Swiftcurrent Creek The roaring seas and many a dark range of mountains lie between us.

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,299 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Even if it was commonplace for wolves to make homes and lose them, it did not happen to Kilgitsuk; he'd dedicated his time to honoring his bonds, to sticking with his work and keeping the peace. As soon as he'd wanted something different - a family, a home built of his own toil - he had felt accomplished, and then it was ruined. He could not reconcile his strong opinions about what makes a man and losses he'd recently faced. Those successes were important to him, and the failures earth-shattering.

I was born here, Akavir admitted. That drew Kilgitsuk away from the momentary sorrow, and listened with an open and aching heart to the familiar tale. Yes — there was always the chance of trying again, rebuilding. What could Kilgitsuk do but continue on? He should have tried harder. It was not a motivating sentiment that Akavir imparted to Kilgitsuk, but more pain; at least, that was how the wounded man had taken it.

Maybe one day I can retake my village. I can rebuild. But... It is hard, knowing that my family is not what it once was. He did not want to dwell on it so openly now, not before his alpha. He could be weak in private and keep it all contained. The man drew a breath and seemed to steel himself.
There is always tomorrow.