Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Private 
She lay and faced away from the door, her mind in far-off places. She did anything to get her mind off the ocean that loomed just outside, hoping its wretched curse would stay far from her.

Today, she envisioned herself knee-deep in snow, and she trudged along an unmarked path. Although she didn't know where she was, she felt happy, and that was enough. Ultimately, that was the reason for all this; she pursued happiness.
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man had not ventured far since placing the injured girl in her home. He had ventured beyond the plateau and to the edge of the ocean where he had gazed upon the waters in wonder. Beautiful and vast, he wondered how anything so magnificent could exist on their humble earth. 

On his way back from his most recent scouting trip, Kannoyak had followed the scent of rabbit and killed a pair of them on the edge of Moontide. He carried their bodies back to the pack and to the girl who recovered. 

At the mouth of the den where she rested, the white hunter chuffed.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She lifted and turned her head at the sound of his chuff, and a smile appeared on her face. Come in, my hero, she called, his voice brimming with excitement. What is the occasion? she asked, seeing that he'd picked up something for them along the way.
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Once allowed, Kannoyak entered and stood respectfully at the edge of the den. The pair of rabbits hung from his mouth. The pale man was still stuck on having been called a hero by the young woman. 

Placing one of the rabbits near her and the other in a place at the edge of the den, Kannoyak cleared his throat with a grunt and fixed his plum stare on the woman. 

The occasion is a broken leg, he answered. This one is if you are still hungry. Or if your mother wishes to eat. Kannoyak did not know if the Moonwoman was still near.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Although he kept to an arm's length, Ariadne's smile lingered, and her voice remained light and happy. Ack, that is not something to celebrate! she encouraged, How about ... something else. Something fun, did he even know what fun was?

When he explained what the second rabbit was for, she frowned. What about you? she asked. Doesn't a man need to eat, too?
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The white hunter hummed after her comment. She did not believe her injury was cause for prey. Kannoyak might have chided her, told her that she needed her strength in recovery and that food would provide it. Her tone was bright and cheerful. He could not bring it upon himself to dampen that. 

A man eats. 

The white wolf believed this would ease her worries. He offered a polite smile and sat a few feet from where she was. 

How are you feeling? He did not wish to speak of himself, of selfishly devouring the other rabbit in the corner. Not in front of a young woman.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
He did what was needed to appease her concern. She pulled the rabbit towards her when he assured her he'd eaten and took a bite—it was delicious. Her face scrunched in a delighted expression, and she said, Yum! I thank you for this treat.

When he asked how she was, she sighed and shrugged. This woman is ... okay. Dreaming of far-off places and wishing I was not here, but there was nothing she could do about it. She trailed, searching for the right words.

I do not like it here, she admitted.
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
You are welcome. 

Thanks weren’t necessary. Kannoyak needed to busy himself. He was a hunter and a pathmaker. It did no good for him to wait outside her den, pretending to be a guard. 

She spoke of the things she had been dreaming of - places far away from where they were. Curious how all young wolves found this longing in their spirit. Kannoyak wondered if it was only aging that sparked the strong desire to find something new. 

What is it you do not like? Are you pledged to another village? 

His head canted curiously.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Not necessarily, she answered, shaking her head. I have decided that it is time for me to step up—like my anaa and sistraas before me—and lead my own village. Her posture grew taller as she explained; Chakluix had stirred something within her that she didn't know existed.

But ... it is the ocean, my hero, she admitted, her voice quiet as though she were keeping a secret from it. I don't like it. It brings nothing but hurt and destruction.
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man’s ears swivelled. He wondered what made a heart long to lead. Kannoyak was almost certain he had never felt such a desire. It must have been her spirit’s true path. Such things could not be ignored, he had found. 

But when she mentioned the sea and the cursed things it had brought to them, the hunter allowed his perplexed expression to show. 

Explain this. The great water is not a bringer of these things. What made her think it so?
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
He quickly jumped to the ocean's defense and frowned at this.

I recently exchanged words with a bear man whose village was lost to the sea because she was sad, she began, adjusting her posture as she tried to find a more comfortable position. She wreaked havoc on their home, but she failed to mention how a gift had come from the tragedy. She watched as her curse took my sistraa, her voice quieted and hardened, and tears began to well in her honey-like eyes.

Too many bad things happen near the ocean, she concluded, looking at her paws. I must make my home far away from it.
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Quiet, thoughtful, the white hunter considered her proof of the ocean’s fiendish ways. He held his tongue for a time, hoping that he might understand. Kannoyak did not. Even after the proof she had given, he believed that it was deeper - she had made the sea into an enemy to make sense of her spirit’s desire to follow its proper path. 

This is not true, moongirl. 

Kannoyak looked upon her with intensity. 

Terrible things will happen. They will come to the sea and to the woods. They will take from the wolves of the mountain and the valley and the beaches. It sounded grave. He offered a smile to her. 

Make your home where your heart desires. But do not damn the sea for your wishes. As with all things, there is good and bad to be found in the dark waters.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She fell silent for a long pause, considering his words.

At last, she sighed deeply and slowly nodded her head. You are right, cotton grass hunter, she admitted, using the same moniker moonmother had.

Still, I wish to make an altar for her to protect Moontide—for when I’m gone. Is that something you can help me with?
167 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man smiled. 

It seemed that his words had found a way to her. If it allowed her to find peace, it would be a great blessing. Kannoyak could not relate to her feelings about the ocean, but he understood fear. It was a great challenge to overcome such a thing. 

Yes, he agreed to her request. The altar will be made. It would honor this one to assist. 

Kannoyak eyed the meal he had brought for her with a nod. He expected her to eat, to keep her attention on recovering from the injury she had sustained.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
This woman thanks your for your help, she said. I have been thinking of things to provide the sea, and I think that she'd like some food for her stomach, some sea grass for her bed, and the finest shells you can find. It wasn't a tall order, but she think it'd suffice—, especially if she made it look the way she envisioned. I think she would like some fish—salmon if you can.

Kannoyak gestured to the food he'd brought, and Ariadne nodded and pulled it closer to take a bite; it was delicious. I thank you ... for everything, she said once she'd swallowed her mouthful. How can this one repay you?

An agreement was made, and Kannoyak went to work, helping Ariadne collect materials for her shrine to Sedna.