Feature: GPS Widget
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
@Sialuk told me to put this in here.

Map GPS

I've created a modified version of the current map. It is different in two ways:

1. It doesn't rely on jQuery, so page load is slightly faster

2. It takes a query parameter "chars". If you feed one or more names of a currently active character, it will grab the last thread that character was in and stick the location on the map in a bubble. The bubble represents an approximate range of the character for one day, using the "25 mile" length on the map as a radius. You can change the range with the slider on the left.

Autumn suggested this could be added to a character's profile. Theoretically I could also make a widget that shows like a baby version of it as an image.

I'm not super sure who currently hosts the map, but I'm happy to supply the code and infos for this.

Other things I am thinking of adding or changing:
  • Are the pack claim labels automatically generated? If not, I can make it so.
  • I'd like to show more information about what the range represents, including miles
  • I'm adding another slider for the maximum distance. Currently it is set to 25 miles.
  • I'm adding support for passing user ids in the chars parameter instead of names
  • I'm adding a textbox so users can search for a user from the map itself
  • Characters that are in the same spot looks gross right now, I will fix it
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
SUGGESTION: Perhaps something that autofills character names? Specifically because we have characters with accents and such in their names.
10055/50000 (10055/50000)