so hold nice and close the ones who get to your soul [pup baptism]
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
@kevlyn @larus @spyridon and any one else who would like to join - BAPTISMAL TIME!!! no post order, and AW

It was with great solemnity that Caiaphas combed the small area she had cleared just out of the swash-line. She had earlier in the day combed the spherical clearing with a fallen sequoia bough -- and neatly she composed the vicinity with various collectives. Some sea shells, some arms of kelp, stones, sticks. The result was a circular clearing with the mouth facing the sea -- as she stepped back to view her handiwork a great swelling of pride grew in her bosom.

Both pups had shown they were worthy of residing with the Nereides -- and it was time to honor them. Spyridon had expressed interest in participating in the baptism -- and despite the matriarchal society they lived in, Caiaphas knew the ritual would be of less import if he was not involved. She threw back her head and a fluting howl pressed the cold air -- summoning the two youths to the first day of their newly christened lives as Nereides consorts.
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
Did you wanna give him a new name too? Or just baptism.

Larus was far happier to sleep under the stars, or in the crook of some massive trees, rather than in the chasm that Caiaphas controlled. He was resting in the forest - a bundle of fat and fur, similar to the manner his father actually slept in the open - when the summon rose through the air. He was swift to heed it, but lethargic in his movement; eager to be in the presence of his new mother but also nervous, for he had no way of knowing what was to come of this meeting. Why would he be specifically asked for? Why him, and why Kevlyn? Hoping it wasn't a forced play-date between the two youth, Larus begrudgingly did as he was told. He arrived upon the edge of the beach promptly enough, and then moseyed closer. The closer he got to the sea the more dreadful he felt - both from the growing chill in the air, and the ocean itself. He was not comfortable here.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Any sense of real curiosity had been snuffed out of Kevlyn by the circumstances he found himself in, so when he was summoned, he responded automatically. The Ostrega didn't wonder why he was being called, and not attending was simply out of the question. Oh, his mind worked as well as it had when he'd first acquired memories and comprehension, and he was clever in his own little way, but his thoughts were more often on whether or not a wolf was a worthy specimen than on the hows and whys of society.

He trotted easily, though his paws were positively enormous and should have hindered him. His legs were still short, but the amount of fat that Kevlyn had put on since arriving in Ankyra Sound suggested he soon would sprout up. When that day came, he would be a truly large wolf, a soldier, albeit a vain and catty one. For now, he proceeded to waddle around, bothered not by the size of his gut nor how it swayed.

When he located Caiaphas on the beach, he noted Larus had already arrived. His gaze lingered on the juvenile for a moment, but then turned reverently to the Alpha female. His form was lowered as he approached, and the nearer he got, the faster his tail wriggled, until he was practically lying on the ground with his head turned to the side and his tongue poking out submissively. If the young boy had known he was about to be drowned, then perhaps he would have been more reluctant, but he was rather eager instead.
επιβήτορας
113 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sup kids. I'm back in bidness.

Spyridon had been digging the last of many caches he had filled today. When Caiaphas's call rose through the air, he hurriedly pushed the dirt over the bones and meat, pushing it down with the weight of his heavy paws. Satisfied that it was covered enough, he went to the nearest tree and marked it to let others know that food could be found here. With his duty done, he began moving toward Caiaphas's call and the impending ritual for the two boys.

Heavy thudding footsteps soon carried him to the spot where his queen and the two boys awaited. Automatically, his ears flattened against his skull and he gave the queen a soft whine of deference. Despite being male, Spyro had been raised to honor and respect the moon and the sea. They were not his gods in the same way that they were for the mothers and sisters, but he did feel a connection to them. This was the queen's ritual to lead, though, and he would allow her to do so with no quarrel.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
im terrible at baptisms/rituals ok.. i figure this round we can howl and then next round we can get to BABY-DIPPIN and then i'll wrap up sound good?!!

The notion of the boys' baptism excited Caiaphas -- though a quick glance to the recent arrivals showed that the participating party was much less cheerful. Caiaphas' gaze fell first to Larus -- who looked almost doleful -- yet she had little time to press him before Kevlyn arrived. He was suitably excited, though inwardly Caiaphas imagined he would be significantly less thrilled once the wash of cold seawater engulfed him.

Spyridon arrived shortly thereafter -- with his presence Caiaphas felt assured the ritual would not be an entire disaster. Swallowing any sort of uncertainty (and there was a lot of it) she felt for leading her first baptism, Caiaphas began the baptism with a low, fluting howl -- signaling for the others to join her in her entreat to the Goddesses. Her voice, poignant and sharp as the wind, was lifted up the cliffs and into the hollow expanse of interminable sea.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Spyridon was the last to arrive. Kevlyn paid respects to him as well, turning to the Epivitoras and poking out his tongue. The dark-furred man showed deference to the siren queen and Kevlyn's eyes turned back to her automatically. His gaze lingered on one sharp, black ear as she prepared herself for the ritual. Larus was silent.

Then Kevlyn's ears twisted toward Caiaphas as her head tilted back. The song she sang was irresistible; soon he was howling too, and knew as he did that it was to and with an ancient power. The sea and moon were not his gods, as they weren't Spyridons, but their spirits were present. Even Kevlyn could feel it.
επιβήτορας
113 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Gonna keep this going since Larus has gone inactive.

Spyridon's head tilted back as soon as Caiaphas's howl filled the air. Howling was an instinctual thing, and it was as contagious as a yawn (if not more). Spyro's baritone voice belted loud and clear, calling out to the sea and moon to join them.

Unlike the males of Aktaie's sect, he was never taught of the Drowned One, though he had heard that other sects practiced it while growing up. Hippo Tang Cove was opposed to such things, feeling it would give the males something else to latch on to. It was their belief that the males should serve only one thing: the sirens.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
sounds good! let's baby dip!!! i'll powerplay larus as getting dunked - @larus if you have any issues about this PM me!!

Soft and sweet were their entwined howls -- tentative and full of prowess, a mesmerizing choir replete with haunting clarity. Once the last of their howls faded into the sharp wind, Caiaphas dropped her muzzle -- and with a flat stare, rounded upon Larus.

She dearly wished he would not take it offensively -- but knowing the whelp, he would likely have some sort of reservation about being rudely embraced by the icy water. With a deft move she grabbed him by the scruff and carried him out sea not unlike a pagan would carry its virgin -- without ceremony he was tossed into the sea. Caiaphas would even have held him underwater as a prank, were it not for the fact her own snout would have to be held under as well.

Securing his scruff, she pressed him against the rushing waves as was their custom -- once the last wave had engulfed them both, they strode ashore two wretched and damp poltroons who looked as if the very sea had regurgitated them from its briny depths.
105 Posts
Ooc —
hurrr sorry. PPing Spyridon grabbing Kev!

His head fell back level with his shoulders just in time to spot Caiaphas grabbing Larus by the scruff. This sight shot terror through his veins, but before he could react to it, Spyridon had grasped his own nape and he was forced to relax. The grip of an adult canine's jaws on a pup's neck was enough to soothe them. Kevlyn trusted these wolves, which certainly helped the situation, even when the consort waded deep into the water with his fat body in tow.

And then he was dunked under. The first wave caught him unaware and he gasped, drawing water into his lungs. He was still coughing as the second came, but he was able to expel anything that entered his mouth. The remaining waves were uneventful, though the boy lost count of them, and was glad for solid ground when he was brought back to shore. When Spyridon let him go, he crumpled on the sand, breathing hard against what had felt like horrible suffocation.
επιβήτορας
113 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Caiaphas took Larus, and Spyro grabbed ahold of Kevlyn. The process itself was quick, though its meaning would continue for the rest of their lives. They belonged to the sirens now, and forever would. Even if they somehow managed to escape or were taken away by some other means, the sea would always call to them. Beckon them closer. Spyridon himself had undergone the baptism at their age, and more than a day away from the crashing waves caused his stomach to churn and his worries to rise.

"Αυτό γίνεται." And so it was. If he had any notion of what it was, Spyro might have felt pride for the ritual, for bringing both Kevlyn and Larus closer to the sea. However, he'd been raised with no such thing, and served only the sirens and their wards. The two drenched pups sat on the sandy shore, sputtering and regaining their breaths as he and Caiaphas looked on. The spawn would need rest, and Spyro gave his queen a cursory glance to let her know he would look after them. Gently, he stepped forward and licked away some of the salt water on Kevlyn's brow.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
we can wrap up here - feel free to post either of you otherwise ill archive it in a week :)

The soaked hag watched as Spyridon and Kevlyn pulled from the rushing waters, the younger of which fell to the sand as if fond of its grainy touch. She offered a fickle smile as he coughed -- it was second nature now for her to hold her breath underwater, but it was a hard lesson to have swallowed.

Spyridon was regarded quietly, and with a dip of her head to commemorate the male for his fastidious attention to the youths, the Siren Queen rose. She would leave the trio on the strand to regain their breath and comfort -- while she, sylph of the sea, committed herself to busying their waning cache supply.