Wild Fauna breeding questions
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
(October 22, 2020, 10:36 PM)Umi Wrote:
(October 22, 2020, 10:14 PM)Arcturus Wrote: How do you feel it is ridiculous for a rabbit versus a bear? Wouldn’t it be equal all things considered? They both need to meet the same metric. Just trying to understand your stance there.
I mostly meant that large predators overbreeding could present a potential problem to other players, where prey animals would not, but I meant it mostly for illustration.

(October 22, 2020, 10:14 PM)Arcturus Wrote: Is any of this because you are interested in having your character have offspring in game..? If that’s the case I’d suggest striving to meet the qualifications. They are not difficult for a dedicated character and you have plenty of time to do so.

I'm not concerned for myself, I just don't think the logic is applicable in these cases and I wanted to generate discussion :)

(October 22, 2020, 10:14 PM)Arcturus Wrote: WF are not commonly utilized by players because many of the incentives of a non-WF character are not available to them (packs, leadership, trades, etc). I haven’t heard of anyone feeling it’s because of red tape but everyone is different.

My concern here is partly because MERs are new. I'd love to see more players utilize Wild Fauna and I think adding restrictions when there isn't a problem is not great. If anything we should be adding fun incentives for Wild Fauna characters because they can't take advantage of pack-related things.

I agree that keeping MERs for canids that can interbreed with wolves makes sense.
MERS are not technically new. The term “MER“ is, but prior to us rolling it out there were breeding restrictions on LW and WF (minimum of 30 days consecutive activity/minimum of 50 posts, must get CM permission first).  WOLF has not had an open/unrestricted breeding season policy for a very long time.  

WF does have an incentive, and that’s to breed. That’s a pretty special incentive, so I (as a player) don’t personally see reasons to make WF prioritized for breeding season in light of that, because the focal point for this game is wolves.

The reason that restrictions (now called MERs) exist in the first place is because players felt that there were too many offspring and not enough players to play them, and that it was taking away from their ability to find players for their offspring. This would impact wolf characters/players if WF were allowed to breed freely since they are drawing from the same applicable pool of players. It would go right back to perpetuating the very issue that players were striving to resolve by suggesting restrictions placed on breeding. That and, many players did not like to see unestablished characters having puppies/offspring. I am not sure that sentiment has changed given the overwhelming response in our most recent poll.

I’ll take a step back for now and see what others say in the discussion. :)
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
Messages In This Thread
Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Umi - October 21, 2020, 11:23 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding question - by RIP Niamh - October 21, 2020, 11:42 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Umi - October 22, 2020, 12:16 AM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Arcturus - October 22, 2020, 05:50 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Umi - October 22, 2020, 10:01 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Arcturus - October 22, 2020, 10:14 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Umi - October 22, 2020, 10:36 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Arcturus - October 22, 2020, 10:54 PM
RE: Wild Fauna breeding questions - by Umi - October 22, 2020, 11:27 PM