Brecheliant
Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,273 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
A part of him feels the urge to raise his voice to the boy, to let his dominance show in the volume and tenacity hidden there, and he begins to - drawing a breath, readying some words to cut through the attitude that Kivaluk displays before his own father. The lack of respect.

Kigipigak is cut down by the knowledge flowing forth instead. He knew Sakhmet had returned; he knew that much at least, and that was when he'd felt confident in his choice to leave. It was the rest of it: that she remarried, that she had children not of his hearth! These were lances through his heart; a heart he thought he had walled off with ice sufficiently enough. No, those truths wounded him.

He did not have words for many moments. For once Kigipigak was struck by silence. Pained, aching, working so hard to bury this fresh insult and injury which Kivaluk had thrust upon him.

Out of that stillness came Kigipigak's voice, finally.

Your mother left. She left and it hurt me deeply. I did not know how deeply until she returned and... we were not united, after that. I remember her return. I knew she was there, and Kukutux, and all of the village. Swallowing; more than words or thoughts but feelings too, unwilling to be weak here. Unwilling to let his son see it. I trusted you would be cared for by our kin, Kivaluk. And you were. You did not need me there. You had your mother and the village.

But she was gone, again. Kigipigak could not have foreseen that happening. He could not fathom Sakhmet marrying again, dissolving whatever connection they'd once had, permanently. If a new marriage made your mother happier, then I am glad. Although his voice now is low, like the shifting of glacial ice.

I am sorry that you feel slighted and abandoned. You were not, as far as I knew. You've always had the village and your kin, Kukutux, and all that she holds. In his mind this was more than enough. Kivaluk's anger now and his distrust, his complaints and his attitude, amounted to a childish tantrum so far as his father was concerned.

What could he do? He had become a trader. He held no claims, to land or family, and even now was being denounced by his blood.
Messages In This Thread
you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - October 08, 2023, 05:33 AM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - October 11, 2023, 06:57 AM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kigipigak - November 08, 2023, 12:30 PM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - November 11, 2023, 04:38 PM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kigipigak - November 14, 2023, 06:45 PM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - November 17, 2023, 03:49 PM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kigipigak - November 17, 2023, 05:01 PM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - November 22, 2023, 06:09 AM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kigipigak - November 22, 2023, 10:50 AM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kivaluk - November 23, 2023, 06:25 AM
RE: you don't wanna be seen rollin' in my bar - by Kigipigak - November 23, 2023, 12:57 PM