Moonglow
Theta

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,245 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Who does he think raised him? Kukutux? Who imparted the importance of family, of brotherhood? Who taught him his first steps? Who was there for his first hunts, patrols? Who kept him safe through the night when they were all one unit together in Natigvik? And after, when the village fell and only Moonglow remained on their horizon? Who had kept the boy fed and cared for, until such time as his mother's return? But of course it meant nothing to Kivaluk. What of those days would he remember except the sadness of being left behind?

Kigipigak wants to say so much! He sees now how deeply rooted Kukutux has made herself within this man. He sees now how much has been lost. The differences between their people aside, Kigipigak knows he has made a wrong decision which has lasting consequences - and no amount of speech would fix it. That too, Kivaluk gets from his father; a piece of Tartok that they share.

Action was what held meaning, not platitudes. Kigipigak is proud of the man before him, for what that was worth, and while it was a feeling crowded with sorrow and a growing resentment for all that had transpired, Kigipigak feels buoyed by this.

I do hope your sons and daughters grow up learning from you, and trusting you. I hope only the best for you. And I wish to one day prove myself, in whatever ways you request; so that we can somehow be family.

This was more important than any bride-price.

Tell me what to do. Tell me what you need of me, and I will do it. If that is to leave you alone, I will. A pause. Whatever version of me you have in your head is not me, Kivaluk. You only know pieces and that is my fault.

So much blame he held for Sakhmet, Kukutux, Natigvik, even his uncle for calling him away those many moons ago - but none deserved blame more than himself, and finally it spilled from him.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Messages In This Thread
atiga-anun - by Kigipigak - December 10, 2023, 01:09 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kivaluk - December 10, 2023, 02:32 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kigipigak - December 10, 2023, 02:44 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kivaluk - December 10, 2023, 03:13 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kigipigak - December 10, 2023, 03:33 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kivaluk - December 10, 2023, 06:32 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kigipigak - December 10, 2023, 06:42 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kivaluk - December 11, 2023, 06:48 AM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kigipigak - December 12, 2023, 02:44 PM
RE: atiga-anun - by Kivaluk - December 12, 2023, 08:14 PM