he didn't sound too bothered or tired.

Don't worry. We'll keep your trees safe. She joked, pretending she didn't know where he was. Actually, she wondered if she had a moment before needing to get back.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay was a little confused when Maia dubbed him forest guardian, not realising what she was doing at first. He felt weirdly disconnected from life for a moment, as if his brain wasn't really here, or perhaps as if he was really the forest guardian. Eljay blinked as he lay on the floor while he tried to figure it all out for a moment, and was silent for about ten seconds before he came to his senses. He said, in his oldest, forest-guardian-est sounding voice, Thank you. You wolves are so good to these lands. And a smile appeared on his face. Maia truly kept him young.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
It took him a moment to respond and that worried her more. She tried not to show it, and definitely tried not to be overbearing, but she knew how he was. Eljay would push himself to exhaustion for the sake of others, especially their family, and she couldn't lose anyone else.

Maia followed his voice and smiled as she peeked around and spotted him. Even big, strong forest guardians need a break sometimes. She added, then came up and pressed her muzzle to his temple. Mostly it was just a way of greeting him, but it had the double purpose of letting her check. How are you? Feeling okay?
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
A smile appeared on Eljay's face as Maia rounded the corner. His tail wagged a few beats as Maia nuzzled his face. I'm alright. Enjoying a bit of a slow day. Nevermind that it was because he was having a bit of a slow day physically. It was good to enjoy one's serenity every once in a while, right? Eljay yawned and smacked his lips. How about you?
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
He did feel fine, and Maia tried to relax knowing that he was taking it easy. That was a good thing in her mind, especially if he needed the break! She'd been feeling a little overwhelmed herself, now that the kids were larger and more adventurous. Keeping tabs on four was a daunting task.

I was going to check the borders, but it's too beautiful a day for work. Maia replied, a little teasingly. She was shirking a little, but not because the day was nice. She had just wanted to wander a bit first. I bet anyone wanting trouble would just decide to take a nap instead. That's why the biggest fights always happen when it rains. Actually, it was some nonsense about theme and setting, but her explanation for today was what she preferred.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay could not help but chuckle when Maia said that surely, nobody would come looking for trouble in this beautiful weather. He didn't imagine most wolves planned trouble; usually, things just escalated naturally. That was his experience with trouble at least, however limited it was. Hmm, well, good choice for them. I prefer naps to trouble, myself. He hesitated to get up, then instead suggested, Care to join me? He was still a little tired, so the thought of naps alongside Maia was much more tempting to Eljay than any sort of activity.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Hmmm, I don't know... Maia pretended to waver indecisively, but she couldn't hide the smile that threatened to peek through her act. There's an awful lot to do, after all... Then she broke it off and let the smile take over. but how can I say no?

They had babysitters who were definitely more than able to look after the kids for a while. Maia settled in next to him and gave him a peck on the cheek before relaxing with a sigh. It's so quiet here. He'd found a perfect little hideaway, and it was wonderful to escape the noise for a short time. It was easier to miss it later too, that way.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
From the moment she started to speak Eljay knew that Maia was only pretending to hesitate. When she finally agreed, though, Eljay still could not help but smile at her.

Maia commented that it was quiet in his little spot, and Eljay nodded. Hm-mm... Perfect for a nap. He nosed Maia's cheek, glad that she had finally joined him. It's nice that we can still have moments like this. They had so many children now, but the pack helped out and it was nice to steal away moments with just Maia every once in a while. His love for her hadn't wavered over the years.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
So am I. She relaxed against him, enjoying the quiet warmth and the peaceful feeling of his company for a moment. Then her thoughts drifted from their kids to another one, spurred a bit by his comment, a bit by her earlier worries. This wasn't a conversation they needed to have right now, but maybe the sooner, the better. She didn't want to feel like she wasn't on the same page, or to let the timing rush it.

Next year... I wondered. I know this year was a lot, with everything. If these kids were enough, that would be okay. Her getting sick, the fact that there were four, and the fact that he'd led the pack through it all too! She had a hard time pictured what she'd do with herself, if he was ready to be done with raising new children, but she'd sort it out. She'd managed well enough up until then, right?

This one had been hard on her, too, and the thought of going through it again definitely made her nervous. She wasn't quite ready herself, but if they did try, she'd definitely be doing everything in her power to make sure took care of herself during.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
It surprised Eljay when Maia started about next year. It felt like such a long time from now. Eljay had thought recently about his position in the pack, and how maybe he should think about giving it a rest. If there was a good leader to follow up, of course... But he hadn't really included next year's plans in that. Honestly, it felt like so long ago to him; perhaps because he could feel age catching up with him more these days.

After the visible surprise fell off his face, Eljay looked thoughtful. It immediately occurred to him that Maia hadn't given her own opinion about it yet; whether she wanted any, to start with. What do you want? he asked her. I mean — you asked me what I wanted, but I also want to know what you think. I hadn't given it much thought myself yet, I suppose. And you're the one who has to, y'know, carry them, so... I just want to make sure you're comfortable before I form any opinions about it myself. If Maia didn't want more, that was kind of it for him anyway. He didn't want to force her into anything she didn't feel fully comfortable with, just because he enjoyed being a dad so much.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
His surprise didn't deter her much from the conversation. It was on her mind, and she knew he'd rather have her ask than worry next year they wouldn't be on the same page. She didn't want to look forward to something he might be looking at less favorably.

I really love being a mom, and I'd love to give them more siblings. But it's also a lot of work, and a lot of stress, and a lot of other things. I don't need it to happen to be happy, but it does make me happy. If that makes sense? She smiled at him a little sheepishly.

You're an amazing dad, and I can see how much you love doing it. But you've also been... y'know. A dad for longer. So I wanted to make sure. If there was a point where he decided it was too much, his happiness was way more important to her. Especially since they had so many beautiful children already.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
He nodded. That makes perfect sense. Children were a lot of work, but it was work that Eljay loved to put in. He hadn't even really considered next year yet, but the thought of having more children definitely appealed to him. He'd always dreamt of having a huge family, like his parents. As he got older though, he started to realise that was unlikely to happen. At least not in the amount that his parents had. He wasn't sure how much more children he had in him, and they'd been at it from the very beginning, while he had skipped many years himself.

It sounded like Maia maybe wanted more, but that she also would understand if he was done with the dad thing. Boy, did Eljay have news for her. I didn't become a pupsitter because I thought I might get enough of being around children one day, he said with a chuckle. If you are done with it I would totally understand. She did all the physically hard work, after all. .. But I could have more next year. If you also want that.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
The best pupsitter I've ever known, she affirmed, extremely pleased. She would have been fine with whatever answer he gave, truly, but she was extremely glad that he wasn't worn out at the thought of being a "new" parent again next year. Depending on how the next year went, she might make it her last... but she would be happy to have one more opportunity.

Last year was fine, but this year was hard. I'm nervous, but I definitely want it if nothing changes before then. For either of us. Maia smiled, maybe a little apologetically. I know it's a long time. She knew that Eljay would probably tell her if something did change, but her mind wouldn't have let it go if she hadn't asked.

It always seems worth it, even when it's hard. They're just so... great. And loud, and rambunctious, and troublemaking. The polar opposites of their older siblings and yet she loved them just as intensely.
Brecheliant
Family
2,110 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
this is just so relatable:

She knew that Eljay would probably tell her if something did change, but her mind wouldn't have let it go if she hadn't asked.

Eljay smiled when Maia said she wanted it if nothing changed for either of them. It seemed that they were on the same page, then. There was something weird in the way that she mentioned 'if nothing changed'. Was she implying that he was getting older? He didn't comment on it, though. And he knew that he was getting older. It was just that it wasn't something he liked to think about too much, himself. He didn't feel old, as such.

I agree, said Eljay with a soft smile. Even if this year was tougher and the children were more outgoing and more of them — which meant more vigilance and mess-cleaning was required — he wouldn't change it for the world.

Eljay leaned against Maia's soft fur and let out a content sigh while he closed his eyes. He could feel sleep lap at his mind, trying to weaken it and carry him back into nap-land.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,527 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Some part of her worried about her own health too. What if it wasn't the pregnancy? If the tiredness showed up again, and the symptoms came without children, she didn't think she could go through with another litter. She didn't want to try if it meant she might lose them.

She kept this to herself alongside all of the other worries. It was all stuff that she'd revisit occasionally, but none of it was close enough to weigh constantly on her mind yet.

Maia could tell that he was nodding off. She smiled, then settled in closer and rested her head on his back. She wasn't tired enough to fall asleep yet but she might not be able to resist after a while. Until then she'd stay where she was, enjoying his company and the peaceful quiet of that moment.