Emberwood For A King To Do His Part
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
All Welcome 
SETTING:
Weather: Overcast with wind. A thick snowfall has begun and the land is blanketed.
Before Dawn...

TERRITORY: Border of Uraine Gorsedd

TAGS: N/A

He had departed from The Hollow 2 days ago, bidding farewell to his mate and children in the quiet of the night, promising to return by the end of the moon with hope of good news. Valette had been reluctant— they all had. Easthollow had been barely hanging by threads during the duration of the mysterious quakes, but now the earth had settled, its rumbling soothed, and the pack recovering steadily.

He trekked to the border of the mentioned pack, following the direction others had sent him till the scent was brought to him on the gentle breeze. Now standing, he could tell without a doubt that this was the place. The border markers were fresh, thick, and heavy. Daring anyone with half a mind to cross them.

Thankfully, Greyback was not half-minded.

He gazed out a the land before him, taking in anything he could that would serve as a landmark, a prominent reminder in his aging brain. Stark white trees as far as the eye could see was his only bet, their statures looming quite like his own. They stood tall, their formation nothing special, just ordinary—'cept for the weird shapes carved into their barks. The elder wondered what it meant.

But business was business, and he was not here to spare attention and wonder of such things in a dilly-dallying manner.

He threw his head back, and with a rumbling howl that shook the area around him, he cast his calling out into the wind for anyone around to answer. It's deep, thunderous tone making not only his presence, but his intention to do business prominent.

you've still got a little lightning in you
571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy was returning to the territory after scounting the surrounding area when she heard the call. It was not anyone she recognized by voice, but as she drew nearer, the scent of Easthollow was clear to her. Her tail waved as she dipped into the territory and arced back to meet the visitor, simply so that she would not seem to come from outside the territory.

"Hello," she barked as she reached the edge of the trees, and then had to blink at the male standing before her. It was not often she met wolves larger than herself, and thus, she found herself somewhat intimidated by the stranger. But he was from Easthollow, and he smelled strongly of Valette; Easy set aside her anxiety and went to meet him. "You've reached... Uaine... Gorsedd? My name's Easy."

She'd stopped a good few paces from the man — out of lunging distance. In her mind, she went over the few fights and skirmishes she'd been in, readying herself to defend the territory, or else fight for her life. Outwardly, she was the picture of friendly attentiveness — with just the uneasy prickle of fur along her spine giving away her worries.
ooh-oo child, things are gonna get easier
JoiMorningbreeze!
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Not Awol.

He had smelt her before she appeared, and appeared she did. A lady, dark and white muddled on her fur approached him, and with a swift movement he bowed his head to her in greeting. Between the time of him howling, to where he was now, snow had accumulated on his pelt, clumping together only to fall at the movement—he paid no mind to it.

The distance between them had spoken more to him that the words out of her mouth, along with the puffyness that nested on her spine. Though he had seen it, the man chose not to comment on it.

"Hello Easy, I am Greyback, Patriarch of Easthollow and mate to Valette. I have heard much of you—though I didn't expect to find you here. Im looking to speak with the woman in charge." he greeted before stating himself. Valette had told him many stories, a few of which included a wolf of Easy. No description was ever made, but judging by the name he had to guess it was her. Easy, to him, was not much of a common name.

571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy's ears flicked forward in interest as he announced that he was the mate of Valette, and then back again when he said he'd heard of her. Overall, the affect of his speech was that she came a little closer, her tail waving in tentative familiarity. If he was Valette's mate, that almost made him like an honorary uncle — except that Easy hadn't had much contact with the woman aside from a few quite visits. She was still a badass lady, and someone that her father had held in high esteem.

"Greyback," she repeated, feeling a little twinge in her heart at the almost-familiar name. "I'm pleased to meet you — but I'm afraid you have me at a bit of a disadvantage; I haven't kept up with Easthollow quite as well as I should've, it seems." But she was pleased to meet him, and it showed in the inquisitive brightness of her eyes and the slow smoothing of her hackles. "I'm sure Ibis or Bhediya will be along soon. You might know that the latter is my dam — I'm here to get to know her a little, and then I'll likely be heading back to the valley my paternal aunt holds. I left my nephew there when I came here looking for his father, Sunny — but there hasn't been any sign of him yet."

She eyed him keenly, wondering what he was doing in the area, but not asking just in case it was some private matter with one of the women in charge.
JoiMorningbreeze!
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Ah, so it was her. Greyback was thankful that his assumptions were correct. And judging by it, the girl seemed less weary because of the word exchange seeing as she stepped closer to him. He wagged his tail slightly behind him as well, but dared not to test the waters by coming closer. He did offer her a smile though.

"Pleased to meet you as well, there is no disadvantage, my dear. Life simply calls to all of us in different ways. I shall tell Valette of our meeting, im sure the news will make her happy." He nodded as the girl mentioned two wolves, one of which shocked him—Bhediya. They had met once, perhaps. The male knew of her ties with Valette and that she had recently visited them in tow with Sunny. "Im surprised to hear that, but pleased none the less. May the sun shine down on you. Sunny is within our care, as well as a girl by the name of Minnow, and her aunt Dawn. Am I correct in assuming these wolves are part of your family?" He tipped his head slightly as he talked. He wasn't aware that Morningside wolves had such a big family, let alone presence in Rising Sun Valley.

759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
bhediya had been standing somewhat off in the distance, just out of view. she wasn't afraid to approach, as these borders were just as much hers as anyone else's, but she was.. wary. there was no telling what valette had mentioned to greyback, what he'd heard about her past. it was likely all true, but true of a past incarnation, not of the woman she'd become.

upon mention, she snuck from the treeline to stand beside easy. after a moment's contemplation, she looked up to meet the brute's gaze, finding it laughably difficult with their difference in size. it's nice to have a visitor from the hollow, she said with a smile. unexpected, but nice.

you're welcome beyond the border, if you two wanted to continue your talk over a small meal. they didn't have much to offer, but she figured that a small snack wouldn't do them too much harm.

571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The man was terribly polite; Easy goggled at him as he spoke, remembering the etiquette lessons her father had worked so hard to drill into her and thinking that they would fall a little flat with such a well-spoken conversational partner. She wondered if Grayday would've been just as charmed by the man.

Before she could ask for her well wishes to be passed on to Valette (as well as the news that there was no news, but she was still keeping an eye open for Sunny and Steph), Greyback shared news of his own. Easy's breath caught in her throat, her heart seeming to leap along with every name. That was everyone — or nearly everyone, if she only counted the wolves she'd had any true hope of finding. Then she felt a twinge of guilt, because she'd just been thinking of Steph and had just as easily forgotten her. She remedied this now: "And Steph? Was she with Sunny?" she asked, feeling uneasy at her omission, but hoping it had merely been for her own benefit, as Greyback might not have thought she was interested in hearing about those outside her bloodline.

Regardless of his answer, she pressed on: "If Minnow is there, his son should be brought to him as well. Do you think there's room in Easthollow for one more little boy? Well, not little; Valiant is nearly nine months, now, and he's about where you'd expect in his hunting skills, the last I checked up on him. But our family comes from a long line of excellent hunters, so he'll likely be worth the investment." The last sentence was said somewhat lightly, as though she was making a joke — but she hoped it would sway the male all the same.

She startled when Bhediya appeared, and blinked at her dam before stepping back a fraction to welcome Greyback inside. "Of course," she agreed, and then her gaze slid back to the male, grateful and admiring.
JoiMorningbreeze!
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Bhediya showed herself soon, the dark contrast of her pelt easily spot-able against the white world around them. He bowed to her as she approached, much like he did to Easy. "It has been quite some time," he said humbly. "Im here to speak of a possible alliance between Easthollow and Uaine Gorsedd. A boy of yours, Awol, visited us not long ago with promise of such a thing. Is this correct?" He raised an eyebrow at the pair as he talked.

"Such a gracious offer, but i'll have to refuse for now. Im here for business strickly, and need to get back to my lands in two days time. My dear, Valette, would worry if I was gone for any longer than needed." he chuckled, and then turned to Easy. The Eastholloian was glad she was so eager to talk to him, and more so pleased by her curiously and well spoken self. "We shall talk later," he whispered. "I promise to answer your questions and give you answers, but for now this alliance is my top priority."

759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
bhediya smiled, glad to see greyback's enthusiasm in his endeavors. it is, yes. awol was a good scout, much better than she'd once given him credit for. like the brute, he was also all business, something that bhe respected. i'm glad that you came up here. valette probably wouldn't want me at your borders again.

she turned to easy then, an apologetic glint in her gaze. she hadn't meant to interrupt their conversation, but it seemed to be exactly what'd happened. i think that an alliance between the valley packs is a great idea. the more bodies, the better, especially once the herds return. 

the prospect of combining three packs — courtfall, uaine gorsedd, and easthollow — for a celebratory hunt lit her expression once more. what are you looking for in this partnership? bhediya asked, then moving to sit beside her daughter.

571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
A petulant part of the mottled woman wanted to rally against this polite dismissal. That's not good enough! She'd been worrying for her siblings and her niece for weeks, after all, and surely that was more important than an alliance?

But she understood that they were not Greyback's kin, and that he could hardly have gotten to know them or her. Of course the job he'd been sent to do would be his priority, even if her own was different. And besides, her siblings were sheltering now in Easthollow, where they were surely safe and fed. It would keep until this conversation was done.

Easy stepped back and stood merely listened in to the conversation, deciding that she would follow Greyback to Easthollow when he left in order to reunite with her siblings. Bhediya and Ibis would understand. Especially if she returned quickly.
JoiMorningbreeze!
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
He watched as Easy stepped back, and gave her a smile as if to say thank you. He couldn't image how difficult it would be to be worried over your family and having to put the answers aside when they were so close. But as the two sat, so did he, calm and relaxed, and ready to talk about their alliance.

"I am glad you are interested," he shot back. "You'll be pleased to know the herds have already returned—the bison, that is. We have led our first hunt and it went exceptionally well." He thought about the possibility of checking out the herds around here as well. The man didn't know what Uaine Gorsedd hunted. Rabbits perhaps? Deer?

"While I doubt there will be any wars to come, you can never be too careful. But besides that, I would like our packs to be able to send our apprentices back and forth. A few of my wolves have expressed their interest in trades, ones we do not have masters for in Easthollow.

I would appreciate them being able to travel and stay here in their training without the threat of attack. Of course—this extends to you and yours as well."

759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
the terms would be easily met. they were similar to those held with courtfall, though with a more useful add-on. the apprentice program caught bhediya's interest, as was apparent in her expression. 

bison? she asked, i don't think the herds have made it here yet, but easy is one of our hunters so maybe she knows better. bhediya didn't want her daughter to take the backseat on account of her interruption. it felt.. weird, having stolen the spotlight.

she waited for a response before continuing. which trades are you looking for? i know that some of our wolves could benefit from mercenary training. they had plenty of caregivers and scouts, but they were limited otherwise. a pack needed to have brawn and it worried them that they didn't.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
The Patriarch's gaze fell to the girl once more as she was mentioned. "Yes, bison." He confirmed. "Easthollow survives solely off the bison and rabbits. Perhaps in the future some of you should come join our hunts, we would be thrilled to teach you some of our knowledge.."

He was pleased to know that Bhediya was interested. "We have a few mercenaries in our care, one of which is the Matriarch's sister. A well taught lady, very capable of taking a whelp or two under her apprenticeship. As for us, I have a girl looking in the field of medicine." Greyback thought about Arlette and that sly boy she seemed to be spending time with. He would rather her focus be on the trade at hand rather than in the clouds with that boy.

"I am also interested in furthuring my counselor trade, thus I think it would be an opportune moment to travel here every so often to continue. I would like to learn more about your pack."

571 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Easy gave a small shake of her head when addressed. "The deer are returning, but not in large enough numbers to hunt. We're surviving on small game for the moment, and I think we should continue that while we can in order to give the deer a chance to settle in again."

Feel free to skip me, she will jump in as needed/maybe not at the perfect moment. You can ignore this part and consider it part of the past conversation.
JoiMorningbreeze!
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
a much more eloqouent answer than the magician would have given. bhediya smiled at easy before turning her attention back to greyback. we have two healers that i know of; a young woman named reiko, and marten, a young boy. there were a lot of faces to keep track of behind the border, so she didn't fault herself for the slight unsureity.

i'm the only counselor here, but i'd be happy to help. this potential partnership, could it repair the broken ties between bhediya and valette? she was hopeful. there are three other leaders here, ibis, kavik, and awol. i'm sure they would be happy to hear your interest.

she remembered greyback's mention of keeping schedule. if you'd like, the scout continued, you're welcome to visit again, with or without guests. we can keep you overnight, if that makes things easier. bhediya wasn't welcome at easthollow, as had been made clear on multiple occasions. or someone from uaine gorsedd can make the visit, whichever you'd prefer.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
sorry for the late reply! Was traveling back home from the holidays

Greyback perked his ears at the mention of Marten. He hadn't seen the boy in such a long time. In fact—not since Vespera's suicide attempt. Such an ugly thing... The man tried not to think too much on the unbecoming topic. "I'm glad to hear Marten is in your care. He's a smart lad, loyal. Do give him my best wishes." Greyback smiled once more, he would have to tell Laurel of the news. Surely she would be thrilled to hear the white boy was in good hands.

"In the meantime, I will have a talk with my wolves to discuss them—and I, visiting your lovely home." The man bowed at that, tipping his nose to the earth in a sign of gratitude before standing tall and giving a firm nod to the dark woman. "You have been gracious, Easthollow will not forget this. But i'm afraid I have no time to spare in getting back." He let out a nervous chuckle. "You know how families are, always worrying." There was no doubt in his mind that Valette was worrying as he now spoke.

Turning to leave, he glanced back once more at Bhediya and Easy, taking in their forms against the backdrop of their home. Uaine Gorsedd. Easthollow. May their fates be intertwined...

759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
you're good! i'm going to wrap this.

an air of pride swelled in bhediya's chest, hidden behind plumes of curled fur. this was the second fruitful alliance negotiation she'd facilitated. it might have been awol's mission, but it'd gone down as her success. he'd have to work harder if he planned to keep up, she thought.

don't keep them waiting, bhe laughed, we'll be here when you return. it was a promise of prosperity for them both; uaine gorsedd would still stand, as would the leaders of the hollow. the scout stood to wait for greyback's exit before turning and heading back to the territory's heart.