Brecheliant
Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,289 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Finally he found someone reasonable to confide in. Kigipigak knew he should have been speaking freely with his wife about these things, but he found he could not. Asivaq was too easily swayed by the Sunshine blood in her veins; she was never going to hear him plainly, not while Kukutux was around to manipulate her. This was what he had dreaded about their return - but he would not speak against his issumatar, and Asivaq had wanted to return.

He shakes his head, wanting to trust what Amalia was saying. We tried to build a village in the west, and it was a struggle. Very few wolves came our way, and then before we knew it we were outnumbered by another village forming practically on top of us. Our children were born - two girls, two boys. One of the boys was small and -- did not survive long. A tension caught in his jaw.

We returned to Moonglow and -- now it appears I am at fault for everything. Kukutux blames me, I know she does. I could not build a village for her daughter; I could not keep our children safe; and I fear that she will sway my wife against me.

It was a lot to lay before Amalia. But, she knew Kigipigak from a happier time, and she knew Kukutux, and was far enough removed to be impartial. Kigipigak swallowed whatever else he felt and found comfort here, sharing these things despite it going against his nature.

Every day it feels like I fight for an identity that is rejected. My children should be raised as Tartok, but they are now in a Sunshine village. I will lose more to Kukutux the longer we remain.

Perhaps they hoped to drive him off? Make him so miserable he might accept Asivaq's choice to separate - he couldn't be sure, but the fear was there. Kigipigak knew he could not let that happen; at best, he would be sure to rescue as many of the children as he could if it did.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Messages In This Thread
Do you see the brightest side of life - by Amalia - May 07, 2024, 01:52 PM
RE: Do you see the brightest side of life - by Kigipigak - May 09, 2024, 08:36 PM